Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would'nt go around bragging about how fooloish you are. All it takes is for someone to walk past you and get a shock, collapse etc and you are up crap creek with no paddle. It is against the law for a good reason.

Go get a budgie if you want to walk down the street with an animal on your shoulder.

Sorry people but there are far too many people with stupid comments that are giving people (new to herps) false and misleading information on this site lately. When you get your license and your reptile you are supposedly abiding by the rules of what you hold.

PP87 you are extremly foolish to think that DSE or the like people are not on this site as silent members. Who knows what is around the corner? Is it wirth risking your animals.

does 87 reflect your IQ or your age
Lol,
You said it like it should be said shamous1!
And yes, laws do vary from state to state, so if a herper isn't happy about our advice and still wants to risk their pet's life or doing something illegal, then they should read up about it for their particular state first!
If you can't find the legislation or trust information given here, then email your local EPA representative and get it in writing.
If you still can't get an answer, then my advice is don't do it! In most states (eastern) you need a permit or exhibitors licence to cover this anyway. I mean, what would happen if you walked down to the local newsagent and an old lady had a heart attack and then sued your pants off for a couple of million! I know it's not fair, but that's how today's screwed up society works.

well i dont think im on a ego trip if i want to take him dwn the park as there is heaps of area for him to move arnd as i dnt have a big frnt yard. and yes he is my pet i have named him and let him out arnd the house, but as every1 has stated its nt legal so i dnt think it wld b a gd idea to take him dwn the park, just hope sme1 doesnt have a heart attack wen i gt him in my frnt yard cos people do stare at me wen i have him out there lol

Stare

In your front yard I would say let them stare. Snakes are a freak factor for everyone who does not have them. We are freaks in the eys of most other people due to the fact that we choose to have reptiles which is a bit different to the norm.

I quite often handle my animals in the front yard but I'm still always mindfull of the old, the young, the posty, the junk mail lady:lol: and realise that they might walk past any second.

The fact remains that you could still be held liable if something happened. All it takes is for someone to ring the local council and tell the ranger that you were walking down the street with a snake around your neck. The council will contact the department and you will get fined (in the least) and possibly have your animals taken from you and your license supsended or cancelled.

I'd hate for that to happen to any good herper

You cant walk snakes becuase they dont have legs.

I thought you could get ONE snake without a license. If you then wanted to sell that snake, or get another one, you have to get a license?

Also, it must be in the legislation somewhere, as when I want to use my snakes for display purposes at a location other than the address on my license, I have to get a letter of consent with the particular animals, and date etc. I too am curious where this is in the legislation. I will investigate............

In SA the legislation is you can have ONE protected species without the need for permit providing it is obtained from a licensed source. If you want to get rid of this animal.. even if you want to give it away you must purchase a basic keep and sell and you can not do this with in 6 months of purchase unless you gain approval... As for walking/taking them out... its a tricky one.. i like the idea of natural sunlight..(uv) but with the mites etc... it was said "i don't take my animals to trees or grass i am not familiar with" can i say that unless you have trees or grass growing in a lab or inside your house you can not guarantee it will not have mites even if it is your front/back yard.. as mites are transfered through birds.. can i ask.. Do you check every bird that lands or deposits a fecal sample in your yard/tree for mites??? SERIOUSLY!! cause if the answer is no which i am sure it is you can not assure me that the tree in your yard DOES NOT have mites.. So if your willing to take your reptiles outside in the first place and allow them to slither or walk on the grass or trees then you take a gamble with picking up mites or other parasites...

Wow Shamous way harsh!!!

If you actually bothered to read my post, you would have noticed that I actually agree with you thats its a stupid idea to want to take them out to the park, where they could be exposed to mites and parasites!!

But you know what!!..... I'm really proud to be a snake owner, and if I'm a bad person for wanting to show them off to the world then so be it!!:x

python princess i wasnt having a go at you i knw u love ur reptiles i was just reacting to wat sme other people said abt me thts all

demonstrating?

In all states it's illegal. Unless you have a license to do so, such as a demonstrators license. You can however get permission to take them to your local school as I did when my son did a project on Reptiles. As long as I was not getting paid for it and the animals were not getting overly stressed it was allowed. I lived across the road from the school which made things very easy.

As far as harness for monitors. You can buy them. They are made for Laceys and other Goanna species.

shamous,

Did you have to go through all the usual paperwork to take your snake across to the school?

Per

Haha, Mr Bredli - you know that crush thread? Yup, you just found yourself an admirer. That was classic.

So, person wanting to take snake for walkies.... is somebody wanting to show off maybe? Somebody buy their snake for the 'wow' factor? Honestly, buy a dog. Or a baby. You can put them both on a leash.

Oh can you tell me where I can buy a baby. My wife wants one.

I asked a few of my pythons if they wanted to go for a walk, and they all said no. However my beardie put up her hand for one.

When i first got my first snake he went everywhere with me and he seemed to like it, as i didn't need a permit for one snake in SA i had no idea but now the furthest they go outside of the house is the front lawn or the back yard, we have had people driving past reverse and ask us about them and one kid begged his mum to stop and let him look while walking past.

This year my daughter has already asked if we can take one to her kindy so does anyone in SA know if i can just take it around the corner to the kindy or if i have to contact the right people for permission?

I'm still trying to find that out Bubbaloush as everyone continues to say its illegal and yet no one can say what makes it illegal. As for people continuing to point to licensing conditions, I do not have a license (nor required to do so) as my Wife and I only have one snake each, not breading, not selling and housed separately. Surely if its illegal it must be somewhere else, its not in the NPAW Act nor the associated regulations as far as I have had the time to read.

Anyone got the answer?

10 years back I had 2 bearded dragons and I made each a collar and I took them for walks in my yard. Too many owners walking loose dogs so I didint want to go "further". Last summer I had my JCP on the lawn outside my house. I like to believe he liked it... I did.

IMGP0164.jpg

But here in Sweden Im not sure if its legal to walk your reptile in public. How ever, it would be MAD walking a Goulds Monitor down the road... No one would give you the ****s thats for sure... :)

//Nick

yo i need help finding a cheap spotted puthon and my dads friend takes his snakes for walks

FWIW people, I made harnesses for two of my beardies, yes I do take them for walks (gets a bit of natural uv into them...). My little girl used to help me dig in the garden ('cept she used to dig up what I just planted!) and my little man (now 9yo) used to climb the trees!
Re: the snakes, I too take them for "walks", only I don't like to scare people either, so before I leave my driveway with snake around shoulder, I check first to see if people are coming either way (just like driving!), then off we go! They seem to really enjoy being outside in the sun (can't wait to get my Water Python for this!!!) and "sleep" really well later!
Just my two cents' worth...
Best,
Carolyn
By the way, I'm in SA...

Seriously if you want to dangle a snake off yourself and walk the streets, your in it for the wrong reasons.
NO WAY KNOWN does any snake enjoy that.

To do so is clearly for the "W*** Factor" of it all.

Regardless of how legal or illegal it is, its 100% stupid.

Beg Yours

so can any help me?

No.1 It is polite to intro yourself for your first post.

N0.2. To look for animals that interest you check in the "For Sale thread"

No.3. Your dads friends must be so cool to do that or very irresponsible and not aware of the laws or the penalties that they may face if caught.

No.4. Do your dads friends have a license?:shock:

No.5. Before asking "So can anyone help me?" Wait at least 3 minutes before expecting an answer or you could wait a few hours like the rest of us for an answer, especially if it's of the non-urgent nature.

No.6. If I have missed out anything can anyone please correct me or ad to this.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back