Mosquito Fish Bait ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgie

Reaction score
Does anyone know what bait i can use to catch Mosquito Fish using a bait net.

I have used a a butterfly net on a long poll but with not a lot of luck.

Any help would be Appreciated.:)

anything....they pretty much go crazy for anything that isnt mosquito larvae :p

you could try bread, or i have used chicken pellets as well. luncheon meat i've use my hands as well and they try eating your hands and you just cup them out. or if you have a net jsut net them stuff bait just scrape it through and catch tonnes

If only it was that easy:)they see me coming and there gone.I have tried bread and dry dog food.I was hoping someone would know of something they could't resist.

deavon sausage, is the best stuff to use, when you scoop just scoop once or twice every 5 mins, you will get more that way

deavon sausage, is the best stuff to use, when you scoop just scoop once or twice every 5 mins, you will get more that way

any good places around ipswich to get them mines bigger, i used to ahve tonnes in my dam which i would jsut harvest when i wanted them, but now that i moved out here i dont have any and i liek useing a pest species as fish or turtle food its a win win situation

bundamba creek down by the bridge at blackstone is pretty good, always a chance of seeing a turtle or snake too, umm kholo is ok but you need a bait trap but hey if you want some send me a pm and we could meet up and i can show ya some places around ipswich

If you stocked your dam with native local freshwater species, you could also use them as feeders
for your turtle aswell as mosquito control.
The problem with stocking your dam with feral exotic species is if/when your damn over flows
so do the fish, possibly spreading them into local water ways.
DPI support the collection of local native fish species for ponds/dams instead of using problem
species.

Here is all the info.
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2610.html

hahah we didnt put them in my dam australis, they are just there, though the perch seem to keep the numbers down.

the trick is to kneel down next to the water with your butterfly net about 40cm underneth the water, you then throw some bread in and around the net, you have to wait a little while (about 3-5 mins) and be very still,as soon as a few start eating the rest will follow and then bang,bring the net up quickly...you can get about 40 in one scoop. i have had a few .........hope i explained it ok

yeah tha works well, me and my brother used to scrape the creeks and pull out hundreds every time, though we never had any use for them back then

Does anyone know what bait i can use to catch Mosquito Fish using a bait net.

I have used a a butterfly net on a long poll but with not a lot of luck.

Any help would be Appreciated.:)

I've done this many times when I had a murray cod a few years back. I tried using a scoop net but it never worked well for me.

Get some mosquito net and attach it between 2 broomsticks to make a net like this (i use longer handles)

KICKNETB.JPG

Find some likely still water on your local creek and lay the net on the bottom. walk away for a few moments, and then come back and just lift it out of the water keeping it horizontal. If your creeks are like ours you'll have 50 - 60 fish in no time. you'll probably also get leeches and damsel nymphs if you are lucky :)

If you use a bait trap, I always prefer to leave the zip open, very few seem to get in via the funnels.

also check your local regulations. some of those traps are illegal to use in fresh water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back