Snappy Childrens Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mzpython

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tasha,

I'm new to this....I have recently bought a 3yr old childrens python (Monty) which was handled for 2yrs but has not been handled in the last 12 months. When I put my hand into the cage it sniffed it before biting me. What I should do so that I can handle the snake without it biting me?

Gday use a hook to get him out then just gently put your hand under his body and remove the hook it works for me some snake are very bitey in they-er cage and settle down well when out

Hope this is a help

Lewy

I would just put my hand in grab in quickly and don't muck about.
Just to show it your afraid of it and who's boss.

Gday use a hook to get him out then just gently put your hand under his body and remove the hook it works for me some snake are very bitey in they-er cage and settle down well when out

Hope this is a help

Lewy

couldnt of said it better.. hooks are great tools and i always use them no matter how timid the snake is cause there is always that chance that it thinks that its gettin food then im on bad side of a nasty bite..good luck anyway..

Yeah sometimes my snake thinks it's feed time when I put my hands in, but if I go in and lift her up with the hook she soon realises that it isn't feed time. If you do use yours hands don't muck around just go in and grab it (let it know your there first or it might get a shock). If you just sit there with your hands in front of it it might expect that they're food.

thankyou very much for you help, I will try the hook idea and more feedback would be appreciated thanks as i hav only had the snake for a week :)

thankyou very much for you help, I will try the hook idea and more feedback would be appreciated thanks as i hav only had the snake for a week :)

Give it another week to settle in before even attempting to handle it... 1-2 weeks is basic rule of thumb for new acquisitions. Then you can even start by placing a tea towel over the pythons head to remove from the enclosure, or using the hook.

PIcking them up before they get a chance to "stand up" and so forth is perfect. They don't bite if you pick them up b4 they get a chance to scare you and strike.

PIcking them up before they get a chance to "stand up" and so forth is perfect. They don't bite if you pick them up b4 they get a chance to scare you and strike.
I agree with this and Brettix. My stimmy is an angel but if I let her smell my hand in the cage she sometimes will bite--I had to work out this is a snake not a dog! I can never find the hook so I just get her out quick, sometimes putting my palm gently over her head, grabbing the coils with my other hand. He who hesitates gets bit!

Also if your spotted is really snappy its helpful to use a hook to get it out on a reguar basis, before you start to handle him. This way he should get use to being taken out of his enclosure and that no harm will come to him outside of his hide.

I had a jungle that was.....nasty, to say the least. But I use to move it all the time to let it get some sunlight and exercise and now her temparment has improved dramatically, not a puppy dog yet, be we are working on it!!:D

Good Luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back