Genuine or Bootleg?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonustokin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I recently bought a promo cd and was just wondering if there is anyway to check if its genuine or not? Someone has said there are websites that show you how to tell, but I'm yet to find one....

Its a Frenzal Rhomb CD, Sans Souci is the album name, and its ment to be a CDR Promo that was sent to radiostations and alike...

All help appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill.

Promo CD's are meant to be free, Hence the name promo

Honestly though see if they have like "fan forums" or the like and describe/post a picture and ask if anybody knows the contributing factors to it being legit.
Other than that im not too sure how you would find out

The Rhomb guys dont want to help hey lol. I see questions like that all the time on their forums, and they just answer with some smart**** remark :lol:

I am not in doubt that there were promo CDR's sent to radio stations, but just want to know if THIS copy I HAVE is genuine or not...... It seems real enough, the CDR has been printed and says "Shock" on it which is the label that released the album, but someone still could of bodged it up.....

Surely there is some program that you can put the disc in the cd-rom drive and it finds out for ya??? Or something similar???

Heres pics on my disc....

Attachments

• frenzal 003.jpg
    frenzal 003.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 63
  • frenzal 004.jpg
    frenzal 004.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 59
The song titles on the insert have been edited coz of the swearing, it actually shows the correct song names.

You can check the center of the disc (around the hole) and see what's on that.
I forget exactly what to look for,but there's something there you can check i think (same with PS games).

Yeah in the center of the CD should be an etched description. Most commercial CDs have some sort of identification on it.

Look on the reverse side, where the shiny surface is. Just in between the information and the clear plastic should be a thin silver ring. Hold it to the light, and the mark should be there.

Another option is to stick it in your PC, and go to the Properties of the CD. Under more info or whatever and maybe it'll show the Author or some info as to who burnt the CD.

Thanks for the help guys!
Ok on that silver ring, it just has a code R020-1201-5071. So i have no idea what that means :lol:
And i cant seem to find any info in properties..... if i right click on my cd-rom drive and go to properties, theres no info or "more info" tab or anything and same thing if i right click on a track and go to properties.... anywhere else i can check?

Thanks
Bill.

guys.... ? dont abandon me.... :lol:

Anymore ideas or anyone know what that code means?

Seems pretty dodgy to me. It has the album art, yet for some reason they didn't bother printing the CD art as well? That makes no sense. Also, according to wiki-

"It was released by Epitaph Records in Australia and Fat Wreck Chords elsewhere around the world."

It doesn't make sense they would put the record label on the CD when it would be epitaph that would be promoting it.

Thanks, and i appreciate your help peas :)

But it was Manufactured and distributed by Shock Records under exclusive agreement with Epitaph. So that part does actually make a bit of sense.
And with the cover art on the sleeve and no art on the cd, its because This CD was ment to be a Promo CDR sent to radiostations before the art work was done for the disc.... when i bought it, the description said "Pre- Art work".

This might be more difficult then i thought :(

bonus i see you are from ballina, so am i. your the first person ive seen whos from ballina :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back