Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick your hand in and take it, I've had my snakes for 18nths and have not been tagged yet. I think they are waiting until they can inflict some real damage. I want to get it out of the way but they dont strick even after I have handeled rats.

Are your snakes coiled and following your hand? I dangled a glove and he striked it...so I have no doubt he will go my hand. Its over now...im leaving him in his new enclosure for a day or so and let him get used to it...then ill have to get him out and feed him.

No, I started with a MD then a Spotted and then Bredli and they are all very placid. I wish one would just tag me so I can get it over and done with. I think I may have to get a jungle. He may just need some time to settle in and feel safe.

Yeh quad i had him 4 a month knw 4 the first 2 weeks he wldnt eat, gt a bit worried but every1 on here assured me it was normal, nw he eats like a trooper, he is still cage protective arnd feeding time which is normal, but as soon as i grab him out i take him outside on the lawn for 1 or 2 hours or arnd the house just as long as the missus aint arnd lol

you might as well get used getting the occasional tag
cos you are are going to get one every now and then
it goes with keeping snakes

i find that if i namby pamby (yes its a technical term) about when going to pick mine up is when he gets jittery and bites....if its just quick hook him then bring my hand up underneath him he will flinch a bit but will generally not actually bite. He still does not really like being handled but is only just over a year old so might settle down some more. I had heaps of "stuff" in the enclosure for a while but it just makes it so hard to get them out sometimes, my childrens and womas not so much coz they dont really hang onto to branches etc, but the jungles can be a bit a tricky so i took a few bits and pieces out of their enclosures.
Good luck and let us knwo it goes.....

Yeah its great fun getting an adult jungle out of the cage when he's got his tail wrapped firmly around a branch and his mouth on your forearm.

I now have removable branches :D

Mate, I can't beleive the psuedo experts taking your question as a joke..It's a forum for people to get advice not the BS that I have just read. Not everyone's as experienced as you people..w..kers
The more you handle your snake the more it won't feel threatened by you and WILL calm down with more frequent handling.
You will get tagged, but don't pull back and like others said, "take it like a man" like to see those girls who said that...
Be persistant and things should settle, just give your animal time to calm down, no quick moves etc.
Good luck..

Yeah, regular handling is the only way to get a jungle to calm down, unless it's personality is calm already!! I have a yearling jungle and experience the same problem!

As I'm not a man (in order to take it like a man) this is my trick: I wear gloves when handling my jungle, that way it gets use to being handled, there is no damage caused to her shen she bites and when she does bite I don't freak out and drop her or something. It's a win:win. But Scm1 is right, persistance is the key, 'it won't happen over night, but it will happen';).

Good luck!!

Hook him through the centre of his coils and quickly put him in your hand. Keep your hand opened and flat cause fingers that are spread or sticking up are easy targets. If he looks like biting your hand or wrist make small motions with your other hand, just enough to overt his attention and just out of range. If he's calm and decides to go for a stroll then as he reaches out bring one hand under the other to catch his fall and encourage him to explore (if he sees your hand coming he will bite it!). With age he will get better and calm down but unfortunately you are going to get bitten. Hope this helps, best of luck.

Best way I find to get over the fear is to just cop one. Just think of it as an angry pine cone. Doesn't hurt at all, they usually grow out of it so just handle it heaps and hope for the best. One of mine has quietend down after being a big biter, and he is only just a yearling. All in all mate, you made the right choice in a snake!!

let it settle in to its new enclosure, then you can start handling it. to get it out you can try putting a piece of paper over it's head then pick it up from the middle.keep your movements slow and steady and try not to hesitate.they can sense fear so try not to be to scared and then the jungle wont be as scared as well [ less bitey ]. once you do get taged then you will be shocked how little it hurts especially how young it is. ive been tagged by my 7 foot female darwin twice in the last 3 months ,first time she has ever tagged me since having her as a hatchling 10 years ago. and that still does'nt hurt at all bleeds a lot tho for a while . so just put your hand in [ not above its head ] and grab it out, cause you are the boss. :shock:

Thanks for all the replies guys...im going to feed him tomorrow or the day after so till then he's in his new enclosure getting settled. Came home from Iron Maiden and he was hiding in the branches but when I got home hes out in the open on the main branch so he's looking a little more settled.

Ill let you's know how I go over the next couple of days ;)

best way to handle a jungle is to leave the poor thing alone, simple as that.!!
Why do you think most jungles behave like that??, because they DONT like human contact.
If you want something to play with get a dog or a cat, or maybe a beardie, but most snakes,( jungles inparticular), donot like to be handled. I dont care what anyone says, this is fact.
Some will handle it, most wont, but even with the animals that do handle it, it dosnt mean that they like it, and it can and does cause alot of problems at times.

If you need to move the snake, use a hook.

I agree with using a hook to move your animals, While I don't handle my animals too often, I do get them out once a week and give them a good looking over, It's a lot easier to keep a good record of your animals health if you can handle it and examine any problems without getting your face bitten off.

yeah i have a female jungle(mission beach) that is getting worse to handle as time goes by. i just keep her handling (hooking) to a minimum. at the end of the day if you want something cuddly buy a kitten or puppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back