Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin_Jane

Reaction score
So, Ben (Bump73) has his heart set on a bredli (or probably any huge & terrifying snake as far as I can tell!) and we had a bit of an argument last night because I'm still pretty petrified by the idea.

I've only handled a snake once before and it was tiny and I was ok with it, but I also knew I could give it back to the owner at any time I wanted.

It has taken me a long time to warm to the idea of lizards & I now have my own 2 baby beardies that I adore and I'm comfortable handling Ben's blueys too (except Satan coz he charges at my face!), but I'm just not sure I'm ready to have a snake living in the same house as me.

So... I want the truth... if I'm scared of snakes & shiver being in the same room as them (but try to act tough!), how will I handle it if Ben gets a bredli hatchling? Am I correct in thinking they strike at anything for the first year or so? (Ben's story keeps changing on that point)

How easily can these things escape??? (I think I'd have to leave Ben if I woke up and the bredli was in the bed!!)

I feel guilty telling Ben he can't have a snake because I'm scared (though the 2 other guys we live with aren't that keen either!), so I need convincing... but in a truthful way!!

Cheers,

EJ

Come on people i really need help with this one:lol::lol:

My argument so far has been that if Nikki_Elmo has one and she's 11 surely she has nothing to be scared of....And that it would be the best way to confront what i see as an irrational fear..

HELP ME!!!!

Ben

My bredli is the most placid snake eva!!! My fiancw not real keen but she is getting betta, would prob have to leave too if one got out in the house so your not alone.

Get a hatchie first and then you will be able to watch it grow and by the time it's big you will be used to it.
My 3 year old daughter loves to hold my 4ft spotted , so don't be such a sook.

I think if you are that scared of hqaving a snake in your home then you should consider getting a different pet. Snakes certaintly aren't for everyone, same as cats aren't for everyone. Maybe you could think about a blue tongue or bearded dragon instead.

Bredli are very snappy as htachies but they generally do grow out of it. All snakes are awesome escape artists but with the right enclosure you wont have an escape problem.

My girlfriend was completly freaked out by the idea of snakes, shivered even when I spoke of them..lol But since she has come into contact with them she actually quite likes them and even handles my adult Darwin. As for the snake escaping into the house, they will if you allow them to, but do your research, get a suitable enclosure for it and always remember to close the lid/door firmly and you'll have no probs. If the snake does manage to escape, the only concern you should have is for the welfare of the snake...It will not eat you.

Generally if they are going to bite they are more likely too when they are younger, when it won't hurt nearly as much (if at all).

Escape shouldn't really be a problem if you keep it in a click clack for the first year or so untill it fattens up and couldn't squeeze through the gaps in most enclosures glass.

i have 2 bredli that have never bitten for 3 yrs and i have 2 that have bitten since they were hatchies. hope this helps

Jungle Mad....I don't think your avatar is going to help me thats for sure:lol::lol:

Ben

Ben/Erin.

If your interested you can come over to mine and check out some adults carpets (Bredl's, Coastals etc) and see how you go with handling them. I also have some small carpet babies here for you to play with, if you don't want to play with a big snake just yet.

PM me.

Kane

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

you are a sook i have this problem alot i really do NOT understand how so many people could be afraid of a NON VENOMOUS animal that cannot kill you, will not eat you, and MIGHT bite you if you annoy it (as of any other creature i am sure!) i have a deep passion for these creatures so, sorry if i seem a little touchy, its just that people are afraid of snakes for a reason that is never explained, there really is no reason i have heard that is even one bit legitimate. dogs bite, cats bite, birds bite (harder then snakes if the parrot hates you lol) please someone give me a legit reason and i might back down..

in all sincerity, i think Ben should get the snake. my family was opposed to the idea of me getting myne, and they eventually got over it. my mum has even handled george. my dad wont go near george but respects him and doesnt mind him in the house so long as he doesnt get out.

please dont take offense, only my opinion (and im sorta having a bad day lol)

Nat ;)

See, the problem is that Ben is notorious for his shocking memory & I'm worried that the enclosure will accidentally get left open.

I'm not against him getting one ever, I just haven't had much contact with them at all and I'm still terrified, seems like a big move to go from holding one for 2 minutes, to having one in the room with me all the time.

I'm sure I'd get used to it after a while, but I'd kind of like a little more contact with one to help overcome my fears before I have to live in the same house as it.

you are a sook i have this problem alot i really do NOT understand how so many people could be afraid of a NON VENOMOUS animal that cannot kill you, will not eat you, and MIGHT bite you if you annoy it (as of any other creature i am sure!) i have a deep passion for these creatures so, sorry if i seem a little touchy, its just that people are afraid of snakes for a reason that is never explained, there really is no reason i have heard that is even one bit legitimate. dogs bite, cats bite, birds bite (harder then snakes if the parrot hates you lol) please someone give me a legit reason and i might back down..

in all sincerity, i think Ben should get the snake. my family was opposed to the idea of me getting myne, and they eventually got over it. my mum has even handled george. my dad wont go near george but respects him and doesnt mind him in the house so long as he doesnt get out.

please dont take offense, only my opinion (and im sorta having a bad day lol)

Nat ;)

Don't get me wrong, I respect them, but I also like having MY space respected. The snake would be living in the room that I have just taken over as primarily MY sewing room (seeing as I live with 3 guys I like having a room to go to so that I'm not in their way all the time), and that room happens to be where the other reptiles live. I don't want to have to feel terrified to go into a room that I'm paying rent for when I want my own space.

I totally understand that it's not venomous etc, but the fact remains, that legitimate or not, to be fearful of snakes is something I've had drummed into my head since I was a child and that kind of thing isn't erribly easy to overcome.

I'd love to not be affraid of them, but at this stage, the idea makes me incredibly uncomfortable and I just don't know that I want to be put in a position where I am forced to overcome this fear on someone elses terms and not my own.

i have 2 bredli that have never bitten for 3 yrs and i have 2 that have bitten since they were hatchies. hope this helps

Thanks for the honesty, I really appreciate it. Though Ben's kind of right, the avatar is a worry! haha... :lol:

Ok Erin,
Lets see if I can put your mind at ease.
Some pythons can be a bit snappy as hatchlings, but get a toothbrush and hit yourself in the hand with it, thats what a hatchling biting feels like. After being handled for a few weeks 98% will settle down.
Ive attached a photo of my mates 6 year holding my coastal, He is 9 and about 10 foot, (about 8 foot in photo) If Mia can do it SO CAN YOU :)

Attachments

• Mia & Kramer.jpg
    Mia & Kramer.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 87
Every snake is different. Some bite, some don't.
My sisters husband had a phobia of snakes and after over a year he can now hold little snakes and be next to me when I'm holding bigger ones.
So point of my story: you can definetly get over it. So buy a click clack (so it's harder to forget to close it) and take a chance.

Ben,
Your mistake was asking for permission :)

Hahaha...true.

I think bredlis are a good first snake they are so placid im not just saying it so ben can get one but i have one and my little 4 year old cusin handles him his never biten me or any1 else. I think you and ben should go over to MrSpike and handle his bredli and when you do get use to holding snakes you will want to buy one. Hope that help ben haha goodluck mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back