snake enclosure timber

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukey47

Reaction score
Hi All
For a school project im making a snake enclosure and i need to research info for portfolio and i was wondering what timbers would be suitable to use and what timbers to stay away from.
i was thinking of using a veneered MDF. easy to clean, looks better than white melamine, dont absorb water. thanks
:) regards tyson

hey lukey
you are right and wrong about mdf absorbing water
it does absorb it just like particle board all but slower mind you
unless it is sealed /vennered like you said
but any point water can get into it it will absorb it
i have heard pine can be toxic but dont quate me
i t could be treated pine im getting confussed with
hope that helps

id just go melamine its cheap easy to clean easy to drill into

i use 12mm ply for mine and seal it with water based clear coat, its strong sturdy and light weight to move

ok yeh i thin treated pine is toxic cause of chemicals.
umm well i think yeh maybe ill stick to veneered mdf because easy to work with also will make sure no scratches, but yeh i know bare mdf absorbs water lol :) thanks all just to let u know if cool with use i will b using this on my portfolio just as proof to say ive researched it lol

Just a thought mate,( I am a carpenter) treated pine is toxic do not use. MDF is toxic too , very bad to inhale when cutting or drilling. Its the glues. When you make your enclosure make sure you seal it properly and also with silicon around the inside corners.

Hiya Lukey. Mate, I use MDF as it is easy to manage, cheap and light. The only thing I can really recommend is for a frame use dressed timber (pine is OK), this is strong, plyable and easy to use. I use 19x42mm pine and simply screw my 19mm MDF to the frame. I use wood glue to strengthen the bond. As for silicon, I would stay away from that due to the toxicity and the fact that if you have it near heat it can react badly. I would recommend using an acrylic gap filler. Get a painters gap filler, they a low toxic and relatively harmless. I would also use a water based paint. Just make sure no materials you use are positioned near an exposed heat source such as a 100w light bulb as this can cause fires. Use a small gauge wire cage around your light in order to stop your rep from getting injuries.

As for lighting, I use 12v down lights to heat mine and regulate the temperature with a dimmer. I am planning on posting photographs shortly, but the rain here in Deeral is awesome and has stopped me from working on my project.

Have fun Lukey and good luck with your portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back