computer fan setup help please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geckodan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to put a couple of computer fans in my incubator for air circulation. Those that I have seen advertised are all low voltage with a little three pin socket. Does anybody know what transformer type is needed and how to set it up or can they be purchased as a 240 v unit.?

Dan, I assume the 3 pins cable is red, black, yellow?

If so, with PC's the red is 12v, black is ground, yellow is usually only used by the mainboard/bios on the PC to control/monitor fan speed so isn't used for an incubator.

Just go to Jaycar/Tricky Dicky and just get a 12v power pack (tell them what you want it for so they sell you the right thing) with either raw ends or a plug on it and cut the plug off, and *get your licenced electrician* to wire it up to the 2 red & black, of course. :)

Hi geckodan! Just a few weeks ago I went into dick smith electronic to take a look at what gear I would need. The fella at the shop help me and set up a system instore that works extremely well. It consists of 2 Computer fans (they are 12 volt) with no plug, a 12 volt power supply, a pot (to change the resistance) so I can control fan speed, and a little bare plug that I soldered my wires from the fans to. The wires from the fan solder to the pot. From there the wires solder to the plug and the power supply plugs right in. Plug it into the wall and your underway. It was easy as! (You do need to know how to use a multimeter) I installed the pot out side the incubator and its a matter of turning the dial to adjust the fan speed. Easy peasy! It cost me about $80 all up including some tape, 10 meters of wire and some cable ties. If you need anymore info please ask.

Oh, I meant to add, make sure you get a fan with ball bearing sleeve, not plastic sleeve as the cheapo plastic sleeves don't last long - and its obviously going to be running 24/7. The last thing you want is the fan to burn out. Also if you check the Jaycar specs on the fans you can see RPM specs etc - I just chose a low RPM since its just to circulate the air and didn't bother with varying speed.

I am wanting to put a couple of computer fans in my incubator for air circulation. Those that I have seen advertised are all low voltage with a little three pin socket. Does anybody know what transformer type is needed and how to set it up or can they be purchased as a 240 v unit.?
jaycar keep 240v fans that just plug in to a regular power point.

Either that or go to your local computer store and buy a computer power supply unit, it will come with the advantage of having the matching sockets so you can plug the fans straight in.

I have just used a standard 12 volt transformer(as used for outdoor lighting etc.). They dont use much power so the cheapest one will probably be powerful enough. The wattages should be on the fan anyway. Or just use a computer power supply as suggested, you could probably find an old one for free.

re computer

Hi dan,ive taken some pics for you of my setup,it just works with an on off thermostat that controls the two 30 watt heat pads and bows air across them when they are on,been going for years.The fan is heavy so it just sits loose on the drinks grate,it blows just enough air to assist circulation in a big incubator,its numbers are on it although upside down,the litte clips you need to attach the wires are available from radio shops.This is all simple for standard on off setup cant help with other thermostats i onley use on and offs,its help cook dragons,monitors and pythons.

Last edited:
Dan,
Dick Smiths sell 240Volt fans as well as low voltage ones.

Cheers,

Craig

re computer

Dan,
Dick Smiths sell 240Volt fans as well as low voltage ones.

Cheers,

Craig

Mines upside down in pic,but its Dick Smiths Y8500 240 V been going for years :)

12V fans are safer! If you use 2nd hand fans put a couple in. That way if one goes there's a back up.

Only a suggestion.

Per

U clould plug it into your Motherboard in ur puta but that mite be a bit odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back