Prey Size Chart

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Layzboy_6294

Hey,
I was thinking it would be a good idea if someone could put a prey size chart up for snakes. I was thinking start at mice, rats, rabbits, chickens and quails. Im fairly new to reptiles so i wouldnt mind some sort of graph, chart, layout, etc to see what my snakes should be eating and in what order to move to the next sized meal for them.
Layzboy.

Good Idea....

But...... there are quite a few variables that you do need to think about.....

Size of snake.... Species of Snake.... Climate Snake is In..... Time of Year....... Etc etc.....

if you go to DOLITTLE farm .com , thay have a rough giude ...

it is a bit bigger than pinkies - just when they start getting their fur/colours - they feel very soft and smooth to touch.

What about size to weight / length... as form is the same no matter what species.... am i wrong?

This could be completely irrelevant...but I was looking at all the pretty coloured corn snakes on the net and found this chart...perhaps it is only good for corn snakes though...

The below chart is a good general guideline to accurately feed your Corn Snake with mice to provide the nutrition it needs. Prey should not be bigger than 1+12 the snake's body girth. Each snake is different and you should adjust the snake's meals size, quantity, and the frequency accordingly.

Snake weight Mouse Type Mouse weight Frequency
4–15 g Single Pinky 2–3 g 7 days
16–23 g Double Pinky 2–3 g times two 7 days
23-30 g Double Large Pinky 4-5 times two 7 days
30–40g Small fuzzies 5–7 g 7 days
40–50 g Regular fuzzies 7–9 g 7 days
51–90 g Hoppers 9–12 g 7 days
91–170 g Weaned 14–20 g 7 days
170–400 g Adult 24–30 g 7 to ? days
400g+ Jumbo Adults 40–50 g 7 to ? days

This is the link if you want to see the page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_Snake

Last edited:
so ..... i assume that you weigh the snake ...then feed appropriate weight of food?

ide like to know if anyone does this with dragons or other species.... all my dragons eat rodent but i consider size of the head to food...my 6mnth old eats a rat pinky easily... my 14month old eats velvets... multiples of them.... i know he can eat bigger!

sorry for going off topic but it seems relevant to a food size chart issue.... i will be needing a snake one this year!

Reptiles are a bit like children. Just because they'll eat it doesn't mean its good for them. How long until we have weight loss clinics for reptiles. No evidence, but I would suggest that captive fed reptiles eat 5 -10 times more than in the wild and do heaps less for it. You can feed weekly, but the animals are fine if you feed monthly. There is reserch being done to see how quick we can grow reptiles to achieve maximum growth rates. Perhaps it is more relevant to determine how little is required to maintain health.

Wokka is correct in all he says. You don't need a chart simply because there is no set regime for feeding snakes. Most keepers do it routinely because they don't know any different... these animals all feed VERY irregularly in the wild, a large snake might be lucky to eat a good meal 2-3 times in a year, and as Wokka says, they do a lot more exercise to secure those feeds. They have mechanisms which allow them to manage their energy budgets very well. In captivity it is also routine to feed neonates frequent meals to assist in getting them over the delicate stage as quickly as possible. If you need a chart, you don't understand your animals.

Unless I am preparing snakes for breeding, or feeding post-partum females, I feed my animals very irregularly, usually when I think of it and I have the time. Sometimes they will get more on a week to week basis, other times they might go 5-6 weeks without food. Far from being harmful, this is probably good for them.

Jamie.

Im currently feeding my stimmies on velvet mice but ive accidentally bought weaner mice instead. The shops arent open today due to a public holiday and its feed day. If i cut the head off the weaner mice will they be ok to feed to my 9 month old stimmies?

Unless I am preparing snakes for breeding, or feeding post-partum females, I feed my animals very irregularly, usually when I think of it and I have the time. Sometimes they will get more on a week to week basis, other times they might go 5-6 weeks without food. Far from being harmful, this is probably good for them.

im the same, there is no way i would feed my snakes on the same day or even at regular intivals, they get fed when they get fed not because a book or chart tells me when to feed them.
more so i feed the older ones when they are activly looking for a feed and it has been a few weeks since their last big meal or at least over a week since their last feed.

and to add to that ^^^ i feed them differently in the warmer weather than i do in the cooler.

Im currently feeding my stimmies on velvet mice but ive accidentally bought weaner mice instead. The shops arent open today due to a public holiday and its feed day. If i cut the head off the weaner mice will they be ok to feed to my 9 month old stimmies?

How big are your stimmies? They will probably take the larger feed with no worries. I wouldn't cut the head off, it will leave exposed and sharp bones

there not that big and i dont want to overfeed them. Its ok, as i found a pet shop that was opened so i bought the right sized prey. Thank you Asis, for replying to my question and for the advice.

Layzboy - - we go by the diameter of the snake so like the cornsnake site - - 1 1/2 times seems reasonable, then you can vary how often you feed them, ie: sometimes weekly, other times every two weeks (like winter)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back