why is nz darwin still in her water bowl?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TWENTY B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i noticed my darwin was in her water bowl monday morning when i was leaving for work. She was still there when i got home. I checked her for mites. Can't see any in the water. I took some high res photo's and i can't see any in her pits. So i put her back in her enclosure late monday night she was back in the water and is still there now. She shed only a few weeks ago and the temps are fine. 30 / 25. Water temp is 24.6.
Any idea why she would still be in the water? Fully submerged except for her head.
I'll put the pics up this afternoon. They are quite fascinating to see a snake in such detail.

posting from my phone while i'm at work. Damn predictive text.
Nz should obviously be "my"

Nicole i'm pretty sure as i have said in the 1st post. That it's not mites.

Eylant. Humidity is 53% was as much as 68% yesterday.

Twenty B,

I have noticed that the darwins often use their water bowls to soak (esp as hatchies), much more so than any other bunch of carpet hatchies I have bred. Some of my darwin hatchies dont but most do. Probably a humidity thing but nothing to worry about.

Regards
MM

carpets like to sit in there water bow well some like to sit in the bowl i have a nice big water bowl so he can swim a bit

carpets like to sit in there water bow well some like to sit in the bowl i have a nice big water bowl so he can swim a bit

for that long???
she has been in there for around 36hours now...
humidity is 57% now
she has just the tip of her nose out of the water..

pics as promised

Attachments

• close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 45
  • water python.lol.jpg
    water python.lol.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 89
some of our jungles do it alot, they are covered by water so they feel secure... well thats our theory anywayz.

I have two Darwin hatchies and the male just loves to soak in his water bowl...he will stay in all night sometimes but the female hardly ever goes near it. Just preference I suppose!

if she was in the water over night i wouldn't mind. But she has been in there for 48 hours now.

Darwins like high humidity, she may be soaking because your humidity is to low and she may also be coming up for a shed. When did she last shed?

what humidity should it be at?
How do i raise the humidity?
Move the water closer to the heatmat.

That "choice" was suggested to my by a breeder. Although i don't think he breeds darwins.
I'm not that fond of it anyway. Was thinking of a change to paper towel. Handy wipe type stuff.

Yep, the Breeders choice will soak up a fair bit of moisture for sure, that's what it does.

I have found that they like it in the high 60's, just move the water closer to the heat sorce until you can acheive what you are looking for. You could even try 2 water bowls one at the hot end and one mid way, don't be scared to experiment.

Don't you use lights in the unit?

i do have a light but she is only in a large plastic tub at the moment. So the main source of heat is the mat. She will be moving into a larger home soon.

water has been moved over onto the heat a little,
humidity has been at 71% for nearly 24hours now.. she's still in the bloody water..
surly this can't be right...

her last feed was on the 1st, i was planing on feeding her today or tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back