Mass amphibian extinction - you can help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

Reaction score
I'm sure as a group of people interested in herps, many of you would be aware of the crisis facing amphibians worldwide. However, I'm sure many aren't aware of exactly how bad the situation is and what is currently being done to save these endangered animals.

In Australia alone, we have lost 8 species of frogs to extinction in the last thirty years, including the world's only two species of Gastric-brooding Frog. Many others, including Australia's brightly coloured Corroboree Frogs, are bordering narrowly on the edge, with extinction almost imminent without the interevention of zoos, who are currently working intensively on these species. In fact, a quarter of Australia's frogs are on the threatened species list.

Worldwide, amphibians are suffering a rate of extinction that has not been seen since the dinosaurs. One-third to one-half of the world's species could become extinct during our lifetimes. If you would like to learn more about this, please watch the video link below, by Kevin Zippel, the program director of the Amphibian ARK.

[video=youtube;baClbjVWn2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baClbjVWn2I&feature=related[/video]

This year 2008, has been declared Year of the Frog in an effort to raise awareness and funding, in order to save the world's species of amphibians that most require capitve ex-situ management for their survival. If you would like to help this cause, please check out the amphibianark website (www.amphibianark.org) to learn more and if you so wish, donate generously. Targets have been set this year in order to raise enough money to build facilities for some of Australia's most endangered frogs.

For those of you who are not aware of current frog conservation activities, it is worth knowing that some of Australia's key wildlife institutions, including Taronga Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary, Perth Zoo and the Amphibian Research Centre, each are working tirelessy to save some of Australia's most endangered frogs, including the Corroboree Frogs, Booroolong Frogs, Spotted Tree Frog etc. However, in order to expand into other institutions, more funds are needed which can be achieved by donating, or encouraging other to do so, to www.amphibianark.org.

Cheers,

Michael

Signing the online petition is a great way to gain political standing in matters relating to amphibian conservation by demonstarting the interest of people worldwide in this crisis.

i am not much into the frog seen but thats some interesting (and devestating) stuff.
come on people, join the petition at least!

Good thread Macca.

I have made this one a sticky, we need to get behind this great cause and make more people aware of the plight of Amphibians.

Neil

This is terrible! And its amazing how many people are unaware (or couldnt care less) about the problem. We need to raise awareness or this cause will go unnoticed. Everyone should tell at least one person they know to do their part, and AT LEAST sign the petition. Great thread Macca.

The Amphibian Research Centre are currently trying to breeding Corroboree Frogs plus a doing a heap of other work. They also need all the help they can get. Perhaps people would consider buying their food insects from the ARC. The money goes toward the research they do and the insects prices are quite resonable.

http://frogs.org.au/arc/index.html

Per

The Amphibian Research Centre are currently trying to breeding Corroboree Frogs plus a doing a heap of other work. They also need all the help they can get. Perhaps people would consider buying their food insects from the ARC. The money goes toward the research they do and the insects prices are quite resonable.

http://frogs.org.au/arc/index.html

Per

Gerry Marantelli from the Amphibian Research Centre is also on the Steering Committee for amphibian ark. The breeding program for the Corroboree frogs is going well and they are also breeding Litoria spenceri, Spotted Tree Frog which is also classified as critically endangered.

Hi Michael,

Maybe there is some way we can try to help with the mag. Please email me @ [email protected] or phone me on (07) 3496 1233 and leave your details for Troy or myself to contact you if you like. Not sure exactly what we could do, but we could toss a few ideas around.

Cheers
Joy

Signed petition. Remember what they say about frogs, they die--we die!
Apart from that wildlife needs to be preserved, it's the only one we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back