How can you tell sex without probe ???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

francesco.donato

Reaction score
How do I tell the sex off my jungle pyhon , it is 14 mth old , and I really dont wish for someone to stick a probe if necessary. cheers

you can try and pop the hemipene, but its not something you want someone that is inexperienced to try. and it isnt always 100%, take it to the vet and get them to sex it by probe, its ok if its done properly by some1 that knows how.

Probing doesnt hurt the snake if done right.

Popping can be dones straight after hatching but can be very hard to do and unreliable once the snake has enough muscle control to prevent it from happening. After a wekk old I would recommend probing it.

There are people you say they that they can sex by looking at hemipenal buldge but i havent the experience to say whether this is reliable or not as i havent taken the time to see for myself, but the guys who say they can are some very experienced individuals.

Or... wait another year and put it with a male or female. Jungles like a fight, if you put a male in with your jungle and they fight, its a male, if it is put with a female and mates its a female.

Personally find an experienced person to sex it, doesnt hurt the snake in the slightest.

Best regards

MM

you can also tell by the spurs next to the cloaca, but it isnt 100%, if they are bigger its male, if they are smaller its female, alot harder to tell on younger snakes though, get it probed, best and easiest way, and doesnt hurt the snake when done properly

Or... wait another year and put it with a male or female. Jungles like a fight, if you put a male in with your jungle and they fight, its a male, if it is put with a female and mates its a female.

MM

noooo, that would still make it a male. nice suggestions to tell if it's a male!

Take a picture of its vent area side on and post it. i'll have a shot but i'm sure someone else here will and if enough people try it should give you a fair indication

Last edited:
If your not confident, take it to a reptile vet, make sure they are not up and coming though...in Melbourne try bredan carmel at warrenwood, frances scheling (?) or maybe Shane Simpson at Karingal, as for other statees, you would have to get input from others

Probing isnt that accurate either. I have a spotted who was supposed to be a female, had been probed by owner. I had it probed by a very experienced person, again probed female. Went to put "her" in with my male and they went into combat. Put her in with another known male and combatted again.. My she is a he!!!

Put a phone and a stubby of beer in the cage and see which one it goes to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back