Anybody know what this little guy might be?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s_vivo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have seen these guys running around where I work fairly often and just wondering if anyone could idenitfy them? Location : Southern Inland Pilbara (Paraburdoo). Sorry about picture quality taken on the phone and these fellas get a bit skittish when you get too close. I will bring my camera in to work tomorrow and try and get some better shots.

I am not up on names, but that nose looks a bit like one of them other type of water dragons, but in a tree? Maybe a monitor of some sort. They're my guesses. I need to grow some trees in my yard to attract some to my yard. I never see anything near me :(

looks like a Dragon - Amphibolurus sp.
As you're located in the Pilbara I'd say long nosed dragon A. longirostris although could also be gilberts dragon A. gilberti

Sorry Kath but I disagree, I am thinking more Gilberts Dragon but I would need to know how big he is.

Could be either long nosed or Gilberts (personally I think long nosed). Be aware that pics of long nosed in books will usually have a red face but Pilbara animals are more often yellow/golden faced.

Im going to say long nosed aswell. The head shape just looks a lot more long nosed than gilbert's to me.

Amphibolurus longirostris....I have a feeling someone is looking into the taxonomy of this group at the moment

Cheers,
Scott

it has the right color /stripe to be a male gilberts but its nose looks a bit pointier than the gilberts i have seen in Darwin and nw WA my feild guide to aus reptiles has shed no light on it for me sorry .

looks like a gilberts. shoot it and take a close up

Tried to shoot one but they are still way too quick I ended up wasting too many bullets...
... A couple of observations I noticed were bobbing of the head when something threatens them and when they move they stand upright and run along on their hind legs, looks pretty cool. They also live in trees where birds normally have nests and the birds do not seemed to worried about the presence of them, is it possible they don't eat eggs? Also a couple of more photos...

000_1270.jpg

000_1273.jpg

when your using photobucket just resize to the preset size that says message boards

Lophognathus longirostris

longirostris2.jpg

This critter was seen in Port Hedland, running around in PilbaraPythons backyard :lol: Extremely common throughout South Hedland, particularly at the public swimming pool.

Jordan

Lophognathus longirostris

longirostris2.jpg

This critter was seen in Port Hedland, running around in PilbaraPythons backyard :lol: Extremely common throughout South Hedland, particularly at the public swimming pool.

Jordan

Thanks Jordan. I was always told all port headland animals were yellow. I guess not.

Be back up there soon enough, will take some more photos. Ive seen them in so many different places i couldnt tell you for sure what head colour was most common in Hedland itself. Ive got a better idea how to use the camera this time round so will hopefully get some better shots.

Jordan

Here are photos of A. longirostris from the Exmouth area. They are longer, slimer and have a more pointed nose than A. gilberti.

LongNosed1.jpg

longNosed2.jpg

longNosed4.jpg

longNosed3.jpg

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back