load of hogwash

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denno

Reaction score
get a load of this crap
NSWNPW just told me new laws state if you dont own ya snake for 6 months you CANT sell it for import you MUST own it for six months
give me your views

That's how QLDs laws have been for a long time.

That is correct for here in SA also, but if you send them a letter (i did it by fax) explaining why you want to sell they will give you an exemption.

If you send it in by fax its usually done within a couple of days (well here in SA anyway).

Mrs I

xxx

it's not a new law, been around for ages. Should be 12 months IMO...

i think its a terrible rule, if an animal isnt what someone expected why should the animal have to spend 6 months possibley being neglected and resented by its owner.

I think its a perfectly reasonable rule.
Although the youngins seem to abuse
its constantly chopping and changing..
Changing herps with more frequency
than their under garments..

i think its a terrible rule, if an animal isnt what someone expected why should the animal have to spend 6 months possibley being neglected and resented by its owner.

LOL @ resented!!!

Settle down Chris, you can always write
a letter im sure NPWS wouldn't want a
Reptile living in a home of resentment .

It is a great law, 6 months is a good quarantine time, how many new keepers could one snappy python be passed around to in 6 months?

i have not an issue just that a friend is trying to import some diamonds as her babie is starting to walk around and hit the tanks and it is streesing the snake thats why yhey gotta go

yer ok good idea but why is it such a big deal

I look at it from a quarantine point of view. If the rule was 12 months it would assist in keeping a lid on OPMV and the like. It wouldn't stop it, but would go towards preventing the spread.

It is a great law, 6 months is a good quarantine time, how many new keepers could one snappy python be passed around to in 6 months?
lol they not snappy they are great snakes
and Greebo: i see your point on the profit but my friend is losing out she sold them for $500.00 for both male/female

Just get them to write or send a letter to the NSWPW stating exactly that, the mother of the baby is stressed out cause the baby is walking and is hitting the tanks and she is scared that the baby will smash the tanks and that the snakes are stressed because of it, Im sure they will grant her an exemption.

Mrs I

xxx

ok i think i will go hide now as i feel stupid asking this for my friend

Just get them to write or send a letter to the NSWPW stating exactly that, the mother of the baby is stressed out cause the baby is walking and is hitting the tanks and she is scared that the baby will smash the tanks and that the snakes are stressed because of it, Im sure they will grant her an exemption.

Mrs I

xxx
we rang them and they said they will not budge on decision she will have to keep for another two months or sell within NSW

Get her to tape paper over the glass so the snake cannot see movement. Solves the problem straight away.

Just put the tank in a room the kid can't get to or put them up high or even if its a big tank put a gate aroud it , tell your "friend" not to get rid of it just because of the kid I have two kids and I do everything make the understand not to bang on tanks, it's not hard.

I think its a good licenceing condition. However I can see some peoples concerns with the rule. In situations where say someone is in financial hardship or personal/ family crisis and unable to provide the appropriate care for thier herps,etc,etc. I have seen a few cases like this where the persons herps were donated to my workplace (wildlife park), In these cases NPWS took into account the situations in each case and made exemptions. Im sure that for those out there that are genuinelly in a bind and need to move on thier collection , explaining the situation to NPWS they will asist in any way possible. Im sure they want the best outcome for licenced animals as we do.

I think there is bigger issues if your friend can't stop her kid hitting the tank.
It is, beleive it or not, possible to have the snakes in another room or out of reach or ban the child from going near snakes. I'm sure measures are taken to keep bleach, medicine and other poisonous products out of the kids reach. Should be no different.
One small problem, sell the lot. Great way of thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back