hey im the new guy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaderjar

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey all.
just joined. with my newest pet python:D.
only a few months old and me a only a few days as a handler.
anywhooo though i might introduce myself and hopefully ill get some pics up in the near future:p:p

Hello and Welcome to APS.

Congratulations on getting your first python ( It's exciting isn't it ).

What species is the python?

Chris

cheers!
its a stimson..note the spelling a went and checked, i noticed a very people getting served from 'stimpson'.
spent the first night at mine. this morning the head was literally out of the enclosure!
question. whats the best way to pick the snake up, i know from the back, but im pretty wary that the sudden contact will cause a bite?

The first snake that I got was also a Stimson Python, now I have a pair of Stimson's.

Well first off you should let the new one settle in for 2 weeks (Just leave him alone, Just top up his water if its empty) Then I'd attempt to offer him a feed, then leave him a couple of days. Then start to handle him for 5 minutes or so just because he's still settling in.

Depending on your confidence, you can put your hand/arms into the enclosure/click clack/whatever - I normally do that just so the snake knows that I'm there, They usually come up to you and flick their tongue, then they'll either stay there and go into a strike position if they're uncomfortable or they'll just carry on as they were, Then I just scoop them up with both hands supporting all of them, and they're usually fine.

If you don't feel confident in just picking them up with your hands, you can invest in a snake hook. This way you can just hook the snake out of the enclosure and then place the snake on your hand. I know that a lot of people use this method. I didn't even think about using a hook to get the snakes out, when I got my first python.

In saying that - Some snakes just don't like to be touched, Also. Some snakes are cage protective and in this case it's more than likely required to use a hook to get them out without them biting you.

great. thanks heaps
mind u its sooooo hard not to want to touch them. i was handing it yesterday when i got. its just incredible just their strength and speed. its just amazing to watch them
any other tips.. just keep throwing at me.
:D:D:D

Hi Kaderjar,

Welcome to AP&S, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Enjoy the site, plenty of info and encouragement here to fuel your herp needs. :)

Welcome to APS Kaderjar. And so another sane person is lost to the world of herps............:lol:;)
Bwahahahaha!

Hi Kaderjar, I'm new to this too.
I've had my spotted python for only about 5 weeks now. No probs yet but I know I'm coming to this site first if there are any. There are some very knowledgable people on here.
Good luck with your little one.
Bec.

haha thanks all. yeah im going to have to get some pics soon. problem is..i just fed her. so be a couple of days before she can come out and play =)
+ she is a little bit snappy...gotta get my confidence up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back