Pythons smuggled through post

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ77

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
A MAN has been charged with trying to smuggle four live snakes from Africa into Australia through the post.
The 32-year-old man will appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court today charged with four counts of illegally importing an endangered species.
He could face 10 years in jail and a $110,000 fine.
The snakes, believed to be green tree pythons, were sent from South Africa in separate parcels in late March.
Customs officers intercepted the parcels after X-raying them, Customs investigations national manager Richard Janeczko said.
He said wildlife smuggling was a cruel practice carried out with no thought for the welfare of animals.
"It's a big business with some specimens attracting high prices among collectors," he said.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23476631-5005961,00.html

Are they meaning Australian Green Tree Pythons? What's the point of illegally importing an australian native snake? If it was better genetics he was after and wanting to commit a crime, there's lots of pythons in the wild... not that i'm condoning poaching.

How supid can you get!?

Are they meaning Australian Green Tree Pythons? What's the point of illegally importing an australian native snake?

Even if they were Australian GTP's the point was probably to save money as i doubt the importer would have paid $5000+ per snake.

Cheers,
Ishka

Here are the pics off the Customs web site:

20080402_snakes3.jpg

20080402_snakes2.jpg

20080402_snakes1.jpg

They would pay $300 - $600.00 and sell them for $5,000 + good to see they have stop one lot getting in - but how many don't get court?

Angel,

Green Tree Pythons occur outside Australia as well, in Papua New Guinea and Indonesia. They are far more common in the pet trade overseas, and are a lot more affordable. You could make $20-50,000 if you successfully imported four Green Tree Pythons.

Exactly,that's just a few that have been found,just imagine how many make it through no wonder we have so many non Australian bloodlines of Greens here!!I reckon it sux that these can be easily smuggled in and then end up being in someones collection legally just by replacing animals that have died or escaped or whatever and animals like these have just replaced them and the books are all still in order,all too easy i reckon and for the amounts of money these have been worth for so long they should be dna'd and kept track of so if one dies it can't just be replacd by one from the black market.Aussie Greens are completely different to look at in colour and pattern it's a shame there isn't more pure Australian greens in the hobby as they are way outnumbered by exotic ones which although many are nice animals it just peees me off when people start talking purist yet there are exotic greens everywhere which i'm sure most people who would love to have a GTP would happily own an exotic one!!!JMO!

Have a close look at the pictures. (They are big enough - sorry about that.)

It is possible that they are Australian bloodlines from parents smuggled out many years back.

They came in from South Africa and none are indigenous to there.

herptrader,

From their colouration they are very un-Australian looking Greens. The chances of them being from Australian bloodlines are very, very slim.

Wow, I just looked up the name and nearly fell over backwards :shock:

Looks like a key component in breeding pythons is getting unrelated livestock, regardless of the source.

I'm still going to buy the book :)

I have no sympathy for him what so ever, I hope (but doubt) he gets the maximum penalty. I can only imagine how long those poor animals were trapped in those boxes for and the stress they went through.

Animal smugglers deserve everything they get and think of only themselves and how they can line their own pockets.

He should be named. How many have already purchased from him! :evil:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back