aussie native gtps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another thing that US breeders rarely will talk about is that the vast majority of "designer" GTPs are predominantly green as adults.

Most of the pictures you see in magazines and ont he internet are taken when the animals are still changing color, the "calico" animals are a prefect example. Just ask someone to show you a picture of a 5-7 year old "calico" you wont find one.

The designer mutts have a prolonged and more complicated color change, thats all, and many breeders simply stop taking pics when the animals mature.

One dead giveaway is to look at the eye color. The vast majority of "extreme" mutt GTPs are red-neonates, and they have reddish eyes. the eye color remains untill they are sub-adults but changes to the normal color when they are mature. Occasionally some poeple will get young males to breed and you do see the occasional picture of an animal with juvenile eye color breeding.

Look closely at the eyes of all these "desinger" GTPs and you will see that most are still the juvenile color.

This is all a bit dis-ingenous. The GTPs community here is not particularily honest with regard to several issues.

They present these "desingers" as if they were predictably inheritable, and these appearances are not. Most of the people who spend a great deal of money on these animals as neonates end up with predominantly green snakes.

I posted a thread to the large GTP forum some time ago and simply asked for pics of "extreme" adults, at least 5 years old or older. Excluding WC animals the thread received virtually no responses.

Another thing to consider is that virtually every GTP you see prodcued here are hybrids and crosses. Its only a matter of time before Viridis is broken up into multiple forms at either the species or sub-species level,
There is a ton of propaganda surrounding this species. And its a chore to sort through it to find the truth.

Nick

that's a big call, Nick. if you're not right, you've just created another ton of propaganda. are your claims based on the fact that you received "virtually no responses" because that doesn't persuade me. you are also very loose with the term hybrid, intraspecific matings cannot be hybrids, and there aren't even any recorded subspecies with any taxonomic recognition (this is likely to happen eventually, as you say)

I have noticed with many pythons but in particular GTPs that color seems to have low heretibility. This does not appear to be the view of the majority of the Australian herp community, which I note generally has a very small sample from which to form their views.Most recently I attended Greg Maxwells talk and he would have to promote himself as a meticulous breeder chasing particular color morphs.After a number of generations he is still only producing a few individuals of the color morph he's chasing in each clutch .
I have recently looked at quite a few of last years "Australian Hatchoes" which now reside in various parts of Aus but originatied from the same clutch bred in Cairns.The animals vary dramatically. I am told that one Aussie line has the white down its back and the other doesn,t. Of course all the animals I saw released last year didn't, but then thats part of good marketing. You have to keep interest in the pot of gold so the punters keep chasing the rainbow.
With such low heretibility the progress towards predictable color morphs will be slow so the challenges will continue to maitain interest in the herp community.

There is no big deal about Ausie GTPs and no one is saying that they are "better" than the rest. The difference is, there is a bloodline with known origin. Something we can't say (with certainty) about the others. Ausie GTPs may appeal to keepers / breeders who appreciate pure locality bloodline. They are more expensive because there are fewer of them in collections.
As to the white dots - native GTPs ALWAYS have vertebral dots / lines, sometimes even small dots all over the body (this is rare). These markings are usually pure white but on some individuals they may be creamy to almost yellow. If you see GTP with white dots scattered all over but not lined up along the spine - it's not an native animal!

There is no big deal about Ausie GTPs and no one is saying that they are "better" than the rest. QUOTE]

"Why would I want to tarnish my name by offering mongrels as natives?"

To me the above comment you made says that you think Aussies are something special and the others are Mongrels!

I disagree, I think all Green Tree Pythons are special. I'm also sure Greg Maxwell doesn't think Aussie GTP's are anything special. Only those sellers trying to validate the higher price they are charging for Oz GTP's are the ones that seem to think they are particularly special!

Last edited:
Is Greg Maxwell the God?
Please look up the word "mongrel' in a dictionary - I have a mongrel dog and it's the most beautiful and loving animal. Of course all GTPs are special but they are not all the same.

Is Greg Maxwell the God?
Please look up the word "mongrel' in a dictionary - I have a mongrel dog and it's the most beautiful and loving animal. Of course all GTPs are special but they are not all the same.

Hey, I'm not the one contradicting myself in two posts in the same thread!

BTW, I took your advice and looked up the Australian Macquarie Dictionary and it states that aside from being of mixed breeding etc, a mongrel is "of little or no value"

There seems to have been a very recent explosion in captive numbers

So your implying that noone is capable of breeding them here?

Here are some advanced aussie chondros.
Photo's are from Iron Range,
Cheers
Adam

Attachments

• DSC00393.JPG
    DSC00393.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC00398.JPG
    DSC00398.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC00395.JPG
    DSC00395.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 122
Like it or not the various forms of GTP are different, at least as different as the various forms of carpet python, and on a genetic level they are even more distinct.

My opinions are based on the available data, virtually all of wich supports the notion that viridis represents more than one taxon. included in this are three genetic studies. A fourth genetic study is underway on the entire genus, I myself contributed over 40 samples to that study.

Most over here hide behind the "one species" arguement, but its really obvious in the flesh how different they are.

I have the luxury of having owned probably 30 GTP from all the various regions.

When you can hold them in your hands and look at the various localities its hard to make the arguement that they are one species.

And the endless Greg Maxwell worship is a huge problem. He is one man with his opinion, he wrote a very flawed book wich presents his opinion as if it were fact, and everyone wants to take it as such.

An on the issue of Native Aussie GTPs, as an outsider looking in, everything from Australia is better!

Nick

on the white striping, it comes in with age, and most captive bred animals display less white than their wild counterparts. There is some reason to suspect that natural light intensity is a factor in this..

Nick

Nick, don't try and further complicate the situation for us over here :) We already have all Greens lobbed in together and God only knows what would happen if they decide to seperate them into 3 or 4 different sub species. I would hazzard a guess and say that most people buying a Green have little interest in it's origins as 99% over here could come from absolutely anywhere and the chances of buying a hatchling from 2 parents from same locale are slim at best and would be a result of good luck rather than good judgement.

Like it or not the various forms of GTP are different, at least as different as the various forms of carpet python, and on a genetic level they are even more distinct.

My opinions are based on the available data, virtually all of wich supports the notion that viridis represents more than one taxon. included in this are three genetic studies. A fourth genetic study is underway on the entire genus, I myself contributed over 40 samples to that study.

Most over here hide behind the "one species" arguement, but its really obvious in the flesh how different they are.

I have the luxury of having owned probably 30 GTP from all the various regions.

When you can hold them in your hands and look at the various localities its hard to make the arguement that they are one species.

And the endless Greg Maxwell worship is a huge problem. He is one man with his opinion, he wrote a very flawed book wich presents his opinion as if it were fact, and everyone wants to take it as such.

An on the issue of Native Aussie GTPs, as an outsider looking in, everything from Australia is better!

Nick

Can't wait for your book to come out Nick!
Professional jealousy perhaps?

LOL Nick, I've seen you make that comment about them being separated before and like before when I now ask you to show us something to back up what you have said in this thread, You will hem and haw but as usual provide nothing other than your word. Well I for one don't take Nick's word when it comes to Chondro's so how about something we can see here Nick??

If you guys want to see adult Designers let me know and I'll post some links to forums where you can find a whole lot of them.. Randy

regardless of the species of reptile, there are ALWAYS people who are willing to pay for and keep locality specific animals. The price for locality animals depends on what the seller is willing to part with them for and what the buyer is willing to pay. It doesn't matter what is the perceived market price is for a species, people will always set the price. JMO

This kinda reminds me of the people that like to mention DNA work on Carpets has negated the sub-species..?
I think some preliminary finding were presented at a herp club. but a completed paper hasn't been published as of yet?

Not to launch this thread off topic, but if a complete paper has been published online could someone pm me?

Nick

Don't worry, from the inside looking out its just as magnificent :)

Matt

wat makes gtp's so special anyway is it because they r so rare and cost so much, to me they r just a green carpet tht i would never be able to afford so y wld i get excited about them when there is many more lovely snakes tht i can afford and keep.

It's one of those things...once you've seen a true Aussie next to a mixed or non-Aussie, you can spot the difference. True Aussie greens are just awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back