Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHAHAHA

Oh this has been a laugh... Some people are remarkably gullable..

Mate, there is absolutely NO chance of a GTP living anywhere other than its known environment.

Gravid female escaped? HAHAHA

Yeah and can you tell me just how she incubated the eggs in the climate of Sydney too>? Sure mate.

Wake up to yourselves people, it was a GTS..

Luke, I think you may have missed my point about the Polar bears living in multi million dollar climate controlled environment, maybe if an escaped GTP found a nice heated environment in the Sydney area it would survive. ;)

Like the polar bears on the gold coast, now totally adapted to the gold coast

Living in a multi-million dollar climate-controlled enclosure that replicates an Arctic summer is somewhat different to being 'totally adapted to the gold coast'.

You're also confusing genotypic adaptation with phenotypic acclimatization.

Stewart

Look I spotted one in Kentlyn the other day, I just didn't wanna say anything..

I think its been there for years, loves it.

Attachments

• P1012236 copy.jpg
    P1012236 copy.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 121
Pugs, that snake looks very healthy and happy there, I hope you didn't disturb it ?

Gday guys,i dont know anything about GTPs but in my local area(Riverland SA) there was a story about a guy who lived down by the river here and bred different sorts of pythons and when he died his wife let them all go supposedly (years ago) and now you can find all different coloured snakes in that particular area.I know a lad whos father owns the property and he said theres all colours mixed eg Black n Grey,Green n grey various patterns he saw a big green one eating a cat in his pump shed on the rivers edge last time he checked the filters:) gonna get his permission to go and have a look one night see what we can find,maybe get some photos.
Im guessing the rumour is true because National Parks have been down there and around surrounding properties shooting any pythons that dont match our local Murray Darlings i think they come back regularly.......like you said to cold for GTPs to survive here for sure,but what about Olives?
My partners cousin lost her 10ft olive in our old farm house we were renting at the time plenty of rabbits and feral kittens around to live on.....

I think we may all be suprised if we actually knew what may have escaped and lived from private collections over the years. I'm not adding credence to the story but i can see no reason why even a GTP could'nt survive in Sydney at least for a few miserable years. I'm sure the upper limits of the Iron Range gets quite cold for certain periods of the year?

i can't help myself... addy, the word is spelt "liar", and in reference to your post about not finding what you were looking and finding something else ... well what that is just too funny (and just makes me think of albinos...)

van i say maybe the green tree snakes could be living in sydney but could have addapted if been there long enough

My God....

If a GTP survived a week in Sydney bush, especially in the colder months, I will give you one..

Do some research people.

It is perfectly possible for snakes from different areas to live and breed for many generations in areas very unlike their natural habitats, it happens all the time. Some snakes such as North American colubrids like Cornsnakes, Kingsnakes, ratsnakes etc are incredibly adaptable and many python species are also able to adapt to different habitats. The big difference is that GTP's right across their entire range are a totally tropical species and the climate 3000k's south of their home range is just too extreme for them.

Please, like Jonno said if he was half as smart as you are saying he would of no doubt realised it was a feral species. First winter would kill any of them off straight away.

yeh i guess so.. i got no idea cause they arnt friends (we actually arnt friends at all cause they called the police about our dog barking all day and i didnt so we got a fine ect) so maybe they were pullying my leg to make me excited.. i dunno.. anyway why would winter kill them so quickly?

Two Words People!!!! GLOBAL WARMING! Pretty soon all the top end wildlife will move to the Sydney Basin! ;)

A green python may have been seen. Most likely an escapee that will soon perish. As has been said, the winters are too cold. There are area's of perfectly suitable habitat in Cape York where they do not exist.

Temporary escapees maybe.... a wild population - impossible!

Or ones that have been stolen and the thief got scared and dumped them. The animals will surely die :(

I've heard that red bellied blacks are now, due to global warming, moving to the Antarctic... using the large chunks of Ross Ice Shelf as stepping stones - they bask during the day and sleep in little igloos during the night before moving on further south... It's happened before apparently... according to skeletal remains...

And they're growing large enough to eat Emperor Penguins - an adaptation they developed as they moved south in anticipation of very big dinners... it's happened before...

Commonwealth Serum Laboratories are gearing up for the huge demand for black snake antivenom (and a bit of brownsnake too I believe...) that will be required as the world warms up... As I understand it. those people who spend more than 12 months in the Antarctic live only in their jocks (they adapt, as most organisms do (it's happened before apparently) and lie around on the snow year round...)

Prime targets for blacksnakes enjoying their new environment...

JJJJJ.

Jamie

Jamie, now you are just being silly, you are thinking of Copperheads.

i can't help myself... addy, the word is spelt "liar", and in reference to your post about not finding what you were looking and finding something else ... well what that is just too funny (and just makes me think of albinos...)
What are you trying to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back