Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Stop it J!

My stomach is hurting enough! lol

As for temperatures, have a read of the Complete Chondro..

What adult snake would adapt to a cold environment and survive if it escaped.. it's clearly used to being heated, and fed.. It wouldn't survive, especially a GTP. Although, i have seen that panther when i was in vic, yeah that pesky thing....

Cousin's wife's son? You making this sound as true as the lady's friends' sister's friend who found her pet python laying straight out beside her measuring her up to eat her.

Lol, did you hear that on the radio? I was tempted to ring in and say my maccie did that, CAUSE I WAS WARM!

There's only one way to solve this... who wants to volunteer their GTP for release into Sydney this Winter? :)

Just to add a couple points to the credibility side of this arguement even against the genuine experts. Lets start by putting two and two together. People have already mentioned that were talking about the most inhabited city in Australia, meaning there are people living there......in HOUSES. Last time i checked most houses seem to be constantly adjusted to a comfortable temp year round and have roofs full of nice cosy insulation and...oh....what do ya know, lots of rats and mice too :)
I dont for a moment try to argue that the GTP's have magically pulled of an evolutionary miracle and adapted to the NATURAL environment of Sydney but adapting to the civilised environment....definintely plausible!
So sure, a couple escaped GTP's here, probably capable of sustaining themselves throughout winters if they picked the right location. And I dont know about their breeding habits but a handfull of snakes could easily evade human discovery over the years. Remember that they find mates largely through scent so they would still have a decent chance of reproducing in small numbers.
My 2 cents :)

I dont personally believe that they definintely are or arent there, just that its definitely possible

even if there was a few, what would the chances of them being near each other or even in range to find each other, sydney is a big place.

Just to add a couple points to the credibility side of this arguement even against the genuine experts. Lets start by putting two and two together. People have already mentioned that were talking about the most inhabited city in Australia, meaning there are people living there......in HOUSES. Last time i checked most houses seem to be constantly adjusted to a comfortable temp year round and have roofs full of nice cosy insulation and...oh....what do ya know, lots of rats and mice too :)
I dont for a moment try to argue that the GTP's have magically pulled of an evolutionary miracle and adapted to the NATURAL environment of Sydney but adapting to the civilised environment....definintely plausible!
So sure, a couple escaped GTP's here, probably capable of sustaining themselves throughout winters if they picked the right location. And I dont know about their breeding habits but a handfull of snakes could easily evade human discovery over the years. Remember that they find mates largely through scent so they would still have a decent chance of reproducing in small numbers.
My 2 cents :)

I dont personally believe that they definintely are or arent there, just that its definitely possible

Exclude breeding, and you may have a posibility. The thread started with them being found/seen in back yards. Now that being said, it's probably didn't happen. But saying "it didn't happen" is pointless. Looking at what may have happened dowbtful or not is far more interesting...and having scientists friends, that always do it. It's grown on me. Thats all...No it probably didn't happen, but who am i to say 100% not.

It was a pretty good 2 cents

What adult snake would adapt to a cold environment and survive if it escaped.. it's clearly used to being heated, and fed.. It wouldn't survive, especially a GTP. Although, i have seen that panther when i was in vic, yeah that pesky thing....

even captive snakes 'used to being fed' assume positions ready to catch and kill prey as dictated by their genetic instincs. they also know how to adjust their temp by moving around their enclosures. They're not the smartest animals going around. They're mostly just acting out what behaviours evolution has programmed them to do. I really doubt theyre smart enough to learn how to be stupid to the point that they override their natural instincts

Well... I did see a pair of GTPs in a taxi when I was down for the Expo, they had a high quality infra red thermometer and they were looking for a suitable roofspace to spend the winter - one that didn't get up to 80C+ on a summer day (ever spent time in a roof in summer tomatopaste?) or didn't drop below about 20C in winter... they told me it seemed impossible from what they'd seen...

JJJJJ.

Addy really needs to have a better understanding of the basics of environmental adaptation - Polar Bears have a more or less constant body temperature regardless of where they are, because that's what mammals are like, so they can feasibly adapt to a wider range of environments, even as established adults...

Reptiles do not have that flexibility... period... end of argument...

JJJJJ.

It was an example buddy.

Lol..

People STILL believe it...

Did we mention it was seen eating an Wheleeri?

Exclude breeding, and you may have a posibility. The thread started with them being found/seen in back yards. Now that being said, it's probably didn't happen. But saying "it didn't happen" is pointless. Looking at what may have happened dowbtful or not is far more interesting...and having scientists friends, that always do it. It's grown on me. Thats all...No it probably didn't happen, but who am i to say 100% not.

It was a pretty good 2 cents

agree completely! much more interesting to delve into the inprobably yet still remotely possible rather than everone taking sides over an issure impossible to resolve without more evidence

how can they afford the rent in sydney?

Addy really needs to have a better understanding of the basics of environmental adaptation - Polar Bears have a more or less constant body temperature regardless of where they are, because that's what mammals are like, so they can feasibly adapt to a wider range of environments, even as established adults...

Reptiles do not have that flexibility... period... end of argument...

JJJJJ.

Exactly.

Comparing Polar Bears and GTP's is absurd.

Well... I did see a pair of GTPs in a taxi when I was down for the Expo, they had a high quality infra red thermometer and they were looking for a suitable roofspace to spend the winter - one that didn't get up to 80C+ on a summer day (ever spent time in a roof in summer tomatopaste?) or didn't drop below about 20C in winter... they told me it seemed impossible from what they'd seen...

JJJJJ.

Summer temp is irrelevent, im suggesting they find a roof in winter warm enough for a stable hibernation period or at least able of supporting healthy conditions for the GTP. They are free to move out of the roof in summer and into the forrest, noone is holding a gun at their heads to stay in that roof. Carpets frequent sheds and roofs as far as i know to stay warm and find mice. I dont see why a GTP wouldnt have the same instinct and luck

Well it was a totally spurious example, for the reason I have explained... if you want to use examples, at least make them relevant.

And I don't know you well enough for you to call me buddy... addy.

JJJJJ.

Exactly.

Comparing Polar Bears and GTP's is absurd.

exactly? I think everyone needs to stop ignoring the climate these snakes have been observed (supposedly) in. They werent found out in a remote forrest where they have zero access to warmth and shelter necessitating genetic adaptation. They can adapt their USE of the environment to avoid adapting their own physiological traits and characteristics

i'm in victoria, and my aunty's work place would every so often find snakes that where from qld in there store's warehouse, thta was right next door to a huge fruit shop, if they where in sydney maybe they hitched a ride in the banana crates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back