Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jen - they pay the rent by selling some of their babies, but they are worried about the rent increases and the dropping prices they get for their kids... I believe there is a GTP deputation heading to the Reserve Bank next week to see what can be done about the Catch 22 situation they find themselves in...

JJJJJ

Well it was a totally spurious example, for the reason I have explained... if you want to use examples, at least make them relevant.

And I don't know you well enough for you to call me buddy... addy.

JJJJJ.

the example was animals living away from there natural envirmoent. GTP or not, thats how it is relevent. I didn't say "because a couple or bears did it, GTP must be able to do it to". If i find a better example i'll send it to you.... Pythonifinite

They can adapt their USE of the environment to avoid adapting their own physiological traits and characteristics

WHAT ON EARTH DOES THAT MEAN?

JJJJJ.

They work the streets?They weren't 'seen' in Kingscross were they?

May aswell. Alot of frustrated carpets out their that wouldn't mind some exotic action

Addy - you need to understand that mammals are far more adaptable than reptiles - for obvious reasons... that's why your example was totally irrelevant... Please indicate if you have examples of any tropical reptiles naturalising in temperate areas... that would give you more credibilty

JJJJJ.

They can adapt their USE of the environment to avoid adapting their own physiological traits and characteristics

WHAT ON EARTH DOES THAT MEAN?

JJJJJ.

hahaha :rolleyes: ie. instead of their common characteristic of living in the trees of their environment they can make use of houses (roofs/sheds etc) or even become somewhat terrestrial and move into caves or abandoned burrows for winter warmth.

doing this would allow them to survive in the sydney environment without making any physiological changes to their bodies which would normally take many generations to evolve (ie actually being able to survive and breed in much colder temperatures)

in simpler terms change their habits to replicate their natural environmental conditions

Addy - you need to understand that mammals are far more adaptable than reptiles - for obvious reasons... that's why your example was totally irrelevant... Please indicate if you have examples of any tropical reptiles naturalising in temperate areas... that would give you more credibilty

JJJJJ.

Naturalising, no..i never said the GTP could. People refered to the winter killing them, my example was asian pythons one being the "burmese" python that survives winter far colder than their natural winter. And they do. None of which states "a GTP will survive for this reason". I didn't make these claims of sightings. I merely excluded the 100% idea without exploration. I understand the diffrence in mamals and reptiles thank you very much. That wasn't up for debate.

So, like most sydney siders they will head to queensland for the winter?

Good grief... do you know ANYTHING about GTPs? If you're going to enter a debate, please please please do so with some understanding of what you're talking about... you really do risk making a complete fool of yourself with arguments like that...

JJJJJ.

beatdeadhorse.gif

I understand the diffrence in mamals and reptiles thank you very much. That wasn't up for debate.

I don't think you do... and I think it was lol!

And Jen - yes, the first wave of "Green Nomads" is coming up the Pacific Hwy as we speak - they don't even need caravans, they just curl up on the roof racks wherever they camp for the night...

JJJJJ.

One other thing - Burmese are largely terrestrial as adults, and they DO mostly live on the ground and within the shelter that the ground provides - caves, logs, burrows and other areas of relatively stable temps. GTPs are usually exposed on branches, even in thickets, so are far more likely to be detrimentally affected by unusual temperature variations. They are also far smaller (less mass) so will be subject to significantly more influence from ambient temps... Burmese python adult - 100kg+... GTP adult - 1.5kg... you do the math...

JJJJJ.

JJJJJ

I understand the diffrence in mamals and reptiles thank you very much. That wasn't up for debate.

I don't think you do... and I think it was lol!

And Jen - yes, the first wave of "Green Nomads" is coming up the Pacific Hwy as we speak - they don't even need caravans, they just curl up on the roof racks wherever they camp for the night...

JJJJJ.

You know so far all you've said is no.. thats fine, I commented on animals being out of their natural enviroemnt at least. And thats where the thread was going when i joined. Being GTP or not....It's a conversation...geez. if you don't like it you don't have to join in...the beauty of a forum..

As for my knowledge on reptiles and mamals i can prepare you an entire essay in my own words if you like.

One other thing - Burmese are largely terrestrial as adults, and they DO mostly live on the ground and within the shelter that the ground provides - caves, logs, burrows and other areas of relatively stable temps. GTPs are usually exposed on branches, even in thickets, so are far more likely to be detrimentally affected by unusual temperature variations. They are also far smaller (less mass) so will be subject to significantly more influence from ambient temps... Burmese python adult - 100kg+... GTP adult - 1.5kg... you do the math...

JJJJJ.

JJJJJ

That being said they have to grow to those sizes first, they are not born at 100kg. They are big enough to breed though. GTP clearly not.

As for my knowledge on reptiles and mamals i can prepare you an entire essay in my own words if you like.

Not sure if I would understand it addy - at least not at this time of night...

And I DID like the conversation, else I wouldn't have wasted a night of my life discussing this ridiculous nonsense... seeing how far the "want - to - believe -it" crowd is prepared to stretch and modify the parameters of a very implausible proposal, when confronted with legitimate and informed challenge...

Jamie.

JJJJJ

Ah what a crack up.. this is still going..

Tomatopaste, your just making it completely obvious you know NOTHING about GTPs.

Tell me, how would you keep one if you owned one? Give me some set up ideas lol..

Addy, you are wasting your time, Jamie knows more about this species than you can imagine, leave it be..

Not sure if I would understand it addy - at least not at this time of night...

And I DID like the conversation, else I wouldn't have wasted a night of my life discussing this ridiculous nonsense... seeing how far the "want - to - believe -it" crowd is prepared to stretch and modify the parameters of a very implausible proposal, when confronted with legitimate and informed challenge...

Jamie.

JJJJJ

I'm not going to write an essay at this time of night. And don't call me want to believe croud. Think i want to believe one of our the most valued snakes got into the hands of some idiot that couldn't even keep it in a enclosure? When most other people can't afford one. Like that bad driver in a beautiful sports car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back