hatchie that is always in the water dish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie56

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have a 4months old coastal harchie who is always in the water dish i have looked for mites and thier tell tale signs but couldn't see any he is eating well and seems happy enough but even on these cold mornings he is in the water dish the cage has a coll end as well as a heated end

sounds bizarre, have you thought of taking him/her to the vet? How long has he/she been doing this?

Where abouts are you located? What's the humidity like in ther enclosure? What substrate are you using?

Does he need to shed soon? Some snakes do this to moisturize there skin.

yes he is due to shed the breeder told me he was due in four weeks when i got him three weeks ago. i am on the sunshine coast in qld. i have thought of taking him to the vet but as i say he is lively eating like a little pig doesn't seem at all stressed if not in the water dish he is sleeping in his hide and only comes out when i open the door and usually refuses to go back in until he is ready

Probably feels more secure there then the hide.

Bet he has plenty of room in the hide, make it smaller so he can squeeze in.

Can you post some pics of the enclosure? It is not healthy for them to be spending that amount of time in the water, especially during cold mornings as you mention. It can lead to respiratory infections and scale rot. I'd be triple checking for mites, if you use a white water bowl it makes it a lot easier to see the dead (drowned) mites in the water. The other possibilty is that the cage may be too hot, what are you using to heat the cage?

i am using a heat mat as his enclosure is small it is the smallest heat mat you can buy he is out often and my granddaughter takes him out into the sun for awhile every few days

Is the heat mat under the whole enclosure or just part of it?

it's okay i took him to the vets today and he has mites well he had mites i gave him a bath washed his cage and used top of decent i will do it again in 10 days the vet said no damage had been done yet but i will be keeping an eye on him

good result, hope he keeps up the good health.....happy herping..:)

Glad you sorted that one out. Good Luck. Would love to see some post shed pics whenever it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back