Breeding Carpet Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excitedbeginner

Reaction score
Can someone please advise me on the legalities or moral implications of breeding Darwins with Coastal Carpets. I have been told by one person that you can, but google search after google search doesn't indicate if you can or not. I don't want to do the wrong thing. ;)

Why would you want to do that? Other than sheer laziness.

Oh dear, not another hybrid thread.

I guess it can be done but you shouldn't. Why cross breed and lose the beauty of your darwin

Use the search function and search the word "hybrid".... you'll soon find peoples opinions on the topic.

Cheers,
Ish

spend the extra couple hundred to get a mate for each of ur carpets so they are pure

people that intentionally breed hybrids should be shot in aus we have the genetic diversity to never have to hybridise our stock

We only have the Coastal at the moment, but the breeder we got her off, has a Darwin x Coastal male that he reackoned we could breed her with and I wondered if it was quite koshier. I might hang five and wait until I get another Coastal. Like I said, definatley don't want to be doing the wrong thing. Sorry if I offended anyone. Cheers :rolleyes:

Excited Beginner, you've done the right thing and asked before doing anything. It's hard when the supposed 'breeder' you got your first one from gives out advice like that. You'll find this site is awesome to learn from. So many of these guys know what they're talking about :) You'll also soon find out how passionate most people are though. Don't take stuff personally, we all just love love love our herps..

Thanks Kitty. I think mine are pretty cool too. Over excited about breeding them too. But I will definatley be doing it the right way.

Khagen I'll bring the beer cook up some extra pop corn lol

EB I'm from the states where what you are proposing is legal and has been done(usually because the breeder didn't know or care what he was breeding. Now I have no problem with crosses which is what this would be, I've cross bred carpets myself. In Oz I know in some places it is Illegal but that should be easy for you to find out.

BUT why on earth would you want to do this, the babies will look worse than either parent and wont sell for much. Seems like such a waste to me, If I had a Darwin:)rolleyes:) I wouldn't be breeding it to a coastal. you have tons of other options you can do a breeding loan to breed your snakes you can easily find another Darwin or Coastal to breed to.. Don't do it for the love of the snake gods lol Randy

I personally dont mind hybrids but i love pure snakes too.. just ends up on personal decisions.. i mean if you breed a Diamond x Jungle with a Diamond then thats ok but why breed a Darwin with a coastal... thats another story..

I personally dont mind hybrids but i love pure snakes too.. just ends up on personal decisions.. i mean if you breed a Diamond x Jungle with a Diamond then thats ok but why breed a Darwin with a coastal... thats another story..

Same thing really.

How about we put away the snacks and try to answer a new members question...:rolleyes:

Crossing sub species is frowned upon by a large percentage of the herp community. The main reason (from what has been posted) is that crossing will result in the unknown linage of snakes and no one will be sure if the snakes they purchase are 'pure'.

I will always breed true to form and locality where possible, because in my opinion Australia is lucky to have a diverse number of python species that are pure. This is a difficult thing to find in other countries and breeders in America are quite often posting on here how they wish they could find true to form species. It would be a shame if the closest you could get to a Darwin, was a darwin x coastal or worse still a darwin x something.

ahh maybe.. but at least the Diamondx Jungle has part diamond rather than a pure Darwin with a pure Coastal..

With both cases you are left with mongrels, whats the point? Unless you own mulgas of BHP's.

ahh maybe.. but at least the Diamondx Jungle has part diamond rather than a pure Darwin with a pure Coastal..

Same thing. Still a cross. Still a mongrel.

You wouldn't cross an award winning showdog with a mutt even if the mutt was part whatever the show dog is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back