Save or euthanise??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Catcher Victoria

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
The local police bought this little copperhead to my house today..
It was attacked by a cat but, also has what seems to be necrosis in the tail which seems to be from an older "problem"..
It hasnt progressed as far as the vent and I was thinking if the tail was amputated above the necrotic tissue could it save the snake??
The snake also displays the standard wounds associated with cat attack..But not to serious on external viewing.
I normally would put it down but I am sick of letting the moggies win and would hope that i could get some advice from people in the know as to the saving of this ones life.
I am thinking of taking it to my local herp vet getting advice of him tomorrow..

Attachments

• khgig.jpg
    khgig.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 200
Looks like amputation could be possible.
(though I'm not a professional)...
How's his behaviour?
It looks like the wounds could heal up pretty well after a course of anti-biotics and treatment.

well that tail is in real bad shape. Maybe a real herp vet might do the trick but beware some of them are Dr death. Hope you find a good one.
Ps your in Melb if you find a good one let me know,regards.

Depends, the tail damage may be a concern if it's a male. For the cat attack i'd be going some Baytril

try and save

see what vet says i reckon anti biotics is worth a try at least what you got to lose?

Cat bites are great for injecting bacteria into wounds - you are definitely up for antibiotics and an amputation if you want to save it. Poor thing. Have you got room to house it during a reasonably long convalescence?

i think the tail damage is to close to the vent however if you save it it will be up for captivity for the rest of its life definatly a vet trip if you would like to attempt saving it

I wouldn't think there is much of any importance that far back on the tail. Even if it was a male he'd have to be pretty well hung.
Got to at least try to save it I reckon. I'd chip in something for the vet if that's what it takes

if you can save it im happy to take it and care for it after surgery, i doubt it will be able to be released into the wild again. i have plenty of spare enclosures and am licensed.
i think its definately worth a try. i find a .223 or bridgestones show fantastic efficiency in solving cat issues.

We will go see the vet tomorrow but i know what he will say already..there seems to be about 16 scales worth of salvagable flesh under the vent before the necrotic stuff and i would happily care for it untill it recovers, if it recovers..
Thanks baxtor but im hoping the vet will do it for free as it is wildlife.

How deep is the tail damage? From what ive seen of older tail woulds in herps, if its dead right the way through they will often fall off of their own accord. A course of antibiotics for the fresh wounds would definately be a good idea though. Providing the fresh wounds heal cleanly i cant see why that animal couldnt be released and breed in future.

Jordan

the tail will fall off by its self, get some otiderm or oticlean,(same stuff just different brand names), for the cat wounds, from the vet, and it should very well survive. magic stuff.

well that tail is in real bad shape. Maybe a real herp vet might do the trick but beware some of them are Dr death. Hope you find a good one.
Ps your in Melb if you find a good one let me know,regards.

the vet i saw at lort smith today about my beardies was pretty good seemed to know wha she was talking about and seemed quite experienced and it was cheap too a consultation for 2 lizards one with quite a serious problem only cost $40. :)

give it a go, i'd say the vet would amputate the tail and give you a few days worth of antibiotics but it would be nice to see a recovery. do your vets looks at venomous reptiles, i dont think any would around here its hard enough to get them to look at a bluetongue.

jsut tell him you'll pay for teh drugs used and he should be happy to comply :D

My opinion is simalr to Nuthin2do's. Except if the snake is in reasonable health I see no reason not to release it. While its chances are as a sire in the future minimal they are not zero. As long as it survives the cat bites.
Ive seen similar tail damage in RBBs and diamonds here in Sydney where ticks have basically ringbarked the tail. They then drop off leaving the tail dead.

Hi guys i with most of you if it heals there is no reason why you cant release it, having said that though cat bites can turn into nasty necrotic abcesses. id get it to a vet asap, and a reptile one as regular vets dont handle reptiles much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back