lets all invent. im sure with the amound of people on this site something can happen

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maddowse

Not so new Member
Reaction score
in this world there are dreamers and there are do'ers. im a dreamer.
i have a job that uses very little brain power so i have lots of time to think.

now as by my other post you will know that i have lost my dimond python, my first python.
i miss him heaps and i know hes in the house still but were is the question.

i have seen on lots of nature shows were they chip wild snakes ie(brown snakes and tigers) in scrubland near populated areas,
they use an antener like tracking system where it beeps when pointed in the right direction and the beeper gets louder as they get near. they can track a wilsnake in more than 20 acres and from over 500 meters away.

im sure you could make an at home type system were you have maybe 3 or 4 anteners in the far corners of your house that conect to a unit that wirlessly conects to a lap to.
using 3 to 4 points of refence they should be able to show in a square grid on your computer
with in a meter square were your lost mate is. it would make it easyer for you narrow your search. im sure it cant be too hard after all a touch screen computer works on the same theroy. you touch the screen it makes a mesurement from all 4 points and tells the mouse pointer were to point.

i understand there will be holes in this idea so critics are welcome, after all how else will something get created with out someone saying "no this way is better"

thanks for listening to my rambling i just miss my mate

lol yeah i always think of that one last but im sure if a sale price of below $500 people with large collections would spend the money (i would) you pay enough for the enclosers and snakes them selfs

Most people with large collections dont lose any animals as they are kept secure.

ok fair enough it just seems for people who keep there snakes so secure also have a storie.
after all they are escape artists. trust me i feel like an idiot not to tripple check the new encloser was escape proof but the hole they got out through was no bigger then 1/4 there size

Its mostly hatchling snakes that go missing and its usually because newer keepers tend to dismiss the advice of keeping them in small tubs/containers until they get a bit of size about them.Thats one of the reasons why small tubs are recommended for baby snakes.

yeah i understand that but bundy is about 2 1/2 and it was purely because i moved him into a larger new encloser . every one makes mistakes . lets hope this one will only be once

If you used a modern radio transmitter implanted inside your animal you'd have to regularly remove the old transmitter and replace the batteries. You could design a transmitter that could be recharged via induction (in fact, they might already exist). Or you could have a passive transmitter that was energised from the outside, in the same way that PIT tags and (I think) eToll transponders work. This would require massive lengths of cables around your house, and might end up giving you cancer. (I'm sure my lymph nodes throb every time I drive through the eToll booth.)

Going back to the original idea: Instead of having multiple receivers around the house and using the signals to triangulate, I reckon you'd be be better off just walking around your house with a unidirectional antenna and a receiver to find your animal.

It might be more productive to develop some kind of pheromone-based lure to try to recapture lost animals. I don't know if that would work out of the breeding season, and I don't think it would work on females.

Along the lines of Ramsayi's comment, you might be better off spending the $500 on securing your enclosures.

All original ideas expressed in this post are the intellectual property of Stewart Macdonald. I'm open to licensing deals.

Stewart

yeah i hope he comes back to lola (the female). your right with the chip needing to be recharged . but i wonder what they use on the wild snakes?

a pheromone lure would be good ie bring them to you .

i had spent a few weeks on the encloser but didnt inspect properly before moving them in . iv since fixed the problem.

And there he goes getting all intellectual again. Maybe keeping the cage inside an escape proof room, now thats an idea. Now if ne1 is using that it is copyrighted

your right with the chip needing to be recharged . but i wonder what they use on the wild snakes?

The batteries just go dead. If you need to continue tracking the animal you have to find it before the battery runs out and insert a new transmitter/battery. The larger the animal, the bigger the battery can be, and therefore the more time you have. Most people use transmitters with a mass no greater than 5% of the animal's body weight.

Stewart

im guessing it wouldnt be to comfortable for the snake !!!

And there he goes getting all intellectual again. Maybe keeping the cage inside an escape proof room, now thats an idea. Now if ne1 is using that it is copyrighted

:)Its already been suggested by john weigel in his book which would be alot cheaper that a radio transmitter,mabey like a heat sensing gun for reps so you could find it in the escape proff room

im guessing it wouldnt be to comfortable for the snake !!!

I'm sure if the snake had a choice, it would prefer not to have a transmitter implanted inside it. But snakes with transmitters don't appear to suffer any ill-effects from them. That being said, no long-term studies have looked at this (as far as I'm aware).

Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back