Dog Anti-bark Collar review anybody?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthling

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Out the Back of Queensland and a bit more
My neighbor has a little chiahahua that barks pretty well non stop...well maybe not non stop but for say a good 4 to 7 hours per day...or the whole time their out.
They want to get an antibark collar and Im wondering if any APS members have used one for their yappy pooch? If you did how did it go? Thoughts?
I was thinking the high pitch noise ones would be good.
The only negative I can see is that it goes off every time they bark. I feel a dog needs to vocalise occasionally with a good woof..or yap...:rolleyes:...which these collars dont allow...unless Im looking at the wrong ones. Enlighten me.

I also suggested a safe zone for the dog...which at the moment is the far back corner of their wardrobe...:rolleyes: So a very small kennel with roof, sides, etc should assist the dog. I think its all fear based barking, so a hide should help and second call is the anti bark device. Their dicipline rating is about 2.5 out of 10..so thats where most of the problem lies.

we have one of the electric ones... it works wonders, now when we put the anti-bark collar on she wont even bark even if the collar is turned off

ive used citronella ones in the past quite effective. their is models that operate with a remote control available in electric shock and citronella ones.

The don't always deter the dog from barking, our dog just ignores the noise

there pretty good, but quite expensive aswell.....
its all about getting the right one... if u want i can ask my mum what she would recomend (she owns a pet shop) but shes out at the moment.

if they dont wanna spend the money they can do what i did which was, everytime the dog barked we would spray him with a bottle of vinegar/water mix, it has to be directly after they bark though so they know what there doing wrong...

edit: the noise ones arent that great, get the spray ones.
we also hads an electric remote one once... but we'd always loose the dam remote or not have it handy when he barked... lol

from he people i see that but them from us, both the ones that get the citronella spray and the vibrating or noise emmitting type it works long term for about 6 out of 10 dogs. my farthers in laws dog for example worked out the canister of his spray collar runs out eventually as much as he hated the spray he would bark untill it ran out so he would go through the canister in one day.

i'm more a fan of training myself, fix the reason why the dog is actually barking which commonly is dominance issues, yes it takes longer and more effort on behalf of the owners but it works long term and fixs the problem at the source. here in NSW bark busters is a popular one, not sure if they operate upi your way though. they cost a bit but they garentee the dog for life so u only pay once.

P.S. my father in laws dog got signed up to this and 8 weeks later is all fixed

We got the citronella one. Works wonderfully. As soon as the collar is taken off, my dog Henry starts barking. Put it back on and he's good again :) We used to just leave it on turned off, but he learnt to test it...

Dogs dont just bark for no reason, so the best thing to do is to work out why it is barking and sort that out.

I personally think that electric collars are completely "inhumane", i am really not a fan of using deterant devices for stopping animals from barking or carrying out natural behaviour.

As wood nymph says, the best way is to train them.

We breed Chihuahuas and yeah they bark but it is just a matter of working out what they bark at, and then breaking it down from there. Usually it is because the neighbours cat is out and running rampant.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's people who do not train/discipline their pets :evil:

If I had to live next door to an incessant yapping rat-dog I would go bonkers.

some local councils have them for hire.
cheers:)

Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest - much cheaper than buying them and the owners can test it out to see how effective it is.

It's good that the owners are open to solving the problem! Could be a lot worse...

I have one more a correctional collar, it has a noise and also a shock that you operate by remote, have found with some dogs though that they know too behave while the thing is on and back to old habbits as soon as collar is off. Most are only short term fixes and the problem should be looked at why is it barkin all the time. Hope you get some help there is nothin worst than a constantly barkin dog!!!

Sadly some dogs seem to bark for 'no reason' but dogs such as chihuhua's/foxys/jackrussells etc can sometimes bark at almost anything and everything. A butterfly to a dog this big is quite an interesting thing to bark at. Unless your neighbour is willing to try an electric collar himself, then he should go with the citronella one. They're so effective on all sorts of pooches! I'm a dog groomer and have a bullterrier that comes for his bath. He barked pretty much non stop, the citronella collar has honestly cured him. Bullies are pretty determined dogs so it was awesome it worked :) By the sounds of it, your friends just need to keep him inside with some distractions like treat ball toys, etc while they're out. Slothhead, I'm with you with all your comments!

We had to get the zappy collar for hire from the council when we had our dog. The people next door had a rottweiller that growled at us and our dog when we were out the back so my dog barked at it. Anyway, she was an old dog and it worked on her pretty well. Once the people next door left we stopped using it as they were the ones who complained. After awhile she started to bark again but it wasn't very often - only when we got home or were playing :)

the electric ones are not a strong shock at all... there is a test function to tell if the battery is flat... it is a full powered jolt and it only compares to licking a 9 volt battery...

We have used the citronella collars and our dog barked it dry.We then used an electonic one which he barked flat,so it was then a trip to the vets to be de-barked (voice box removed).So now he can bark to his hearts content without making any noise!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back