dogs that wont dig up backyards?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a maltese and he is beautiful and i love him to bits BUT if he wasnt so cute i could kill him!!! he runs through the house barking at what ever he see's he gets into toilet paper and chews on dirty socks n underwear which we now have to have the basket up on a shelf cause he knocked it down to get the clothes he has his own bed but likes to sleep with meeeee and he has plenty of toys but human toys are wayyyyy more cool to play with like shoes and toothbrushes that have been knocked onto the shower floor and not picked up by a lazy hubby who did it in the 1st place......anyway over all i think a maltese you and your parents will love they are so much fun they can be trained to fetch and sit and they do eat little amounts so yes they poo small..........get one you wont be unhappy with that ...............they cost around $200-$400 a pup ........

I think the idea of the vinegar is to spray it on the wees they have done inside, not on the dog itself, thats kinda cruel. We have had maltese, and their poo ain't that small! We currently have jack russels, who are notorious for digging, but they very rarely do unless a rat is involved. puts on flame suit: we sprinkled chilli flakes in the holes and they stopped right away, usually without going that close to the hole/new ground, as they could smell it.

Young dogs are more likely to dig holes to burn of energy , especially working dogs like Kelpies or Healers . If you get a dog from RSPCA or the dog pound you will find older dogs are cheaper , smarter , eat less and would rather sleep in the sun than dig a hole . Our Rottie x Kelpie is 6yrs old and getting better every day .

My dogs get left in there yard nearly all day and thy dig coz there bored.
where going to move them to a bigger yard.
I show the dog what they did and say vere firmly but not agresivly "Look what you've done, thats very, very, bad, don't do it.
my dog used to be aloud inside when we found a **** we pulled her over and said that then put her outside.
she doesn't **** inside anymore!
but it might not work on other dogs
thats from my own expirence.

I saw something on A show little while ago it was about concering snake phobias
What you need to do is get a pic of a snake and tell ur mum to move her hand ober the entire snake in her own time.
then get a fake snake and let her hold it in her own time.
then make her lie down in a couch or something and put the snake over her very slowly,
then make her sit up and hug it.
then move to a cage that has a snake in it and YOU pick it up and show that it isn't dangers.
then let her hold it.
i think thats what the show said.
i'm not sure it was on creature features about 4 weeks ago.

My dogs get left in there yard nearly all day and thy dig coz there bored.
where going to move them to a bigger yard.
I show the dog what they did and say vere firmly but not agresivly "Look what you've done, thats very, very, bad, don't do it.
my dog used to be aloud inside when we found a **** we pulled her over and said that then put her outside.
she doesn't **** inside anymore!
but it might not work on other dogs
thats from my own expirence.

Willia6, if your dogs are digging because they are bored, fix the darn problem (which is the boredom) rather than telling them off.
Dogs have a short memory, so they need correction straight away (like within 5 seconds) otherwise if you come home and find a hole they dug, take them over to it and babble on like you did "Look what you've done, thats very, very, bad, don't do it." the poor dog is only reacting to your firm voice and body language, and hears " blah blah blah blah" , so she knew she was in trouble, but not what for.
If you find the dog digging up your plants, chewing on something it shouldnt be, then discipline (not hitting or yelling) straight away. Correct immediately, and make it short. A firm "NO", and then give the dog something appropriate to chew on.

Plenty of toys available that will keep dogs occupied. For diggers, get a clam shell pool and fill it with sand, bury treats in there so they will learn to dig in it.
Get a Kong and fill it with peanut butter or other treats that they have to work at for an hour or two to get the stuff out.
Marrow bones are great for chewing on.

You cant stick a dog in a yard for hours on end and expect it to entertain itself.

If thats your idea of how a dogs life should be, get a stuffed dog toy instead.

im in newtown in inner west sydney
iv just been looking at the dogs on the rspca website for the yagoona shelter
are there many other adoption places or places like rspca in sydney?
if there are please link
thanks,
sam

Hi again,

Just click on the link here and you will find a list of rescue shelters in NSW. Contact the one closest to you, some have websites and you will hopefully find the dog that will be your new family member. :)

http://www.dogrescue-au.net/rescue-groups/new-south-wales/default.aspx

Yep as most people have already mentioned digging is a sign of boredom for many dogs, though it's also instinctive.. A good way to keep both you and your dog happy could be to give it a designated area of it's own to dig in, such as one of those cheap hard plastic clam shell kiddy pools, just fill it with some sand, bury a few treats and some toys in there and there you go, your dog will be entertained and happy :D

You just have to make sure you teach him to know which areas he's "allowed" to dig in. Put him in this area and encourage him to dig in there, then praise him - lots of pats, cuddles, "good boy"s lol and if you catch him trying to dig elsewhere, a stern no, but with training and exercise incorporated into your dog's daily routine, it shouldn't be a problem!

Good luck with it all, and remember in general the younger and more active a dog is, the bigger the tendency for it to be a digger.

What works for me: A tired dog = A good dog :lol:
I work them any way I can both physically and mentally, so as they never build up frustrations which equals destruction

haha well thanks guy
ill see what i can convince my dad to get me haha

the big thing shonfield is spending time with the dog, training them well and keeping them entertained.. i have 4 dogs and none of them dig..as puppies they occassionally did but training fixes that.. they get a 4-5km run 4-5 days a wk so there exercise requirements are met, they have a 5 x 5 metre sand pit for digging that u can bury small bones in for them to find, chew toys such as kongs filled with peanut butter or bits of liver treat inside them or large bones like cow shins keep them amused whilst ur not home..another good toy is a bungee cord with a rag on the end hanging from a tree branch so they can play tugga war is also very good for them..also basic obedience training a couple times a wk does wonders for them..just remember that dogs are a full time committment for many years but with the right work put into them they can become ur best mate..good luck

tonks

I used to think that only bored dogs dig.........then came Aragorn!! :shock: He digs...& digs.......& digs!! He buries things like his toys [ doesn't like to share them ], his bones [ wont share them either ] & then he digs a ditch to lie in to keep watch over his hidden treasures! He is not bored as there is almost always something to do or somewhere to go! He just enjoys it! He is 2yo and I don't think he'll ever stop! His diggings are HUGE, so big that we don't roll our ankles when we fall into one....WE CALL FOR A LADDER!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:
The offender :evil: !

Last edited:
I have Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Never had a problem with digging or chewing things when they were little. Found them to be relaxed an laid back or run a mile if you want them too. Just have to buy from reputable breeder as they can be prone to MVD (mitral valve disease) mine are 8 and 9 and are all clear but they don't get spoilt with too many table scraps either which is where a lot of people go wrong with Cavs. Most Cavs you see around are terribly overweight hence the heart problems :((

good luck with whatever you choose hopefully you can convince your mum on a reptile, just don't tell her they are addictive and that you will HAVE to have more LOL

If you have never owned a dog before, please do some research on what their needs are in regards to vet work (desexing, vaccinations, etc) plus all the preventative health products that you need......worming, heartworm prevention, fleas and tick prevention, especially if you are in a tick area, as they can and do kill dogs every day).

Just to give you an idea, for a medium sized dog......yearly vaccinations/health check are around $80, a 6 month supply of heartworm prevention is around $45, flea/tick prevention around $65 for 6 month supply,
worming 3 monthly around $20.

Then factor in a collar and lead, dog bed, kennel if sleeping outside, dog shampoo, nail clippers, toys etc, and it all adds up.
Then vets fees if anything happens to your dog. May as well take out a bank loan then. :shock:

Then there is feeding (not buying a can of dog food and giving it to them) , training, walks, exercise, grooming, playing, trimming their nails, baths, etc. Dogs need physical and mental stimulation.

Its not just a case of buying a dog, sticking it in the yard and then playing with it occasionally.

And you need to find the right dog for your lifestyle. If you have no time for walking, playing etc, you willl need a very laid back dog (greyhound) if you arent into grooming, dont get a long haired dog or a small white fluffy one as they need grooming/clipping (which is another cost).

Good luck, but I would try to convince your parents to get you a snake. :p

There is no breed of dog that wont dig.....a bored dog digs.

my feance had a huge fear of snakes due to when she was like 6 yo her cousin threw a 6 ft coastal in he face.

but with time and a lot of trips to the pet shop (she thort it was to look at fish) slowly she became comfortable looking at the pythons through the glass.
then oneday while she was looking a guy walked up and asked if we wanted to hold one and assured her that she wouldent get bitten and nothing would happen. he pulled out a 1yo diamond an showed her how placid he was by kissing him on the lips. she then decided to hold him. the next day we applyed for the licence and with in two weeks he was home with us (the diamond not the petshop guy). now she loves them. with time
your mum will get use to the idea just dont push the subject too much. and let her see the petshop people handle them and she will realize there not that bad

I know it might sound crazy but try a greyhound. I also live in Newtown and have two (one I foster) in a terrace house. They are great dogs that actually do not require a lot of exercise and prefer to sleep! They also do not tend to bark and are actually the easist dog to own. They do not tend to destroy things (of course every dog has a different prersonality). I have attached a picture of they greyhound I foster (she is up for adoption - look on www.petrescue.com.au or www.dabs.org.au for full profile) If you or your parents have any questions feel free to ask, as greyhounds really do make great pets!

I agree, My signature is another Greyhound adoption site, click on it for some info. Best breed around!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back