python getting them out,

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaidro

Reaction score
hi all..

i have a atherton jungle, and when it's time for me to hold her i get her out of a box. i find this an easier way, as when she is just out in the enclosure i find she can be a little snappy, and cage protective. i have a box in the cool end and the heat end. and i am just wondering if i could possibly get her out of this stage or is it too late? she is 14 months, and i have been doing it this way since august last year at least. also would like to know how other ppl go about handeling them. would be cool to hear back. :)

thanks all.
kellie

I also tend to get my python out via one of his hides when he is in it rather than pick him up directly as he can also be snappy if he sees me coming whereas once I've got him he is ok. The only other option (which I haven't tried) is using a snake hook to lift her out. Alot of people do this. Imagine being this little snake and having this big hand coming down at you, no wonder they strike, but a hook is a little bit less invasive I suppose. Then maybe over time you can ditch the hook and she may just be happy with your hand. Otherwise just keep using the hook, whatever works.

i have always thought that hooks where a bad idea.. lol at the moment i have my fiances little childrens in one hand. she is soo tiny. we'll make a thread about her soon. :) today we are both heading to my mums for the night and there will be 3 snakes all in the house, seeing as we are taking bree, and shady, and my mum has a coastal tara. should be interesting. with the box idea i just open one end and tip the box to my other hand and she falls into my hand. she''s doing great that way. :)

Why do you think hooks are a bad idea? (I'm just wondering, not judging) the only reason I suggested it is I read on another thread someone felt like a wimp using a hook but others said using a hook doesn't mean you are weak, it is sometimes in the best interest of the snake eg, reduces striking which in turn reduces the chance of the snake hurting itself etc etc
As I said I have never used one myself but maybe I should. But yeah I do the same as you, I pick mine up while he is in his hide and tip him onto my hand. It does work well. (for you and me anyway!)

yes, it works wonders. i used to be able to pick her up just in the enclosure, but since she has moved to a large enclosure, she has used the boxes and thats how i pick her up. she's quite smallish compared to what she should be. has anyone got a pic of their jungles, compared to their hand? cause bree is 14 months, and is still eating fuzzie rats, i spoke to a freind the other day and they said to me that i should step her up to a hopper rat. also bout the hooks i just think it's a scary method... it feels to me like i'm handeling a dangerous snake or something.. i always just thought that jooks would scare the snake.. and make them stressed.. but oi guess your method bout them could work. lol my fiance is now holding her and shes roaming fast round his good hand. :)
i didn't mean any offence bout the hooks, i have just never tried,.. and was not sure bout it... wether it would scare them..

hi i put a branch in there incloser and they sit at the hight they like but all i do is put my hand in below were they are and touch there belly and as they go to climb off the branch i simpy put my other hand were there climbing to and pull them out.

No offence taken kaidro, I've never used them either. Maybe someone who has can answer your question. Unless you do a search and see what you come up with.

hi my diomond is now 2 yo old and is still on fuzzies i feed him once a fortnight. i have taken him the the vet for a check up and he said hes helthy and perfect wight. dont try feeding him too much just to get bigger its can be risky and shorten the life span. as a rule once they poop give it a day or two and then feed. it seems to work for me , im lucky with my coastal she tells me when shes hungery she puts her head against the door i feed her from. and if she wants out she goes to the other door. but been 12yo shes got it worked out.

wow maddowse. i didn't know that.. it's just when i got bree, my atherton, the breeder told me she had feeding issues, but she was past that. seeing as it was my first snake and i didn't know much, i fed her a couple of days after, and she ate fine.. then the next time she ate again, the following week, she didn't. then again she didn''t eat for 3 months., and at the time when i got her she was 3 months old. and small for what she shoule have been.. now she is on fuzzies. i had so SO much trouble getting her onto fuzzies, so i am a bit warey of stepping her up again. lol in length she is bout 3 foot, but seeing as i have not measured her, im just going by the length of her vs her enclosure. and in width she could be a 10 cent coin in width.. is that a normal size for a atherton tableland jungle? of 14 months?

and maddowse, i hope you find your snake, i could never imagine losing one of mine. would be horrible. and would feel really sad. is there any places you have not checked??

plastic coated hangers make good hooks and wont hurt your snake the hook is only for lifting out of cage once out wont need hook ,,,,,,,,RBB

if u use a hook, what happens when your snake gets big, are hooks still an option. I use a hook on my MD (bout 3 months old) coz he/she freaks out a bit if u use your hand. So really, my question is, can u "hook" a 2 metre python???

hi my diomond is now 2 yo old and is still on fuzzies i feed him once a fortnight. i have taken him the the vet for a check up and he said hes helthy and perfect wight. dont try feeding him too much just to get bigger its can be risky and shorten the life span. as a rule once they poop give it a day or two and then feed. it seems to work for me , im lucky with my coastal she tells me when shes hungery she puts her head against the door i feed her from. and if she wants out she goes to the other door. but been 12yo shes got it worked out.

Why do you say it shortens there life span? Is there any proof you have?
I just got another yealing jungle aswell, his a snappy little thing. I just get him out with a hook.

So really, my question is, can u "hook" a 2 metre python???

I use a hook with my Scrub Pythons (there both just over 3m). I find that they usually have a feeding response when first touched, so when its a hook they realise quickly there wont be food (seeing ive done this with them from the start). I believe its now routine for them.

I'm all for hooks..........we use a hook to get out our 3 metre carpet, she can be a little territorial in her enclosure but once out she's good to go without the hook. i think it's less stressful for her, she never strikes the hook whereas hands are another story. We use this method on all our snakes now

Hi
I have a 15 mth bredli who i got as a yearling an she was a little snappy having not been handle much as a baby. i found the best way to approach her was to be firstly very confident an non hesitant and found that using the palm of my hand to approach her first, as she cant really get a good grip, and then picking her up when my hand wa close enough. i still do it with her now as it's better than risk being bitten not tht it really hurts as she is still young lol. she is much more settled now :)
she is still in a large click clack but i will use the same method in her large enclosure but instead of my palm a bigger piece of cardboard

...can I ask how MANY fuzzies you feed each session?

A 14mth old or 2yr old Morelia should certainly be eating a larger meal than this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back