Whats the best substrate to use?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzle

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello, Im just wondering what you use in the bottom of your reptile enclosures?
I will be purchasing the essentials this week for a Stimsons python.
What is the easiest to keep clean?
Ive also heard of something called "reptile carpet" or "astro turf", is anyone using this? or heard of it?

Thanks in advance :D

Newspaper is the cheapest and easiest substrate.
If you don't like the look of newspaper, you can always go and get some plain white butchers paper and cut it to size, or I've seen kitchen paper towl used too if you like pretty patterns ;)

I use paper in some enclosures and astro turf in others. The only thing with the astro turf is you need to give it a good hose down and disinfect every few weeks.

i use paper towel or aspen bedding both really easy to clean

Can you get fake grass from bunnings warehouse and/or mitre 10?
and do you know where i could get a 4ftHX2ftWX2ftD tank for bredli's?
and do blue/red ES/BC bulbs produce both UVB and UVA?

Last edited:
new's paper cheap and easy to clean, i have tried astro turf look good but gets smelly, breeder's choice but u tend to spot clean and shredded new's paper bulky hard to place hides etc. new's paper is my choice

Ive been reading through alot of the old post about substrates and Im thinking I might try either the fake grass or newspaper underneath shade cloth. I have a glass bottom tank. Any updates about either one of these?

Can you get fake grass from bunnings warehouse and/or mitre 10?
and do you know where i could get a 4-5ft tank for bredli's?
In the for sale section maybe. Stop hijacking threads, and make your own one.:)

i steered clear of the atro turf cause i was told by a couple of members if you get the wrong kind (refering to the blades of grass) it can irritate their cloaca (excuse me if this is incorrect just what i've heard) so i stuck to reptile carpet. i haven't had any issues with it; easy to clean, just soak it for 10-15mins in some disinfectant, rinse and chuck in the washing machine for a spin dry, dries completely in the sun within about 10 mins after that. paper is disposable and dirt cheap, but my stimmie is in a display cage in my living room so i didn't want to look at newspaper.
and yes you can buy astro turf from mitre 10 or bunnings, i found my reptile carpet at http://www.canberraexotics.com.au/shopshow.toy?animalnid=15195&categorynid=1078

News paper i fined the best as it is easy to clean. When used change it that simple

Lewy

I'd recogmened newspaper if you don't care abou the look but if you want something that isn't as boring as newspaper i'd use reptile carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back