Teach a dummy guitar??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falconboy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Heres one for all the guitar players.

I bought a cheap electric guitar kit today to learn. I've always liked the thought of being able to play, but never really tried. Now, it came with a learn to play DVD and 10min into it I was lost - it showed 2 chords (A minor and something else minor) then when I had to play them together I forgot the finger positioning for the first chord.

Now I don't consider myself completely stupid, but why do I find it so hard that I get lost so easily.:cry:

Can anyone suggest a really good book/video/technique to learn - using tabs is fine, I just want to learn how to play some of my favourite songs.

Assume I know NOTHING about playing and that I'm 5 years old. :shock:

I bought a cheap kit as I thought I won't loose much if I end up flogging it on ebay, but I'd prefer to give it a decent go before I resort to that - at least not the same day I bought it. :lol:

I would be eternally greatful and when I'm a famous musician I'll thank you at my sell out concert. :lol:

dont feel stupid, playing guitar isnt at all as easy as hendrix and the likes make it seem....
as for your questions, some vids can breeze through things a bit quick for a begginer, i suggest getting a chord book from your local music store, they come in a compact sort of book that can fit in a geetar case these days..maybe after getting some memory in your fret hand it will become easier...
and get a cheap tuner from ebay or the music store and check the tuning of the guitar regularly as cheaper guitars can go out of tune easily and i reckon could be off putting when it sounds terrible...
if you are not getting the hang of it in a few days, ill come and trade you a lesson or two for some herp knowledge, if you like....all the best with the face melting lead breaks..
ROCK ON!!!

A mate of ours from this band http://www.myspace.com/sadistikexekkution , Dave slave, will give you guitar lessons for $70 for 1 1/2 hours if you are interested. He does everything, not just metal and you will learn a great deal from him,not just mimiking like with a 'teacher" and he isn't far away from you.

Last edited:
Get a couple of lessons to learn the basics, then teach yourself, I had about 5 lessons, then just dloaded all the guitar tabs I wanted and practiced and learnt myself.

Good fun

what gsxr said is a good idea too, just depends how far you want to go with it....
if its only a few sing along faves that you want to learn...you will only need a few lessons, just to learn some chord shapes and good strumming/ picking techniques...the rest you can get from tabs after you know how to form chords....if its sell out arena style, panties dropping guitar heroism you want, prepare yourself for years of practise

A mate of ours from this band http://www.myspace.com/sadistikexekkution , Dave slave, will give you guitar lessons for $70 for 1 1/2 hours if you are interested. He does everything, not just metal and you will learn a great deal from him,not just mimiking like with a 'teacher" and he isn't far away from you.

You're friends with Dave?!
Ahh. Lol
I love Sadistik Exekution.

Anyway... yeah, face-face guitar lessons = the way to go.

You're friends with Dave?!
Ahh. Lol
I love Sadistik Exekution.

Anyway... yeah, face-face guitar lessons = the way to go.

Yep!
We bought a printed Lp off him tonight and he autographed it and gave us a free poster,sticker and autographed cd! :)
Pays to be nice to your neighbours! ;)

I had guitar lessons for about $15 for half an hour.

It's a good idea to go to a teacher and learn the basics and get to know your way around the fret board until you're comfortable enough to start learning on your own.

Thanks for your comments guys. The guitar and amp are in the corner of the room where I put them in disgust with myself. :(

Luke84, thanks for the offer mate. I'll see how I go and might just take you up on it. However, how do you know I have any decent herp knowledge to offer. Some might argue that point. :) Its got one of those built in tuners and its tuned ok and sounded like it should in the DVD, although I seem to be having trouble with tuning the 6th string. Half my problem I know already is not cupping my hand enough, its just so unnatural.

I hope Dave_slave doesn't teach me that stuff his band plays, I'll have a constant headache. LOL. The only issue I have with choosing who to get proper lessons with, is that there is a huge difference between someone being able to play and being able to teach someone else.

Metal_Jazz, $15 half and hour sounds good. I take it that was a while ago, sounds really cheap. I was hoping not to have to have too many face to face lessons as I think it could add up to a fortune.

Might have to pick one of those chord books up and go from there. You're right guys, once learn my way around the fret board, ie chords etc it will be tonnes easier. I think thats half the battle won there.

I'll give it another go before I slit my wrists with a guitar string.

Yep!
We bought a printed Lp off him tonight and he autographed it and gave us a free poster,sticker and autographed cd! :)
Pays to be nice to your neighbours! ;)

*grumbles a mumble in jealousy*

That's really awesome.
Hah - I wish I had cool neighbors...
My neighbor just gives flowers and has really annoying dogs that bark and bark and bark.

Thank you. If I can't play guitar I can at least be inventive.

Don't mind me, I'm having a bad day. They seem regular lately. :(

is that sixth string you thickest one or the thinest one???
and as for the herp knowledge, im just assuming..lol
like i said if u only want to play sing along type stuff rather than become a guitar hero, you should only need a few lessons to get strumming technique and a few tips on forming chords, the rest you can learn from books, ive never had a lesson except for being shown a lick here and there from guitar plays who were better than me...
helpful tip: if your ever playing in front of a non-player and break a string, make the comment "dont you hate it when your G-string snaps" gets a good giggle every time

Hey Luke.

Its the thickest one. Its hard to describe, but it also sounds......rattley??? when its picked. Its close to tuned, but theres something going on.

Ha Ha about the G string, I must say I smirk deep down every time I hear it mentioned. I am a dirty, dirty boy. :)

Hey Luke.

Its the thickest one. Its hard to describe, but it also sounds......rattley??? when its picked. Its close to tuned, but theres something going on.

Ha Ha about the G string, I must say I smirk deep down every time I hear it mentioned. I am a dirty, dirty boy. :)

Hahahahah!!

Anyway, I have some e-book that I purchased like two years ago for my little brother - but he didn't end up getting a guitar so it's going to waste - I could email it to you or something if you want.

if its the low E string thats not tuning right, it could be getting caught in the nut (the plastic bit at the top of the neck that all the strings run through)..its easily repaired
as for the "fret buzz" its usually caused by the action set too low and/or the truss rod adjustment is incorrect

action- the height the strings are above the fret board
truss rod- a steel rod inside the neck used to adjust the bend of the neck

I didn't read the problem but it can also buzz if you're not pressing down hard enough on the strings.

I'd suggest learning some scales too, they'll help you get used to moving your fingers around.

Yeah, the $15 an hour was about four years ago.

good call metal jazz, i forgot to assume that newbies rarely push hard enough, in time you will be fine with it and have some mighty calusus* to show for your troubles

and scales yeah, well they are the rules/basice around which music is written...also very helpful excercises
start out with major, minor, pentatonic and blues scales...work on the exotics when u get them down pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back