Hatchling shedding problems HELP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarita

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was hoping you may be ale to help me. I finally got my first python (olive python hatchling) last week. I left her a week to settle in and during this time she has shed her skin but she did not shed very well and it all came off in peices. So my partner and I have helped her along alot. We wiped her down in a face washer with warm water and peeled the excess off which mostly covered her body and part of her face. Her eyes are clear so no drama there. She is a very placid little thing and not snappy at all except before she when her eyes were blue. assuming this was because her eye sight wasn't the greatest before the shed. But now her whole body has her nice new skin layer exept for her nose. I have tried once again to help her but it is really stuck there and i dont want to pull at it and damage her new skin nor do I want to hurt her. What else can I do for her? Does it need to come off or will the next shed get rid of it? She seems pretty annoyed with it being there as she is continously rubbing her face.

Open to all sugestions

you have done well with your newby, but yes you will have to remove the nose skin
asap, try putting her in a container with a damp towel and place her back in her enclosure for warmth
and observe her, after a while she should be able to rub the nose skin off by herself.If not you may have to
help her again as the warm damp atmosphere you created in the container should help the skin come off
fairly easily

Sarita - As Beeman has said - place her in a tub of luke warm water - the skin will become quite soft...

I find that a towel submerged in the tub helps get some off and then usually let the snake move through a dry towel when it has soaked for a while - this usually has the desired effect...

Thanks guys Ill try that out also we havnt fed her yet and was wondering how long should I leave it is the weekend fine if she has been successful with her nose? or should I try before hand.

Cammomile Tea

Expert advice appreciated and welcome.
Before I purchased my first snake (Coastal) two years ago, I was told to use cold cammomile tea on the non-shedding areas if I had any problems. None too date, so can't elaberate any further.
This may help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back