Snakes & Reptiles in NSW pet shops.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is (HOPEFULLY) when it happens in NSW Pet Shops, it will be done properly.

What I mean by this is that there will hopefully be tight monitoring, not everyone gets an automatic licence, the policy makers work side by side with the Reptile community to ensure that every possible concern is out on the table before they come up.

Anyway, I could go on for hours, but its 12 months minimum away yet, and by the speed NPWS work, make it 24.

Why should we have a six month rule of keeping a reptile you buy if a shop can bring them in and move them of straight away.This not only helps stop the turn over of reptiles for a quick buck but also helps to stop the spread of sickness and disease.Shops are just in it for a quick buck.

I have previous dealings with a shop in the Melboure many years ago who sent sick adult jungles and darwins then tried to blame it on the air freight .They were taken to the vet on arrival(she said dont keep these guys in your house and gave me a nice bill at my expence)the were sent back the next day which then cost more frieght and the shop asked me never to speak of this with any one else, after they found out what was going on aweek later from their on vet .Down the track some one else i came across had the same thing happen from the exact same supplier with bredli.
A while ago i was supplying alot of live rats to a shop chain in nsw for years ,then one day they brought in a clause on the sale receipt that stated ( any sick or injuried animals within 21 days of the sale would be picked up and refunded) like i am responsable for what they do or what ever rodents they mixed in. I simply no longer supply them and sold only to regular buyers.

Down the track if any thing were to go wrong the shop owner would end up blaming the supplier (breeder) just to cover theirself thus giving someone a bad name that does not deserve it .

was just talking to a friend who works for national parks. 95% chance it is not even going to happen, they looked at all the pros and the cons and the cons are much greater. the pet industry wants it but it aint gonna happen for a long time

Good we don't need more reptiles or any pets in general dying due to neglect and pet stores failing to educate the consumer properly.!

pet industry news letter:

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Although New South Wales currently has a number of restrictions on the importation and sale of reptiles, the Minister for Climate Change, Environment and Water, Phil Koperberg, gave the Department of Environment and Climate Change (DECC) his approval in principle of a new commercial reptile traders license. This could allow NSW retailers to catch up with the other states and sell URS livestock such as the Blue-tongued Lizard through their own stores.[/FONT]

disgraceful former minister

Wow, public opinion actually seems to be improving! Remarkable!

Just have to say this, you said no to all animals gone from pet shops but how many of you people first became aware of reptiles from pet shops or got their first mammal/bird/fish/amphibian or insect from a pet shop to make you want to look closer into, or wanting to actually breed said animals. i dont have a problem with pet shops selling reptiles as long as they (the shop)are looked into and have the knowledge to sell the reptiles they want to sell and then are licensed by NPWS, as happens in S.A. also read the PIAA newsletter and N.S.W. are getting closer to being able to sell reptiles from pet shops

Unfortunately, it's going to happen.

What I'd like to see is part of the License fee for the Petshops to keep reptiles to fund more staff and resources for NPWS (or DECC as they are now known) so they can do regular checks. Of course, that wouyld mean the funds go directly to licensing/enforcement and not into a general operating fund.

:p

Hix

I think that if they are sold in pet shops they won't be as interesting coz people will relize were to get them nad if you want a pet that none has it won't be a snake or something and they will be mistreated the exact same way.
people that no nothing will go "ohh my snake can go for a month without food! it'll be alot cheaper now" adn they'll starve it:cry:
I say NOOOO go get 1 from some1 that knows what there doing!

When i first got into reptiles i didn,t have access to the net.I stumbled accross a few breeders , bought a couple of animals only to find that those animals were wild caught and in one case sick.
Putting reptiles in petshops is the first step in bringing the hobby out from under the table(or the back alleys of McDonalds)
There are already dodgey sellers out there. The challenge is to develop a system which ensures accountability .Petshops at least have something to lose with their significant investment and public scutiny. You are kidding yourself if you think a private reptile owner with a couple of animals breeding in the back room has the same.How often do you see posts from people saying they just have to get rid of hatchoes because they dont have space to keep them. That sort of desperation encourages them to sell to anyone.

Hope the department in NSW get the selling of reps in pet shops regulated
properly, eg-husbandry, feeding ,handling etc, because in the majority of the
pet shops i have seen all these basic things LACK GREATLY!
A lot of these shops are a source of mite infestations ri,s etc ans all they are worried
about is thier bottom line!

Poor husbandry, mites or poor reputatio n should effect a petshops bottomline as they are under public scutiny. Private keepers on the otherhand are not!

Poor husbandry, mites or poor reputatio n should effect a petshops bottomline as they are under public scutiny. Private keepers on the otherhand are not!

That doesnt seem to make any difference to the pet shop trade!, They have been able to
keep reps in pet shops in vic for a long time and the majority are at best very poor in this regard.

A lot of people are voicing opinions regarding the poor husbandry in pet stores as well as the lack of knowledge the staff have. Having experienced both side of the fence, i can say that in Vic, stores are inspected prior to licence approval for enclosure suitability and then several times a year at random and unanounced by DSE. How many private collectors undergo this scrutiny?
This is a good system, however when DSE discovers that there is something wrong their ability to deal with this is slow and questionable, as was seen in the case of Melbourne's largest store. It took 12 months for this place to be closed down and it took 3 different organisations. In that time many animals suffered unnecessarily. Why it took this long who knows?
Having reptiles in stores will help exposure of the hobby to the greater community and with this increased public visibility will come better husbandry, better knowledge and greater accountability. There will undoubtedly be cases of neglect however judging by many basic questions posted on this forum this is already going on inadvertently.
JMO but it seems that there needs to be a system that allows people who experience dishonest breeders/stores to make others aware so that they can avoid being stung by these same people. In this way it would be very difficult for these people to carry on that way for very long.

I made the trip down to Melbourne a few years ago and spent the day checking out the shops that sold reptiles.They ranged from barely adequate to downright disgraceful with their setups,cleanliness etc.

Im against petshops selling reptiles.One reason is they get their stock from multiple sources and have NO way of quarantining any animals coming in.

A lot of people are voicing opinions regarding the poor husbandry in pet stores as well as the lack of knowledge the staff have. Having experienced both side of the fence, i can say that in Vic, stores are inspected prior to licence approval for enclosure suitability and then several times a year at random and unanounced by DSE. How many private collectors undergo this scrutiny?
This is a good system, however when DSE discovers that there is something wrong their ability to deal with this is slow and questionable, as was seen in the case of Melbourne's largest store. It took 12 months for this place to be closed down and it took 3 different organisations. In that time many animals suffered unnecessarily. Why it took this long who knows?
Having reptiles in stores will help exposure of the hobby to the greater community and with this increased public visibility will come better husbandry, better knowledge and greater accountability. There will undoubtedly be cases of neglect however judging by many basic questions posted on this forum this is already going on inadvertently.
JMO but it seems that there needs to be a system that allows people who experience dishonest breeders/stores to make others aware so that they can avoid being stung by these same people. In this way it would be very difficult for these people to carry on that way for very long.

When I have sold animals to pet shops in Melbourne they have gone to the owners home for quarantine and checking for a few months then to the shops as required. This doesn't always happen with private breeders and in NSW its very difficult to quarantine at different properties with "the six month rule". NSW need to introduce and operate under standards for private or commercial licences wich address all the issue raised. A system which favours one group and penalises another doesn,t help the animals. Assuming that is the aim of the game??

i personally cant wait for it to happen as wokka has said it will bring the hobby out of the back allys of mcdonalds carparks and so on but the pet shops wo do endevour to get this licence should have their own reptile licence for atleast 2 years that way they know how to care for the animals and an inspection every couple of months would work great well i think it will

I will still sell things in McDonald's carparks, because I don't want complete strangers knowing where I live. I probably won't be selling to petshops, because I can't control whether they will be looked after properly or not. Unless of course, the shop was run by someone I know who is good with reptiles (and there won't be too many of them, if Victoria is anything to go by).

I think many veteran herpetoculturists will have similar views.

Hix

Most groups hates change and by definition the veterans have been doing the same old same old thing longest.

The veterans might have been doing the same old same old thing the longest, but they also have the wisdom of experience and are not subjected to the wide-eyed naivete of the enthusiastic newbies who have only been keeping a few years and think that petshops are simply another easy way to buy reptiles.

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back