Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzle

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So what do you say or do to the people that scream and carry on like cough drops when you tell them you have a snake or lizard as a pet?

We havent even picked ours up yet and already my mother-in-law, brother-inlaw and couple good mates are refusing to ever come to our house again!!! I get people telling me Im a weirdo????!!!!

I dont understand why they act like this! So what can I say to them?
And have any of you out there 'converted' people from absolute reptile haters, to reptile lovers??

Last edited by a moderator:
people are afraid of the onknown.
Don't worry. They will come sound in thier own time.
My girlfriend had never been within 10m of a snake. Sacred stupid. Now i can't keep my snake in the cage. She won't leave it alone.
And is bugging me to buy her a black and white diamond python.

Lots of people come over to "our" side, some even in an hour or two after watching reptile demos
others take years ... but oh what a feeling when they do :):):)
Just be patient with your friends and inlaws, the intelligent ones will soon be curious after the initial hysteria
and attention seeking attitudes have diminished.
Cheers
Sandee :)

Wow, I never had anyone act like that. That's ridiculous!

I would tell them what an idiot they're being..
And tell them they're welcome to come over any time to see that it's in a, hopefully, escape proof enclosure and that it's harmless otherwise they can go jump.

People annoy me >_<

I've never experienced a reaction anywhere close to what you've described.
Just shrug your shoulders & get on with what your doing I say.

Don't worry my mum was like that and now she has evan held mine , but you will get people who will all ways be scared of snakes , like a friend of mine who runs everytime I take one out of the cage, evan when I bring out a juvi

jsut ignore them people like that are just pure ignorent and only go off what they see in tv and what not.

We are picking up a baby Stimsons python later this week :lol:
Such a scary snake!!! LOL

I work in a bar and was telling a few people, their the ones who told me where i can go and that Im a weirdo. Big burly, tough talking, hard drinking blokes, scared ****less of a python, I think its funny!

:lol: if Id known snakes were a good in-law repellant, I wouldve gotten one 9 yrs ago!

Im hoping I can open their eyes a bit.

I have always found that our enthusiasm eventually rubs off. I even have to tell people when the next feed is on, so they can all come to watch! And not just the kids! All the neighbours love it and my nana doesn't even seem to mind so much anymore... as long as it stays in the tank. lol

its not the ones that say they would never go near a snake, its the ones that say the only good snake is a dead one, and threaten to kill yours if they see it that are the problem

I had every relative and friend think I was nuts and yes, it's because they're afraid of the unknown. I've converted a lot of them in the last 3 years :) I still find it hard to tell my small childrens parents before they come for playdates as the general consensus is to assume their kids will be strangled if left alone. lol.. poor uneducated souls.. :)

haha, my family initially refused to come round and were all upset when i got my python, (they were fine with the beardies)

....till they met him, now i have to take him over when i go to visit or i dont get fed. :)

my best friend spent 2 years avoiding my house, and if she came over kept her feet on the lounge (she hated the beardies and snake) now she happily handles the beardies and will even touch the pointy end of the snake when shes drunkish. :)

Yeah I've had a few 'what would you want one of those for' comments.
I'm used to it now. But I find it's mostly guys who a frightened.
But everyone is interested when feeding time comes around.
I have actually had people ask me if I let my snake slither around the house AND as I had my first python before I had kids, when I got pregnant my mother in law asked me if I was going to get rid of the snake before the baby came.......others have also asked about having the snake with a baby around.
Its a shame, but some people really have no idea.

I have experienced lots of “haters”. Work mates, friends, family members & even my wife. All of them claimed that they hated snakes and they don’t even like looking at photos. I never talked about the snake to them, or had him out of his enclosure around them.
Funny how curiosity gets the better of them. So far all the hatters have first asked to have a look, next its can I touch (keep the head away from me). Then hey can I hold him. And occasionally some of these haters have become keepers themselves. So far not one of them remained haters.

My mother was fine until she handled the mother of the coastal hatchie I got recently, then she was slightly taken aback: "Are you *sure* you want a snake this size?"

Otherwise, my boyfriend is not a fan. I can handle them around him now as long as he's at a "safe" distance*, and he came to the VHS show, so progress is being made...

*What's a "safe distance" from a yearling coastal and maculosa in his mind? About a metre. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back