a little bit angry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rett82

Reaction score
Hi, when i first went to touch my bredli in the petshop last week, he bit my hard. The man at the petshop said he had only been fed a couple of days earlier.
Yesterday morning, i went to bring him out of his enclosure, and he went to bite me again. Infact, he tried several times. I washed my hands to remove any scent first but this didnt work.
So yesterday afternoon, i fed him 2 mice. It was 8 days since his last feed. (he is a yearling). In the middle of that 8 day period, we had him out a few times and he was fine.
Do they get a lot more snappy when they are hungry, or is it an aggression thing?
Also, now that he has just been fed yesterday afternoon, how long should i wait before removing him from his enclosure again? I want to get him use to being handled, but i need a better understanding of when is the best time to handle him.
Also, is there are certain time of day/night that would suit him better?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Rett I Leave Mine About 3 Days After A Feed But I Usuall Get Them Out With A Small Hook They Seem To Be Snappy In There Cage But Are Fine As Soon As I Get Them Out, I'm No Expert Though. Good Luck And Enjoy.

Thanks snakeboy. Yeah we have found that. My husband suggested that perhaps he is territorial and doesnt like us in HIS enclosure. Sounds like a logical explanation. Thanks again.

Why would you buy a snake that bit you the first time you met it?

try getting him on to rats,i also see in your other thread that he is only 2 1/2 ft long we have 3 bredli the same age as yours and all are over 4ft and eating small adult rats

Mine bit me twice, and again the next time I saw it and then again, and again ... but it's cool to have a pet with a little "enthusiasm". Hell, my dog knocked me on my **** when I saw him at the RSPCA and he is one of the best animals i've ever owned. Fantastic with the kids.

rett82, I am new to this thing too, and have a yearling jungle that likes a little munch occasionally (had her for almost a week) . I've found that if I stick my hand in the cage a little she comes over and has a sniff (or a lick or whatever you wanna call it) and then she is fine. if i just go stuffing my hand in there she'll tag me in a heartbeat. She's settling down and getting better day by day, so you may find the same thing, but (then again you might not ... good luck though

I have got a 12 month old Carpet & a young Childrens who were both very snappy. What I found was that with regular handling they calmed down.
What I also did was started feeding them out of their cage which seemed to work

hey Rett all new snakes can and will be at times snappy this is not just your one a plastic coated hanger makes a great hook and wont harm your snake and persistance is the key just keep trying as your baby gets older it will settle down and be more easier to handle ...................Katherine its part of getting a hatchie they will be snappy and nothing unusual about that ..............RBB

Rett - Not sure how long you have had him for so this first part may be of little use...however, upon getting him home, set him up in the enclosure (with correct temps and a few hides) and leave him alone for the best part of two weeks...don't have anything to do with him apart from cleaning his enclosure...once he settles in properly you will notice a much better disposition - the little guy is likely a littl stressed still...

...I get most of my snakes out of their enclosures with a snake hook (as has been suggested a coat hanger bent to shape will work fine as well). I find that it is far less stressful to the snake. As your husband has suggested, some snakes become quite cage defensive but are much quieter once out of the enclosure. This is fairly common and normal as well and another reason to use a hook to reduce the stress of getting them out.

Also, what you need to understand is that (in general) the smaller a snake is - the snappier it is likely to be...as he grows larger (if kept under the right conditions) he will likely calm right down...

I don't handle my snakes for about 3 or 4 days after a feed - you don't want to risk him stressing and regurgitating his food. Also, your snake is quite undersize for a yearling so get him onto rats as soon as you can to get him growing at a good rate again...

Good luck - and get some photos up once he's settled in :D

All of ours bit me before we bought them. I was a threat to them[ as far as they were concerned any way ] & they reacted. Bygones......

My Bredli (Neville)

Hey guys, I just thought while were on topic about bredli can i ask everyone a question?
I have a four and a half foot male bredli(neville) in a huge dalbarb tank. He is fed one med rat a week and sometimes two rats every week and a half if i dont feed him for a bit(usually when he sheds)
My partner asked me a question about him the other day as a couple of weeks ago i fed him just a couple days after shedding. He ate no problem, but the next morning he was in the same spot i left him the night before in a s shape still wanting another feed( he usually sits in this certain spot next to the door when he knows its feeding time) i gave him another rat as i thought he might still be hungry and didnt want him sittin there for a week (stupid i know) so he ate one rat one day then another rat the next morning.. is that bad? i only did it once.
So the questions i have are-
For a one and a half year old bredli is four and a half foot okay?
Am i feeding him correct?( right size food? right amount?))
And should i have not fed him two rats in two days?
Also he was sold to me as hypo, payed 550 for him. Is he hypo?and When do i start cooling him if i live in sydney central coast? Would be nice for the pros to answer me this.
I will put a couple of pics of him up here but i cant get the full length pic of him on here as i dont know how to downsize the pic without cutting half the body out?any one help with that too?
Second pic is when he was 8 months old
Im a shocker i know but hes my oldest snake (and was my fist snake) so im still learning from him as he gets older.
It would be great if someone could tell me anything im doing right or wrong as i dont know if you dont let me know
Thanks guys
Bec

its strange though coz hes not that black type i see sometimes . hes red in color with black at the end of hes body, i thought he was sort of inbetween a normal and a hypo, but i guess that just means red huh? Does anyone have true hypos for sale?

rhett82 - seening as this was your post in the first place ;)

Like other people have said, leave your snake alone for a few weeks, it's probably feeling very vunerable right now, and stressed with new sounds/smells etc. make sure it have PLENTY of warm and cold hides.

If you like, when you feed it, you can do it in a seperate container, so it doesn't see your hand coming into the tank and think 'food!'.

I would leave it about 72 hours after feeing before you hold it, let it digest it's meal in peace. I have a 2 yr old bredli that I got as a hatching, and I have never been bitten, because I always use a hook to get her out of the tank. With regular, well timed handling, you should have no probs. Good luck!

I think we have all read that before ninapeas, anyone want to mention anything that "hasnt" already mentioned??hahahaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back