Help...Need an ID on Elapid

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan.c

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what type of snake this is?? A mate saw it at his house the other day and was just interested what was crawling around the backyard....

Only 20cm tops... orange markings on head as you can see... pink belly... and pink to red flecks in scales..... orange to red tip of tail....

im good with pythons but not with elapids.... well i think its an elapid

Cheers
Nath

Attachments

• Matt snake.jpg
    Matt snake.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 560
Bit fuzzy and I have old eyes but it looks like a white crowned snake, Cacophis Harriettae.

i think its a golden-crowned snake...where abouts u situated?

White-crowned snake

Cacophis harrietae
Like secretive people, some animals prefer the night because it lets them operate under cover of darkness.
One such secretive slitherer is the white-crowned snake. This snake spends its days hiding under leaves and other ground debris, but come night it's out looking for food - mainly little lizard snacks.
White-crowned snakes can grow to 40cm and are venomous but not classed as dangerous. When threatened, they will defend themselves with thrashing strikes, but this is basically just show, for they rarely try to bite.
White-crowned snakes are dark brown or steely grey with a white or yellowish stripe across their neck. They prefer damp places, so be alert for them under logs, rocks and sometimes even compost bins. They're found from around Rockhampton in Queensland to north-eastern New South Wales.

Attachments

• white_crown_snake.gif
    white_crown_snake.gif
    13 KB · Views: 998
lol but there is still a risk. it doesnt say the venom doesnt have much punch it just says they rarely try to bite.

like the quote but have to say im one of those people that have been chaced
up at king lake. i was about 9 and thew a stick at it (i will always regret it)
it chased and it did catch me but lucky i was wearing bumboots and the fangs penitrated the boot but not my leg. wasnt a fun experience but i learnt not to throw sticks at snakes lol

like the quote but have to say im one of those people that have been chaced
up at king lake. i was about 9 and thew a stick at it (i will always regret it)
it chased and it did catch me but lucky i was wearing bumboots and the fangs penitrated the boot but not my leg. wasnt a fun experience but i learnt not to throw sticks at snakes lol

Serves you right!!! :lol: :lol:

I hope your mate let it go after the pics were taken.
The crap in the corner of the tank ? does that belong to the golden crowned snake?
Beautiful snakes but they will stress out if you keep them to long.
Will get to about 75 cm if you let him.
Bite is like a itchy bee sting...To bad if you are allergic.

I have had a few of these over the last few years and i to think it is golden crowned all the white crowned sankes i have found have been more like the other pic where the crown completely covers the nape and the white is definate white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back