sexing probe discussion

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dude_joel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
gday everyone,
how does one work a sexing probe?
how successful are they?
is there anyone here that has some experience and can give advice?
how safe are they?
etc... im interested in learning about them and this seems to be the best way to go about it.

probes work on how deep they probe is how you determine the sex different sexes and species probe to different depths
ect

morelia spilota imbricata - females 3-5 subcaudal scales males 9-14 subcaudal scales

just remember to lube the probes well and be gentle..... also if a snake is stressed and highly strung it can have an effect on how acurate the probing is

would be great if someone posts some pics of how to probe as well

No offence but learning to probe by text over the internet is far from the best way to go about it. You would be best off going to a Herp vet or experienced keeper and having them show you.

But for the time being:
PROBING [video=youtube;MJQ69oeqdPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJQ69oeqdPI[/video]
POPPING [video=youtube;BJ1g_kv_jko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ1g_kv_jko&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
I recently assisted (more just did what I was told) a very experienced snake breeder in sexing my woma juvies. It looked quite easy - but usually the easier things look the harder they actually are. I've met a charming young lady who recently shifted to Alice Springs who is an experienced snake keeper/breeder and she also probes snakes. I might ask her to show me how to do it properly.

Dude_Joel, if done be someone who knows what they are doing, probing is extremely accurate and safe.

can probing be done on lizards? for example, blue tongues
is xray a possibility for sexing lizards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back