Turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
deadflesh wants the point of asking a question if your sarcastic in your response to someone trying to help you.

What species is it?
You have been offered advice to two people with a wealth of knowledge. If you choose to ignore it because of your ego it negates your whole reason for taking it in the first place.
I know Michael is unmovable on his opposition to turtle fast foods but his animals are immaculate. I send hard cases to him because of his unswerving attitude.

as said, ditch the turtle dinner, it contains red meat which will just cause other health problems for the little guy, use freshwater fish, prawns, shrimp, yabbies any mussels. Never feed it any marine species as our fresh water turtles(one exception) cant process salt.

deadflesh wants the point of asking a question if your sarcastic in your response to someone trying to help you.

I wasn't being sarcastic......

And I'm not understanding how you perceived that I was.

Because I wasn't.

Yeah, I'm with you Gillsy. I thought a simple "Thanks for your help, Michael" would have been much nicer.

I am thankful for your concern, but I cannot see where I said that I had a problem.... I didn't have problems to be solved, the previous owner did and I have not encountered any problem with providing for the little guy.

as said, ditch the turtle dinner, it contains red meat which will just cause other health problems for the little guy, use freshwater fish, prawns, shrimp, yabbies any mussels. Never feed it any marine species as our fresh water turtles(one exception) cant process salt.

Yep. I read that and don't plan on buying him any.... I have bought him pellets and live guppys, the frozen meal dinner was what the previous owner had left me, and while I was cleaning out his tank at location that was all there was to give the starving thing... better than nothing, and it helped calm him down from the stress of the whole ordeal.

Of course I will not use marine foods, these guys are local to my area, so I'm sticking to that regime.

What species is it?
You have been offered advice to two people with a wealth of knowledge. If you choose to ignore it because of your ego it negates your whole reason for taking it in the first place.
I know Michael is unmovable on his opposition to turtle fast foods but his animals are immaculate. I send hard cases to him because of his unswerving attitude.

What?!

Where have I ignored advice?

The species is a Krefft's short-neck turtle... for the second time, if you had read the whole forum you would have known that.

Ok, so after I had him out in the sun for a while yesterday afternoon I noticed that his shell dries really quickly (within the space of 5 mins... I had to keep refreshing him because I was worried about it) and has very small scratch like marks. Is this the first sign of shell rot? Or is there some sort of shell conditioner he needs? Because I gather that he hadn't been out of water for the whole 8 years of his life and had certainly not seen the sun.

What species is it?
because of your ego it negates your whole reason for taking it in the first place.

You know what...
Not everything that goes on with the turtle is posted, so you have no right to either assume or criticize me.

I don't care for your response simply because this turtle most definitely was left for dead, and more than certainly would have been dead by the time the previous owner returned from interstate.

I am spending what little money I have to rescue and provide for this guy as best as possible. The life of a university student isn't high rolling and I am leaving myself broke just so this little guy can get some better years to his life.

The next time you start criticizing, give it a good think, go back read, and then post.

Pictures will be ready this afternoon - I'm going to take a photo of where he was, as I am going back to location to feed the cats again.

Here's the photos.

1. Size comparing to a guitar pick.
2. Turtle side - level.
3. Location turtle was taken from.
4. Turtle from side/above.

Attachments

• Camera 114.jpg
    Camera 114.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Camera 110.jpg
    Camera 110.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Camera 126.jpg
    Camera 126.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Camera 112.jpg
    Camera 112.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 71
Well done Deadflesh, great pics.
It even looks like its smiling in the 2nd pic.
At least now it will get the right care.

Well done Deadflesh, great pics.
It even looks like its smiling in the 2nd pic.
At least now it will get the right care.

Thanks, yeah... I have a lot more pics of him where he looks like he has a great big grin.

He's a cheeky lil' bugger, every time I take him out he loves to go for a stroll, and he has gone from being completely terrified when I first saw him to very enthusiastic about life and hardly even flinching when I get him out for his afternoon sun...

Ok, so after I had him out in the sun for a while yesterday afternoon I noticed that his shell dries really quickly (within the space of 5 mins... I had to keep refreshing him because I was worried about it) and has very small scratch like marks. Is this the first sign of shell rot? Or is there some sort of shell conditioner he needs? Because I gather that he hadn't been out of water for the whole 8 years of his life and had certainly not seen the sun.

Can you explain a bit more about the problem with how fast its shell dries?

They bask out of the water in the wild for extended periods with their shell dry
i would expect it to be dry within minutes of leaving the water, so really sounds
fine to me.

Hi Deadflesh,
Great to see that you are concerned with the turtle's health. There is a caresheet located at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~expansa1/ that may be of assistance to you.

To be perfectly honest, the turtle looks in top condition from what I've seen in the photo's and there is nothing to worry about as far as the tiny scratches on it's shell or shell rot at all. Can you take a pic of it's plastron (underside) and tail for me and post it?

Just one other question, do the EPA know that you have taken someone's turtle that you believe weren't looking after it as they were meant to be? You may be leaving yourself open to a lawsuit (which you may not be able to afford) for taking the turtle. Agencies like the R.S.P.C.A or EPA/QPWS/ ECOACCESS are the only ones in QLD that have the power to take a reptile from someone without being charged for stealing.

Also, if you are having difficulty with finances etc, best to contact a carer or association with the financial backing and long term experience to help with your situation and look after the turtle.

Kind regards,

Craig

Australian Freshwater Turtle Conservation & Research Association
www.aftcra.org.au

"Just one other question, do the EPA know that you have taken someone's turtle that you believe weren't looking after it as they were meant to be? You may be leaving yourself open to a lawsuit (which you may not be able to afford) for taking the turtle. Agencies like the R.S.P.C.A or EPA/QPWS/ ECOACCESS are the only ones in QLD that have the power to take a reptile from someone without being charged for stealing"

I forgot to mention the Police and NRM&W (Natural resources Mines and Water) also have to authority to seize your reptiles although NRM&W have more power than the Police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back