Cats vs rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had an oppurtunity to feed an unowned kitten...would you?

• NO WAY!

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 52 63.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will sound weird, but I'd be paranoid about diseases.

I know someone said about freezing them for 6 weeks... But feral cats are nasty...lol Plus I have a pet cat... So I guess my heart would tell me no...

Do mice have to be frozen for 6 weeks also?

I really wouldn't have a problem with someone else doing it with their pythons tho.

but I guess like Austy said...if we could by them pre frozen then I'd get over the cute factor...lol

I don't see the problem with it ethically, people keep rats and mice as pets so what is the difference. I would however be a bit concerned about disease and parasites as previously mentioned.

I would have a problem with people stealing the little kids from next doors pet, or being cruel to the cat before killing it.

If people can breed rats, guinea pigs etc etc as food why shouldn't someone breed cats for the same purpose? I understand it may not be everybodies cup of tea, but I am not seeing any reason why not.

Having said that, personally I am to lazy and would rather just go to the reptile shop 5 minutes up the road and buy my snake food already killed and frozen, but then I only have one MD and possibly another in the next few days so its not like I have to keep up a constant supply of food.

I said it before and i'll say it again, I can't wait to feed my snakes a feed of cat. Good old aussie justice.
Freezing kills the parasites but not any poison that they may have ingested ie. rats or mice that ate rodent bait, so that could be a problem, But if you are sure they are all organic then fill your freezer!.
I'd rather feed them cats then rabbits.

Its illegal to kill any cat, dog or anything domestic unless you have the needs and have the legal documents to do it.

In my area we get alot of surrendered kittens that are unwanted pets. Is it ok if I gas them after I've finished playing with them and then feed them to my bigger pythons?

I mean it's recycling isn't it?

I wonder how DCH Animal Adoptions feels about this!
I don't agree with It, Is the rat population dwindling??

besides why would you rather feed rabits?rabits are pest everywhere. farmers cant get rid of them. there are way more feral diseased rabits than cats. the only reasons theres too many cats going stray is because people buy things when they dont know how to look after it(half of them dont even feed themselves properly). so why kill cats for the pleasure of your snake?its not a usual food source in the wild duhhh

rabbits are just as bad , under the circumstances I agree as long as the kittens wont harm your snake go for it , I am a cat owner but am realistic to dont get up the people that suggest kittens for feed GET UP THE USELESS HUMANS THAT ALLOW CATS TO BREED OUT OF CONTROL that is where the buck stops ..Tat i would do it without a blink of a eye and I own 3 cats so i am not a cat hater...

rabbits are introduced too as the rat that is fed ,come on be real why is it an animal that squeeks has less right in your eyes then one that meows?

whoops, my bad :rolleyes: I put NO WAY, and it was meant o be YES!
I didn't read the Q right

I agree with a few others, if the owners don't care, the animals are FARE GAME!!

Cats are an introduced domestic pet animal that decimate protected native wildlife. Cats don't have native animal protection. If I catch one in my yard I can do what I want with it.
But the answer to the original question is yes, it is ok and it is recycling and it is doing Australia and its natives a favour.

whats the difference between feeding a cat and a rat? i cant see one, just a bigger feed.

I'm with you cement! These non native ferals are murdering out natives at an incredible rate! Think about how much and often ppl feed thier cats? When then aint eatin wiskers what do u think they are eating? Lizards, birds, our beloved snakes! ALL CATS should be kept indoors!
Save a wild snake.... Feed a feral cat to your captive!

If I catch one in my yard I can do what I want with it.

If what you meant is to be cruel to it, no you cant.

It would still fall under animal cruelty and you would get a hefty fine if they caught you..

Dead set no against it aswell.

A percent of people fall under a worse category than cats. Its in a cats nature to hunt, they cant help it, and it happens to not be their fault either that there are feral cats. Once again, it all falls down to human fault. Some people are just plain reckless with no respect for wildlife, and would kill animals just for the sake of it, with no real valid reason. Does that mean I can steal all their babies to feed to a scrubby. :rolleyes::twisted:

mmmm id be delighted to feed cats to my snakes,justice is served

(freeze them for six weeks of corse first)

Where do you draw the line? Kittens, puppies.... As a responsible cat owner, I shudder at the thought of ever feeding one of my much loved animals to a snake. I have bred rats and quail for snake food however so I'm probably somewhat of a hypocrite. Do whatever your conscious allows, but give whatever you do serious thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back