Mmmmmmm....Roooooooooo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case anyone else was wondering.... :D

State Faunal (Animal) Emblems:

Victoria: Leadbeaters Possum

New South Wales: Platypus

Queensland: Koala

South Australia: Hairy-Nosed Wombat

Western Australia: Numbat

Tasmania: Tasmanian Devil

Note: The state of Tasmania does not have an official faunal emblem.

Northern Territory: Red Kangaroo

State Faunal (Bird) Emblems:

Victoria: Helmeted Honeyeater

New South Wales: Kookaburra

Queensland: Brolga

South Australia: Piping Shrike

Western Australia: Black Swan

Tasmania: Note: The state of Tasmania does not have an official faunal emblem.

Northern Territory: Wedge Tailed Eagle

feel free to come and kill our wild cat popluation anytime you want!!! Little buggers are breeding like wild fire and killing even quicker, they would be goog food for any snake. They are one animal that realy needs controlling and kulling

Hmmm, thats sad, especially after a day of helping out with the joeys at the shelter i help at.
I guess it would have been eaten by a fox or crow or something if it had been left in a paddock to die.
Not something i would feed my snakes.

I wish people spent as much time culling cane toads as they do hunting roos, rabbits, foxs, pigs & goats.

Sorry, maybe i should have said coat of arms. I have no problem with people eating any animal, or using them for food for other animals as long as killing is humane and there is a sustainable population. Kangaroos are overpopulated in many areas. I didn't say that the eating the animals form the emblem was gospel, just what i'd heard :)

Beef or bacon, most people on earth eat that. Killing a Roo. To far.

The supermarket shelves all have kangaroo on them these days trouser , it makes good sense
environmentally , it's quite low in fat & tastes great in a caserole.

MY veiw is....

I don't care what anyone feeds their snakes, so long as it don't a quick death and you are not just doing to get your own kicks. :)

*just in case anyone was wondering what my veiw is... you can stop wondering now :D*

Ok this is slightly of topic but brings things into perspective.

Where I work we have people from the Philippines now where they come from they eat dog for special occasions, now these guys also admit into going to the pound once evey couple of months to bring home a dog to slaughter and eat (no this is not a joke),

Now been me i thought this would be illegal so during work i did some research as to this practice is allowed and this is what i found

In all states of Australia, it's against the law to slaughter an animal in your backyard for food.
But there are exceptions of course.
It's legal if you're a farmer. Or if the animal happens to be a dog or a cat.

Link to the statement http://www.abc.net.au/pm/stories/s697378.htm

As you can see this happens to be a big concern for the RSPCA who want this changed, but in saying this if its ok for this practice to exist why should it be such a concern to kill (done humanely) wild un-domesticated animals that are in or starting to become plague proportions as long as its not just for sport and has a practical use for the dead carcass.

Beef or bacon, most people on earth eat that. Killing a Roo. To far.
There should be no difference what the animal looks like on the outside, it doesnt matter... Anyway, they killed roo's because they're pests in some areas...and you can get roo catfood to...its a good food source when you can't get rabbits etc

Hmmm, thats sad, especially after a day of helping out with the joeys at the shelter i help at.
I guess it would have been eaten by a fox or crow or something if it had been left in a paddock to die.
Not something i would feed my snakes.

I said that stuff earlier, But I agree with Koubee and I wouldnt feed my snake a Joey, i'd help it, get it up to good health again.

people do spend heaps of time hunting cane toads. i personally spend a large amount of time hunting cats. i trapped and destroyed 13 last week alone, and 4 the week before. un fortunately people seem to give roo culling far more attention.
as far as im concerned, any cat out on the street at night, or left to find its own food by its owners, shouldnt be around and is fare game for trapping and destroying. the owners of these cats should also be subject to bans on keeping animals, large fines and imprisonment. maybee cat owners should require the same licensing as herp owners?

I said that stuff earlier, But I agree with Koubee and I wouldnt feed my snake a Joey, i'd help it, get it up to good health again.

have you ever seen a mob of 4000 roos mate? how about 4000 roos with nothing to eat? what would you do with these?

There is no reason not to eat roo, it has en extremely low level of fat, it is at plague numbers in some areas, it is a much more sustainable animal to farm in terms of erosion, and it tastes absolutely wonderful!

quite simply in some areas there would be more roo's now than before european settlement. due to bush being cleared and replaced with pasture. look at flinders island for instance and the wallaby population there. before settlement there was hardly any but as soon as bush was replaced with pasture their numbers exploded.and their only predator there really is humans.so really there is absoloutely nothing wrong with using roos for meat and skins as long as their numbers are monitored to ensure too many arent taken.

im not trying to start an arguement here but i would like to give my opinion... to those of you who expressed distaste, disgust, or a general negative sentiment to the thought of using roos as a food source, i say shame. please do your research before you feel it necessary to criticise others for their actions. roo is a highly sustainable meat source and if it weren't for the drastic OVERPOPULATION (due to human intervention of increasing their food source of grasslands by cutting down forests for grazing) they do very little it not no damage to the environment. on the other hand im sure you dont even think about the drastic damage caused to our environment when we attempt to produce BEEF. really people, its the most unsustainable meat source there is. and anyway, why bother expressing a dislike for the killing of one particular type of animal over another? is it because roos are cute and cuddly and cattle, well, arent? have you see what they do to newborn calves in order to produce veal? if you dont, find out. and how is using a joey any different to using mice/rats/rabbits as a food source for you pet pythons? i used to keep rabbits as pets, and would if they werent illegal in queensland, but that wouldnt stop me from purchasing rabbit meat to feed my pythons. hypocricy is possibly the worst of human traits, that and ignorance.

Really if people are so concerned about preserving the aussie landscape, we should get rid of the sheep, cows deer horses etc and breed native animals for the meat, as we all know the land is being destroyed more from heavy grazing, hard hooved animals compacting the soil and destroying our rivers and lakes.
Besides a kangaroo is not much different than a giant rat. How can you feel sorry for a joey but not feel bad about feeding a pinky rat to a snake? All the same really....

Ha ha! While i was busy typing that my new little BHP escaped and was climbing on the DVD player. Woops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back