Turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the photos.

1. Size comparing to a guitar pick.
2. Turtle side - level.
3. Location turtle was taken from.
4. Turtle from side/above.

Good to see you're saving a turtles life, if i was a turtle i'd hate to be living at the previous location.

Hi Deadflesh,
Great to see that you are concerned with the turtle's health. There is a caresheet located at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~expansa1/ that may be of assistance to you.

To be perfectly honest, the turtle looks in top condition from what I've seen in the photo's and there is nothing to worry about as far as the tiny scratches on it's shell or shell rot at all. Can you take a pic of it's plastron (underside) and tail for me and post it?

Just one other question, do the EPA know that you have taken someone's turtle that you believe weren't looking after it as they were meant to be? You may be leaving yourself open to a lawsuit (which you may not be able to afford) for taking the turtle. Agencies like the R.S.P.C.A or EPA/QPWS/ ECOACCESS are the only ones in QLD that have the power to take a reptile from someone without being charged for stealing.

Also, if you are having difficulty with finances etc, best to contact a carer or association with the financial backing and long term experience to help with your situation and look after the turtle.

Kind regards,

Craig

Australian Freshwater Turtle Conservation & Research Association
www.aftcra.org.au

I'll take a photo of his underside for you tomorrow, when I have him out for his afternoon sun.

The turtle was practically given to me as soon as I had inquired about how he was (I had known there was a turtle but had not seen it for more than a year) and in the last year his husbandry had decreased more than expected. I knew that the turtle wasn't being treated as they are supposed to be - but I didn't know what actions I could take as the extent wasn't that extreme at that point in time, soon drifted from my mind, until recently when I heard that the previous owner was going interstate, and I decided to ask what was up with the turtle (which was very lucky, because I'd say he had less than a week left in him).

It's not that I don't have money to care for him; because I've got him a UVA, UVB light, tonnes of plant and rock life, a log, guppys and turtle pellets - it's just that I had made myself broke and had to make personal sacrifices and luxuries setting it all up for him, and I wasn't appreciating the disapproval of my actions (saving the turtle in the first place) that I had received from another user - who stated that my ego negated the reason for taking the turtle.

Sorry if there's a tonne of spelling mistakes - my damned kitten keeps jumping on my keyboard. :x

And thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

- Chantelle

(which was very lucky, because I'd say he had less than a week left in him).

Hi Chantelle,
Glad to hear all is above board and you've 'opened your heart up' for the turtle and have taken him/her in.
Just out of curiosity, why did you mention that it only had a week left in him?

Turtles don't need to eat this time of year if kept outside as water temps have dropped enough to slow their metabolism down. As mentioned before, the turtle is in good condition and is in no way skinny (very badly starved turtles like the one in the pic below show the skull under the surface of the skin). If the skull or vertebrae in the neck cannot be seen clearly then there is definitely no problems with a lack of nourishment or being too skinny. There were no signs of it being malnourished, no signs of skin infections, eye infections, shell rot or any other ailments typical of neglected turtles so I was wondering why you thought that it only had a week left in it?
DSCN00054-2.jpg

Also, have you kept turtles for long?

Cheers,

Craig
ps This is a turtle that I rescued once and brought back from the brink of death. It didn't even have the strength to lift it's head and neck up.

I'd say that turtle in the photo doesn't even have a week in him.

Like I said earlier - he improved dramatically within the day of rescue - he couldn't swim, and the hollows of his legs were more than 2 inches deep.

I had taken those photos about 3 or 4 days after I saved him; and his condition was at least 65% better there.

When I got him, his upper legs were so thin, and you could see it was a struggle for him to work them, but the improvement is more than dramatic. His neck was also a lot thinner. I mean; I don't know how long a turtle can last in the cold water without being able to come out and bask (and the location was colder than normal outside temps due to cementing) or without food (because he certainly didn't get the way he and his tank was within the last few weeks of cold weather), but I estimated his inner condition by calculating from the hollows of his legs (which are now about half inch deep, which I think is a lot better). He loves swimming now that he has the strength, I had to slowly increase his water level over a few days because all he could do was walk along the bottom, but once I saw him swimming a little, I increased it more, and he loves it - his upper legs are a lot thicker now. I'd say he has made at least a 95% improvement. And surely any longer in the enclosure he was in he would have developed some sort of infection and I'm relieved to see he hasn't. My boyfriend (who was with me at location) was shocked to see he had no infection either... I mean, it was absolutely rancid.

Also from the condition of the cats on location (who were located in a nicer place) I'd say the turtle was receiving less attention than even the cats - and I was scared at seeing the cats condition (one cat in particular had every single rib bone exposed - absolutely emaciated).

Even the fact that the previous owner pretty much told me to take him is an indicator.

Though he may of had more than a week in him now looking at the photo you have supplied - I'd much prefer that he didn't get to that stage. His recovery took less than a week, and I'm sure if I had the camera with me at the day and place of rescue (but my boyfriends dad had it on a trip to Mackay), you'd be quite shocked to see how much he has improved... I know I am!

But certainly - that is a bad looking turtle, I'd I'm interested to see how he progressed?

Oh, and p.s. I haven't owned any other turtles at all (otherwise I wouldn't of posted this forum for turtle information).

Deadflesh,

I've been keeping, rescuing and rehabilitating turtles for, ummm, a little while now... and what you claim simply defies logic.

Firstly, turtles do not make dramatic improvements within day of rescue. They make gradual improvements over weeks or months.

Secondly, turtles take about 4 weeks to digest a meal. So to claim that this turtle fully digested a meal and converted it to body mass, thereby decreasing the depth of its limb pockets from 2 inches to half an inch, all within a week, is ludicrous.

If the limb pockets have had such a dramatic change in the space of a week, it is because the food you have given the turtle has caused it to be bloated. The change is due to a massive build up of gas, not to be confused with an improvement in the turtle's health.

Like Craig, I too looked at the photos you posted. They show a healthy looking turtle. A turtle that has been in good condition for a long period of time.

What did you think of Craig's Caresheet?

Regards,
Michael.

I have people that can vouch for me how mistreated that turtle was, you can not simply defy what I have stated simply because you do not believe based on his condition after 3 or 4 days.

Look, you're all telling me, Oh no, dont feed a turtle frozen dinners, oh no a turtle desperately needs sunlight, oh no a turtle needs this food, oh no a turtle needs to do this....

EVERYTHING that members have said a turtle needs was not provided!

He couldn't leave the water.
The water was too shallow.
His tank was cluttered with household ornaments.
He had no way of receiving ANY UV or heat.
His enclosure was absolutely rancid with black algae, complete with a tonne of shed scales and shell.
There was a large screw and a five cent piece in his tank.
There was many many spiderwebs climbing up the tank.

Look if you call that a turtle that has been treated well, then I'll take him back, I'll tell the previous owner "Look, you can have him back, this person says he was well looked after, keep doing what your doin' and don't worry about it".

If you're saying I'm doing the wrong thing by providing this turtle with everything that has been suggested, then fine...

Oh and I did read the care sheet.
Did you?
Because you say it takes 4 weeks to digest and Craig states 1 - 2 weeks.
Don't tell me to read something you haven't even read yourself
I had read all the information provided and the same information was provided by Mr.Destiny at the very start of this forum.

I didn't state it was body mass - it means his stomache isn't [deleted by Mods]empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that turtle in the photo doesn't even have a week in him.

Like I said earlier - he improved dramatically within the day of rescue - he couldn't swim, and the hollows of his legs were more than 2 inches deep.

Chantelle, what you are referring to are the turtles limb pockets and they are not an indicator of whether the turtle is underweight but overweight. You see, a normal, healthy turtle has these limb pockets for it's legs to fit into. Also, through these limb pockets you can see a turtle breathing as they use muscles to breathe unlike us that have lungs maintained at a positive pressure and find it relatively easy to breathe. You can also tell if a female turtle is gravid by palpating in the rear limb pockets and feeling for eggs. A fat, unhealthy turtle doesn't have limb pockets and instead of being concave like the turtle you rescued, they are convex.

The turtle that you mentioned would only last a week, would have easily lasted 3 months at least, even without food especially this time of year! A turtle will not put on weight within a week like you are suggesting. Their metabolism is much, much slower than that!
As previously mentioned, the turtle was in perfect health and although wasn't kept in prime conditions when you found him, had obviously been well looked after up until now.

Regards,

Craig

Great, so we've established that the turt is ok, is he/she on license? just one more thing for you to think about. :)

as craig said that turtle is in perfect health, just wasnt kept in the greatest conditions which shows the owners didnt really have the interest in it anymore but definatly wasnt neglected.

He was neglected.
Have you talked to the owner about the turtle? No.
I have. Exactly. The turtle and the cats were all neglected.

The upper limb pockets are right near the intestines.

from the pics he looks to be in top shape, as said its not gonna have much improvement in 4 days. Maybe neglect was the worng word to use, yes it may have been neglected but still healthy.

A turtle will not put on weight within a week like you are suggesting. Their metabolism is much, much slower than that!

As previously mentioned, the turtle was in perfect health and although wasn't kept in prime conditions when you found him, had obviously been well looked after up until now.

Regards,

Craig

1. I didn't say he has put on weight I said his hollows aren't 2 inches deep... which they were because I was mortified about it.

2. I had mentioned that I had seen the turtle a year earlier - and the only differences between then and now are: his water level was higher, the turtle was smaller, he was located upstairs - and was receiving about 5 turtle pellets once every 3-5 days. He did not have a dock, no UV, no varied diet, no heating.

I don't know what someone has to do for a turtle to get in the condition that turtle pictured was... because I know for a damned well fact that this turtle was not receiving he proper attention and care.

Look if its damned well necessary, I'll get statements from witnesses, the owner, whatever.

from the pics he looks to be in top shape, as said its not gonna have much improvement in 4 days. Maybe neglect was the worng word to use, yes it may have been neglected but still healthy.

I didn't say that he wasn't healthy - I said I was shocked to see that he had no infections, etc,

Just observing him then, I noticed he has two small dark red dots on his skin near his shell, located above his upper right limb...

I'll try to get a photo, but any suggestions?

I tried to get a picture with my phone, but it didnt work out - I'll have to wait till tomorrow, with a proper camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back