should cats be under license?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dude_joel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
originally posted by hix, what does everyone think about wild (and not so wild) cats?

This thread has had it's day, posts are now off-topic and we're talking about cats again.

Subject closed.

:p

Hix

Last edited by a moderator:
I think anyone wanting to own a pet should have to prove they can take care of it and get a license

originally posted by hix, what does everyone think about wild (and not so wild) cats?

Bring it on......

Of course it is logical that I need to be licensed and regulated to keep domesticated reptiles, while a cat (or other pest species in the Australian context) can be legally owned by anyone to roam free.

Free world it'snt it?

All kittens should be desexed, and the breeders licenced to sell the kittens. Bump the price to $200+ a cat and then there wont be as many irresponsible cat owners.

Good for large pythons.....

I am not the greatest cat lover especally as I have gotten older and realise what damage they do. That said we have aquired two of them (desexed by our vet) and I tell my girls to wait till my hatchie grows up, my son loves hearing that-they don't. Then I assure them I am just teasing, yeh..just teasing...mmm.:?

I am not sure if licensing cats is the answer – cats, dogs and some birds are “accepted” pets. I say “accepted” because RSPCA (One of the largest animal groups in Australia) really ONLY caters for those three animals. As such there are so many out there in Suburb land it is practically impossible to enforce.

I am more for keeping cats indoors/locked up or on leash 24 hours a day. To enforce – set up shelters that take Humanly trapped cats – euthanasia the un-registered (Non-micro tagged/registered) and fine the owner (Starting at a nominal fine of say $20) for letting their registered cat out.

You will find there will be people who will happily humanly trap cats in their back yard any time of the day or night and put them into the scheme. Just look on this board.

I have a question for you all – Are cats native to Australia? Please define native before you answer the question….

What are the cats like in New York? Are they as much of a problem over there?

I couldn't believe it the other day driving accross the HAY PLAINS, in the middle of absolutley no-where, and theres a big feral cat on the road! I was really blown away. I don't think most people realise how bad a problem they are.

I am not the greatest cat lover especally as I have gotten older and realise what damage they do. That said we have aquired two of them (desexed by our vet) and I tell my girls to wait till my hatchie grows up, my son loves hearing that-they don't. Then I assure them I am just teasing, yeh..just teasing...mmm.:?

They would be good for snake food they are mamals just like mice and rats so why not feed them to your snake,

Cats Should have to be registed and treated the same as dogs and any ferrals should be put down

I 100% agree with you.

Back to my question: Are cats native to Australia?

Before you answer define what you mean by native.

i was staying on a small property near melbourne a few weeks ago. one morning i looked out the back window and could see 8 cats. i also was walking along a creek, some distance from the house, and finding numerous cats, not even trying to hide themselves.
the problem is there and definitely needs something done about it. suburban trapping would be a great start, with near immediate euthanising, apart from registered cats, where decent fine would be appropriate. $20 dollars means nothing to most people and wouldn't change the situation. maybe $150 fine would be fare, as a first offence penalty.
maybe a license similar to a drivers license would be appropriate. eg, start with 12 points, first offense you loose 2 points, second you loose 4, third you loose 6, and your right to own cats for up to 3 years, etc. this kind of licensing would also work for animal abuse etc.

native
adj 1: being such by origin; "the native North American sugar
maple"; "many native artists studied abroad" [ant: foreign]
2: belonging to one by birth; "my native land"; "one's native
language" [ant: adopted]
3: being or composed of people inhabiting a region from the
beginning; "native Americans"; "the aboriginal peoples of
Australia" [syn: aboriginal] [ant: nonnative]
4: as found in nature in the elemental form; "native copper"
5: normally existing at birth; "mankind's connatural sense of
the good" [syn: connatural, inborn, inbred]
n : a person who was born in a particular place; an indigenous
person [syn: indigen, indigene]

short answer, no, cats arent native. the only statements that apply to cats in australia are,

3: being or composed of people inhabiting a region from the
beginning; "native Americans"; "the aboriginal peoples of
Australia" [syn: aboriginal] [ant: nonnative]

and

1: being such by origin; "the native North American sugar
maple"; "many native artists studied abroad" [ant: foreign]

Dude Joel - I agree $20 does not mean much - but - to make keeping cats locked up/on lead 24x7 acceptable one has to start soft and once accepted increase the fine over time.

Having a point system is a great idea – But how would you enforce it? Here is a typical scenario:
I have a pet cat – it gets caught over the fence eating a bird – I loose all my points and right to register a cat under my name… I then get my room mate or someone else living at the same address to register the cat under their name. I still have the cat and it is still killing. I think just fine people – after a while they will get the message.

Cats may be as native to Australia as the Dingo – there is a lot of evidence cats were on the mainland well before the first fleet (1788). There is speculation they arrived via European ship wrecks or explorers. Looking at where cats fit into the indigenous culture - cats may have come to Australia much earlier.

You didn't answer my question Miss_Croft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back