should cats be under license?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jozz
Like anywhere there are rats/mice – there are human introduced cats– Cats are a problem – there are groups who count and control the feral population. I personally do not see many feral cats like the ones reported in Australia – but often do see cats while walking to the office along Houston Street. I sometimes (may be once a year) see chewing on a bird or rat in Central Park. But most I see are someone’s pet cats.
Also note cats are native to the US – we have many species of wild cats like Bobcats/Puma and our animals are use to them. These larger cats also prey on the smaller domestic cats controlling them in the parks. I don’t think Australia has any cat predators and as a result – each generation domestic cats become larger (island effect).

The biggest issue to animals here in the US is habitat destruction (Development such as paving over hibernating tortoises) and the introduction of exotic diseases and parasites from pet populations.

You can find some more information on The Feral Cats database here
http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/

Cats may be as native to Australia as the Dingo – there is a lot of evidence cats were on the mainland well before the first fleet (1788). There is speculation they arrived via European ship wrecks or explorers. Looking at where cats fit into the indigenous culture - cats may have come to Australia much earlier.

How long does it take before you consider something native then???
Also dogs were apparently the first species to be domesticated by humans 15,000 years ago in Asia, & they say cats were about 9500-10,000 years ago in the middle east (much further away), so would it be a fair assumption to assume that dingoes made it over first ? (or is that what yer saying?):?

Wiki doesnt consider the cat to be a native,

The African Wildcat (Felis sylvestris lybica), ancestor of the domestic cat, is believed to have evolved in a desert climate, as evident in the behavior common to both the domestic and wild forms. Wildcats (Felis sylvestris) are native to all continents other than Australia and Antarctica, although feral cats have become apex predators in the Australian Outback where they are menaces to wildlife

Last edited:
Moreliaman - All I am saying is cats may be as “native” as dingo - In Australia before Captain James Cook’s mapping of the Australian East Cost and the historians are unsure as to who or how the domestic cat arrived in Australia.

Some say they came in the first fleet
Some say European shipwrecks
Some say explorers
Or even via trade with South East Asia (some time after 11th century)

There is also evidence for at least two pre Captain Cook European settlements c. 1650 (on in South Australia and the second inland North Western Australia). My understanding of native (Australian definition) was pre Captain Cook – That was to include the dingo.

Anyways just food for thought.

Jozz
Like anywhere there are rats/mice – there are human introduced cats– Cats are a problem – there are groups who count and control the feral population. I personally do not see many feral cats like the ones reported in Australia – but often do see cats while walking to the office along Houston Street. I sometimes (may be once a year) see chewing on a bird or rat in Central Park. But most I see are someone’s pet cats.

There is a Houston st and Central park in Victoria, Australia?

Also note cats are native to the US – we have many species of wild cats like Bobcats/Puma and our animals are use to them. These larger cats also prey on the smaller domestic cats controlling them in the parks. I don’t think Australia has any cat predators and as a result – each generation domestic cats become larger (island effect).

There is NO way "larger" cats are controling smaller domestic cats in North American parks, thats just not happening, for a start native cat numbers are over all very low.
Raccoons and Coyotes would be eating more domestic cats in North America than all other predators combined both species are very common and dont shy away from the suburban populations in North America., just my opinion from what ive seen.

The biggest issue to animals here in the US is habitat destruction (Development such as paving over hibernating tortoises) and the introduction of exotic diseases and parasites from pet populations.

Habitat destruction is no bigger threat to wild life in the US than it is in Australia, its a global problem.

Cats may be as native to Australia as the Dingo – there is a lot of evidence cats were on the mainland well before the first fleet (1788). There is speculation they arrived via European ship wrecks or explorers. Looking at where cats fit into the indigenous culture - cats may have come to Australia much earlier.

Hmmm dingos have been in Australia for several thousand years, and cats maybe a few hundred? I must of missed all the rock painting of cats.

I think anyone wanting to own a pet should have to prove they can take care of it and get a license

Interesting point..........especially seeing as its so simple to get a licence for reptiles. Unforunately it aint going to work. What proof did you show when you get your licence??????

written test on caring for the animal maybe

IMO cats should be licenced just the same as dogs and if found outside the owners property impounded. I mean seriously why do you need a licence for a dog but not one for a cat? It would actually be easier for animal control to round up the strays as for cats you can just use a trap. Set the traps at dusk and then pick them up the next morning.

As licencing would include a tag (just like for dogs) then its a simple matter for councils contacting the owner to pay a fine to pick up their pet. Saying it would be too hard is a crock.

If not it gets euthanased just like any other dog or cat with no tags. Whilst this will in no way stop the killing of native wildlife it will definitely cut down the numbers wandering the streets.

At the end of the day it is about people being responsible with their pets and unfortunately the cat owners who are responsible are definitely in the minority. There are far too many cat owners out there who couldn't give a rats if their animals are killing wildlife or what their cats get up to. If they continue getting fines for their animals they may take notice. I catch on average 20 cats a year on my property and give them to animal control.

As far as cats go I take the hard line and believe we shouldn't be able to keep them at all in Oz but that is never going to happen and its probably too late. I would be morbidly happy if a killer virus that only affected felines did the rounds of Oz. I would feel sorry for the people who lost a much loved pet but I would be doing a jig for native wildlife.

we got charged 170 dollars cause our dog had got out meanwhile cats are every where and no one is fined how fare is that

Cats should obviously be strictly regulated and progressively phased out as pets in Australia. They are far more harmful to humans the ecosystem than animals like dogs that currently far more strictly regulated (in most places). Cats shouldnt be allowed to roam freely outside the owners property, they should be kept inside a house, cat cage or failing that a freezer ;)

where i work we have heaps of feral cats, monday morning my boss called me up on top of the plant room to help him clean up the mess the cats had made. Nothing prepared me for what i was going to see(they had been living up there for at least a couple of weeks) there was dead birds every where and a poor bandicoot that had only just bee killed it had been torn up on its back leg and left to rot(the cat didn't even eat it) needless to say the cats were trapped and killed(humanly, not that they deserved that) the feral cat population has boomed and its starting to show around our area! QLD wont allow ferats because they could escape and DEVISTATE our wildlife but hey what the hell lets allow CATS who are cute fluffy little things that wouldnt hurt a fly to roam free with no regulations
WOW what a rant

i really admire cats..i mean look at them from the tip of there nose to the tip of their tails theyre a complete hunting machine..ive heard theyre the only other creature on the planet that "hunt at leisure" us being the other anyways like i say i really like love admire adore and often awwwed by what cats do.....but seriously nahhh i dont think they should be licenced ......CATS SHOULD BE BANNED in austalia ..theyre too good at hunting and like some people dont know when enough is enough they dont.. lol like a w..ker you see fishing he starts catching fish ..lol finaly .....hes soo used to getting nothing, so hes catching and keeps catching ..i.e. 50 salmon later..he talks about it for years " remember that day ..yada yada 50 salmon yada"...who the hell is going to eat 50 salmon i mean at best you might freeze them (might as well buy fish from woolies whatever, frozen sh.t..lol) anyways like that dude cats are kinda the same except its their instincts that drive them to keep hunting when theyve already got soo much stashed they'll never get to it...still lmao youve gotta just love those skillz..right?!?

the question begs tho doesnt it ...ppl like in my scenario ..should they be licenced banned or otherwise??? hahaha take care.

**they had been living up there for at least a couple of weeks) there was dead birds every where and a poor bandicoot that had only just bee killed it had been torn up on its back leg and left to rot(the cat didn't even eat it)** needless to say the cats were trapped and killed(humanly, not that they deserved that)
"humanely" ..im from central qld (in sydney atm) my mate from high school was hired by qld's state forests to kill ferals anything really but cats are the biggest prob by far..he does this by using cat cages baited with the poison called 1080, and also by shooting them...hahaha 1080 read a little on its half life etc ...it is evil. Many cats escape thos cages ..lol go figure , and if theyve consumed ANY 1080 theyre dead, after theyre dead other animals feed on the carcass ..theyre dead...other creature feed on those carcasses theyre dead haha a bird eats a peice of one of them and it dies in a river the fish eat it and theyre dead, crabs eat the fish theyre dead...hahaha read about 1080, with QLD's use of it ..i bet trace elements can be found in reef fish etc lmao..so ban cats 1080 annnnd d..kheads hahaha. Ohh and me from typing anymore today hahaa take care ya all.

** as i suggested in my 1st post ..instincts dont allow them to stop

all animals should be under licence as too many get killed or hurt or even not cared for . its not just cats its dogs as well like i am not talking about the $900 operations like i give my dogs i am talking about the simple worming and vaccinations for both dogs and cats. beside all dog onwers should have to undergo a training course to help prevent 'crazy' dogs you know the ones that bite without warning

Its is actually illegal for a cats owner to allow it outside where it may kill or harm other animals(in qld at least) with a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail. I think it would be great if they actually enforced this law. Feral cats are also a declared pest(qld) which means you are required by law to take all practical measures to eliminate them from your property.

Many cats escape thos cages ..lol go figure , and if theyve consumed ANY 1080 theyre dead, after theyre dead other animals feed on the carcass ..theyre dead...other creature feed on those carcasses theyre dead haha a bird eats a peice of one of them and it dies in a river the fish eat it and theyre dead, crabs eat the fish theyre dead...

This is rubbish, most natives are resistant to 1080 and thats why it is used, it occurs naturally in native plants.

As far as I'm concerned all cat should be shot on site! Pet or not they all kill native animals. I shoot everyone that gets in front of my rifle. Anymore than 12 feet from the back door & they are feral.

Last edited:
This is rubbish, most natives are resistant to 1080 and thats why it is used, it occurs naturally in native plants.

you could be right ..anything i say basically im just "reckoning" on what i think i know or heard whatever lol

like anything i spose it depends what info you source ..some biased hippy might have told me what i said..i do remember it was in tassie that i "learnt" this lol ahhh every mans dream..a litlle map of tassie to call his own anyways i digress ..... the hippy might have had pretty pamphlets with pics and quotes from actual studies from australian unis etc to back his her claims you know with pretty pics of dead critters etc etc..spose i could make the same on my computer saying anything i wanted it to and they mighta done the same so i dunno lol ..i stand correctable if not corrected ^_~

annnd lol an after thought what if those critters that eat the carcasses are other cats or birds maybe then and they fall in the river / dams hmm into human food source animals blah blah ..buggered if i know but whatever source it was seemed convincing lol

either way so's not steal someones thread i think cats owners lol should be licenced but like has been in said then the law needs enforcing as far as kerfew whatever because in gladstone qld the law was cats indoors at night hahaha "heeeere puss puss puss" tapping on the can meanwhile and its on a killing spree in flock of wild budgies ( although more often a flock of some other imported pest bird). rofl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back