Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaih

Reaction score
Hey
i was wonderin if it would be alright to feed my snakes Guinea pigs, would there be any risk of worms or anything like that if so could i treat it then feed them to my snakes????

i bred Guinea Pigs for quite some time....a lady has bought them from me for deliberate breeding for feed for her fully grown Olive Pythons...she stated
because of the leg length of the pig...it wasnt advisable to feed to a average sized snake...& never feed them alive(not that anyone would..if concerned for their health)
but on that note if you have a fully grown snake of larger size....breed the Guinea Pig yourself...to ensure they are healthy & worm free
they dont take to worming well
I remember she only wanted the American or English short Hair variety...as they were better for consumption?...
i dont own a snake yet....so another members opinion on the fur length may help

I buy baby guinea pigs from my herp shop when they are out of rats, and my bredli loves them! But they are frozen of course. These were all short hair. I don't think they would have a problem with the size of the legs

dazza74 yes not a problem even try rabbits
Yes I agree, Pigs are a great food source and so are rabbits.
Just make sure the pigs and bunnies have been frozen 1st, just to kill any parasites in them.
What are you feeding them to?
This is Kramer, he loves his bunnies and pigs.

Attachments

• Kramer & Bunny.jpg
    Kramer & Bunny.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 48
I personally would NOT feed guinea pigs to snakes as the hair on a cavy is very course and snakes do have a bit of trouble digesting it properly - but the choice is yours i am sure there is those that disagree,
cheers Varinidae

No worries with Guinea Pigs.
I've been breeding and feeding my big coastals these for a year or so now.
They are also born with hair and running around. Not like mice and rat pinkies.
Always frozen though as with all food.

wow. that snake looks HUGE!!
Yes he is a big boy now.
Thats why I recommend feeding big snakes guinea pigs and rabbits.
Just like moving a smaller python up from mice to rats.
Pigs & Bunnies have less fat & a greater bone density, so a larger python will get more nutrition digesting the bones. Helping them to grow big strong and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back