Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rage_83

Not so new Member
Reaction score
got another quick question for the more learned people on here.

Scrubbies.

are the morelia amesthine or kinghorni??

I have spoke to a few different people and i get a differing oppinion.

thats what i thought but ive just argued with a few people about it and seen it on a couple of sites suggesting that they are kinghorni so yeah i dunno anymore

yer morelia amesthine is wat it says in all my books

The Australian Scrubbie is Morelia kinghorni and the Indonesian is Morelia amethistina.

rage, pretty much that though there is a bigger difference in them than say the differences in carpet Subspecies or localities. The Aussie Scrubs are the biggest and baddest of all the Morelia.. Randy

well then the next questoin should be what is a kinghorni like a foto would help

I have read that they used to be classified as Liasis???? But classed as Morelia more recently.

Rage, what's a foto??

Here you go, this is a kinghorni from north of Cairns.
DSC_0036-1.jpg

"Reading straight from Mark O"Shae's book "Boas and Pythons of the World",

"the scrub
or Amethystine python was long considered a single,widely distributed, Indo-Australian species, consisting of the nominate New Guinea- eastern Indonesian subspecies and a Queensland, Australia subspecies...... but a recent and significant study of the scrub python complex not only elevated the Queensland population to full specific status (Morelia kinghorni), but also identified 3 new species from the island to the west of New Guinea(Morelia amethistina)".

Hope this helps:)

certainly does but you need to include the publication details.

certainly does but you need to include the publication details.
Sorry, Pg 139-140 Boas and Pythons of the world by Mark O'Shea, published 2007 by New Holland Publishers (UK) Ltd
Really good book!:)

M.kinghorni is the Australian species, and definitely not Liasis.

There is some debate over the attribution of the Liasis genus and is used by the Qld EPA to describe Childrens, Spotteds and Stimsons pythons.

M.kinghorni is the Australian species, and definitely not Liasis.

There is some debate over the attribution of the Liasis genus and is used by the Qld EPA to describe Childrens, Spotteds and Stimsons pythons.

That's strange. Most now recognise the "children's group" which comprises Spotteds, Stimmies, Childrens and Pygmy Pyhtons in their own genus of antaresia. The taxonomic review was done some years ago now.

Liaisis is now left (in Aust anyway) for just the olive python and water python.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back