Hello hello hello! =) and a quick question lol

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princesspython

Reaction score
hi to all! im hayley, looking forward to meeting you all, seem like a nice bunch :) . i have got a 3 mth old coastal carpet python, and im trying to find out the 'rules' for handling after feeding, do i need to wait for a certain amount of time before i handle her?

thanks heaps!

Cheers, Hails:)

welcome

hey there Hayley:D
you should give her a couple of days to settle in and get use to her enclosure and then try to only handel her two or three times a week.
Give her a bit of time to let her food settle before you handel her..........How big was her feed?
Put up some pics if you have any.
Cheers.

Thanks heaps for the fast reply :) she has been in her enclosure for about 6 weeks, she was at my brother in laws place but he decided he didnt want her ( hasnt been handling her much either, shes a bit snappy so i called her princess - coz shes behaving like one lol) she had a pinky rat this afternoon and has come to live with me. havent taken any pics yet but will in next couple days

cheers, Hails

Hi Hayley & welcome to APS. Give her a couple of days after a feed. We usually handle every day. Our 2 Bredlis are really good to handle, Cody [ coastal ] is definitely getting better [ he only tagged me 4 times yesterday instead of his usual 8 or 9 !] And Angel...well.. we had her out today [ yes, still using the gloves :p ] She bit 3 times and what an impressive hiss! Not much improvement there, I'm afraid! Still hopeful though.
I look forward to seeing pics of Princess. Have you chosen your next snake? It's an addiction... an obsession even....you'll see...hahahaha! ;)

Congrats on your coastal, too bad for your bro ay! I've got a two and a half yo female and a 5 month old male
And niether one has ever bit me, Maybe i got lucky! but they are both well tempered and good looking...
Same as aus_jason i try to feed em mid week so we can handle them on the weekends, thou mine love to crap on me!
The missus reckons it's cause they love me, but im begining to wonder........
Welcome to the hobby, and keep your eyes out for cheep enclosures, you'll need em... it is indeed an addiction

thanks heaps for the info, and actually yes i have picked out my next one lol, i want either a diamond or jungle python coz they both look stunning. i have held her at my bro's place she bites mostly when he got her outta the enclosure but then she was ok so we will see :) ok off to work for me, catch yas later!

thanks again for the help

cheers, Hails

Hails,
use a hook to get her out of her enclosure and then handel her.
I can't believe your bro in law didn't want her.........Is he nuts????
How often are you feeding her?
Cheers.

shes getting a pinky rat weekly currently, thats what we were told to do. how much is it gonna hurt when she tags me lol?? she really is cantankerous and strikes even through the glass shes actually closer to 4 mths old and would be getting close to 2 feet long. i have read that wearing gloves is not recommended but i reckon she gonna repeatedly bite me so im interested to know how much that may hurt hahaha

not much

You will probably find that she will nose you rather than bite and even if she does bite it wont hurt its more of a shock than anything.
also when you put your hand in towards her present it flat like a wall towards her so she cant get her mouth around it.
I think you should probably increase her feed two two pinkies per week about 10 mins apart as she might be striking because she is still hungry.
My little girl is on three pinkies a week and she is 4 mths old.
heres a pic so you can see what size pinkies i am talking about.
see how ya go.
Cheers.

Attachments

• DSC01217.jpg
    DSC01217.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
hey Hails, where d'ya hail from?? (bad pun i know :p)

Welcome to the site and hobby. Your lil coastal sounds like a typical hatchy hehe and don't worry, she won't hurt if she bites ya, you get used to it especially with jungles like my critters :lol:

Most calm down with age and handling, though I woudn't recommend handling more than once or twice a week and not for too long then either.
Also I'd give her around 3-4 days after eating if you're wanting to handle her, depends on how fast her digestion is.

Anyways, best of luck :D

thals

thanks so much to everyone for your advice, you are all a very informative lot and have been extremely helpful.
she did take another rat Jodocast, the snake in your pic looks about the same sorta size and the rat was as well. will see how she goes on that, i get cranky when im hungry too lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back