Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be crossing your subspecies??

• Yes, I look forward to creating something unique and interesting.

Votes: 110 17.1%
  • I would consider it if I thought there was a market for them.

Votes: 38 5.9%
  • I would consider it if they looked really good.

Votes: 96 14.9%
  • No, I would never ever do it, keep things pure IMO.

Votes: 290 45.0%
  • I would keep one as a pet, but would never breed it.

Votes: 110 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What conclusion?? You just confirmed what I said in the quote you used. There is a good bit of difference between 'I Believe" and "I Know" and what the heck Donkey's have to do with I don't know...Randy

hello
( i haven't found the place where to present myself :) )
i'm french and i would'nt cross , because in europe if we start crossing in a few years , we won't be able to find any pure australian's pythons . if people want to play there is enough other species that's are already more or less made for it .

Well, why not?
Were already playing God, arent we?
Go crazy, I say...

u are a fool if u cross australian snakes. thay are better the the way nature made them

i don't see why any serious breeder would cross even just from a bussiness point of veiw. pures are worth mroe $$$, esp if it's a pure local of a species and there's a better market for them, i think we've all seen the anti cross sentiment out there

God loves diversity of his creatures. And there is no reason why a cross isnt as cool as a purebread.
For an example, I have two dogs, one purebread staffy (Jub-jub) and a kelpie/staffy (Max)
Now, I love them both more than anything, but its painfully obvious that Jub-jub is dumb as a brick....no, really...I have never met a dumber dog in my life... while Max in as cunning as a fox. Also, Jub-jub owes me thousands in vet bills from skin problems, ear infections etc etc. All the nasties that comes with a pure bread, while Max on the otherhand hasnt cost me a cent in treatments since his puppy vaccinations.
So, there it is...
If it can happen, let it happen...
As long as the animals doesnt suffer, that is...

God loves diversity of his creatures. And there is no reason why a cross isnt as cool as a purebread.
For an example, I have two dogs, one purebread staffy (Jub-jub) and a kelpie/staffy (Max)
Now, I love them both more than anything, but its painfully obvious that Jub-jub is dumb as a brick....no, really...I have never met a dumber dog in my life... while Max in as cunning as a fox. Also, Jub-jub owes me thousands in vet bills from skin problems, ear infections etc etc. All the nasties that comes with a pure bread, while Max on the otherhand hasnt cost me a cent in treatments since his puppy vaccinations.
So, there it is...
If it can happen, let it happen...
As long as the animals doesnt suffer, that is...

Theyre the same species......

Ok, but what about the crossing of the domestic cat and the asian leopard cat? That turned in to the awesome Bengal cat. It is an now established hybrid wich looks better than any old farm cat.
marbledcat.jpg

I am a major cross breeder.

I cross breeders off my list if I find they are messing with garbage hybrids.

one day we (reptile breeders) may be called on to repopulate an area othat has been made extinc with our captive breed snakes . If we ca't maintain a strong pure bloodline some snakes may become rare and endangered in the wild with no way of brining the population back. This has happend in the Bird industry where the only existing bierd remained in breeders hands, they became part of a breeding program to re-introduce these birds back into the wild....yes this program did happen and did work.

Im of 2 minds.
Its good to keep the breeds pure, but
sometimes the cross breeds are realy pretty.
I dont know...

Dragon1

I housed a female diamond and what was supposed to be a female jungle together while moving house,and all my cages were dismantled.they were together for 4 days while moving.The result was 10 absolutely gorgeous little hybrids.I sold off 8 (as hybrids) cheaply and kept 2 for myself.Although I wouldnt set out to cross breed,when it happened I couldnt bring myself to not incubate the eggs

I housed a female diamond and what was supposed to be a female jungle together while moving house,and all my cages were dismantled.they were together for 4 days while moving.The result was 10 absolutely gorgeous little hybrids.I sold off 8 (as hybrids) cheaply and kept 2 for myself.Although I wouldnt set out to cross breed,when it happened I couldnt bring myself to not incubate the eggs

you dont happen to have any photos do you??

one day we (reptile breeders) may be called on to repopulate an area othat has been made extinc with our captive breed snakes . If we ca't maintain a strong pure bloodline some snakes may become rare and endangered in the wild with no way of brining the population back. This has happend in the Bird industry where the only existing bierd remained in breeders hands, they became part of a breeding program to re-introduce these birds back into the wild....yes this program did happen and did work.

great argument, but i can't get my mind around comparing carpet pythons with spix macaws. you are joking aren't you?

Stewart,
This is exactly my opinion. Look at all the typing you saved me.

Last year I was sold 4 hatchling "coastal carpets" for $100 each. The people had to move from QLD to WA and could not take their beloved pets. I said I'd give them all a good home. Those "coastals"... have turned out to look like jungle pythons, and they ARE black and yellow, very yellow. I was a bit shocked about that.

So what are they? Are they coastals, cos that's what they were sold to me as, or are they jungles... or are they some kind of mixture in between? How do I find out? And regardless of their lineage or genetic make-up, they're stunning snakes, the types people pay hundreds for. Their beautiful and I wouldn't hesitate in letting them reproduce.

The more people who come up with their gut feeling on this, and stop being sheep following the flock, the more interesting this thread could turn out to be.

Lauren

For the record, I don't give a rat's if people breed hybrids (at any taxonomical level). The animals are in captivity and, unless the health and well-being of the animal is compromised, I don't see why it matters. Sure, people can then start selling hybrid animals as pure-bred ones, but there's nothing stopping them from doing that now.

I also think that crossing subspecies is very similar to crossing a coastal carpet from north Queensland with a coastal carpet from south Queensland. You can legally do that because they're on paper as the same species, but the event would never occur in the wild. So what's the difference between crossing a diamond python with a coastal carpet? That's not a rhetorical question - I'm happy for an anti-hybrid person to enlighten me.

While we're here, can anyone actually offer a definition of 'subspecies'? (Again, that's not a rhetorical.)

And, also for the record, I have no interest in knowingly breeding hybrids.

Stewart

Are you suggesting we get ourselves a bure-bred pedigree dog, or a mongrel... or if a permit allows should we take some European wolves from the wild and breed a couple, so long as we are entrusted with keeping them pure..

Where do you think all dogs came from. The problem is not them being crossed / hybridised and domesticated. The problem is keeping captive separate to wild.

So any strongly enforced laws for permits, should be those that stop us from releasing a captive bred animal into the wild.

Domestic dogs being released has really damaged pure wild populations of the Dingo. There's a fine example.

But so long as the captive animals aren't being released I don't think it should matter.

When you say 20 years in front for pure bred animals, do you mean pure-captive bred animals, or pure animals from the wild. I think our wild populations of snake are still pretty pure, so probably are the US's

Guess which one I picked,
Keep them pure, It is our Australian wildlife we are entrusted to keep on license.
If you can't respect that - then maybe you should just get a cat, dog, rabbit etc.
We don't have to follow the yanks - we have the animals they all want - learn by the mistakes over there,
improve on it here - we are 20 years behind them on hybridizing but 20 years in front of them for Pure animals.
If they ever allow legal exporting of our reptiles - guess which ones the yanks will want??

Well put Aspidites.

I'd suggest there would be very few people on here who have bred reptiles that haven't produced hybrids by your definition then, cris.

How many people actually asked what locality their animals are? How many people were given an answer? How many people were given an honest answer? Unless your animals are WC by yourself, you have no certain way to know the locality of the animal. Anyone can say an animal is from locality X, but that doesn't mean it is.

If I want to see native wildlife I go out in the wild to see it... not to somebody's home reptile collection.

", why support hybrid breeding in the first place when we have such an array of beautiful native wildlife available?[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back