Tasmanian tiger DNA comes alive in mouse

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is seriously considering releasing cloned Tigers back into the wild.
Interesting Sdaji, I never though about it, but once I did, it's clear that you are right.
Given that there are areas of Tassie that are prime tiger country that even today have never been explored, it's clear that they could not have been hunted to extinction.

Surely it wouldnt be the same thing that is killing the devils??
Are the carnivorous marsupials more easily affected by disease
than the herbivorous ones?

not sure if anyones said it yet, i was to lazy to read the rest of the posts haha but my tafe teacher for Animal Studies said the thing killing the devils is cancer, they've found that devils have some how been able to transfer cancer cells to each other through bites from those already effected.
Its only a new discovery according to him.
its kinda scary though, imagine if cancer was transferable to us? :shock:

I listened to this on ABC radio, and they basically said it would be near impossible to clone an entire tassie tiger
because they would need every peice of the puzzle, this was just one that they had managed to get working.

If they did, it would be neat to see some at Zoos etc, but like magpie said its unlikely they are looking to ever release
anything back, even if it was possible to clone another population...

I could go some Velociraptors though :)

But i had read last year on a website that was farely recent that there has been a recent siteing of a tazzy tiger in tasmania, but this was last year sometime i had read this

Sorry for asking the question Professor Sdaji about scientific documentation. I just wanted to read the info that you have read that's all!
I didn't realise that you were the sensitive type. lol
I also don't believe everything I am told by people that read a document and profess they are the be all and end all on a particular subject..lolly lol lol :)
50% of the topics on APS lately are non herp related, but who cares lol lol

:lol:

There are still plenty of areas in Tasmania which are too remote for humans to be able to access in any significant way. If the Thylacines were still alive and well now, we still wouldn't be able to wipe them out by hunting them with guns, even if we actually wanted to fully exterminate them. Back then they had even less capability of doing so. It always amuses me when people on APS demand evidence and references to links :lol: This is just a reptile chat forum, remember? :lol: Use a tiny bit of common sense, put two and two together and if you still aren't convinced that they were wiped out by disease, well, I suppose you can run off and believe whatever makes you happy :) Have fun :) Alternatively, if you actually are interested enough, do some of your own research. The only reason there is still any credibility to the ridiculous notion that people manually wiped them out is that many humans desperately want to believe that their own species is evil (a curious phenomenon). That feeling is demonstrated well all over the place, including in this thread. I really don't care about whether it was disease or hunting, the evidence is just so incredibly clear. Yes, many were killed, but so what? If someone released a disease which wiped out the Cane Toads, would you say "Well, that might have done it, but it was mainly due to the millions upon millions which were killed on the roads"? Hmm... sadly, some people actually would think that. Oh well.

If it makes the bleeding hearts who are set on persecuting their own species and happier, humans almost certainly did introduce the disease, quite likely it was carried on the animals people brought in. No, it's probably not the same thing as the one which is killing the devils, certainly not the same strain.

Have fun arguing if you like, this is one of those cases of something being so obvious it is stupid to discuss at any length, and I can't see it being fun, so I'll leave the thread now. Enjoy it if you choose to stay :)

Ok so you somehow manage to extract DNA from a thylacine and clone it, then what? Seems a breeding program is not going to happen unless they dig up a few dozen more preserved specimens

Ok so you somehow manage to extract DNA from a thylacine and clone it, then what? Seems a breeding program is not going to happen unless they dig up a few dozen more preserved specimens
That's an interesting point to bring up.
At least it's a start. If they can grow up a real animal, then biologists suddenly have an infinite supply of DNA to work with.

That's an interesting point to bring up.
At least it's a start. If they can grow up a real animal, then biologists suddenly have an infinite supply of DNA to work with.
Yes but as i understand the process every clone is an "identical twin", makes sexual reproduction rather difficult not to mention inbreeding ;)

I don't think anyone is seriously considering releasing cloned Tigers back into the wild.
Interesting Sdaji, I never though about it, but once I did, it's clear that you are right.
Given that there are areas of Tassie that are prime tiger country that even today have never been explored, it's clear that they could not have been hunted to extinction.

I don't buy the theory that because of remote wilderness that they couldn't have been hunted to extinction, Northern Australia has plently of remote wilderness but hunters managed to get saltwater croc populations down to under 5000 until the government stepped in an outlawed it in the 70's preventing their extinction

Yes I agree that disease was a major factor but disease has a much higher mortality rate on a species already decimated by hunting so I believe that the hunting of the tigers was a major contributor in their demise.

Regardless of the reasons the Thylacine research I believe has far more to do with the scientists trying to push the boundaries and see what is possible than trying to bring back a wiped out species

Cheers
Rob

The Disease is almost certainly the cause. Sure hunting didn't help but disease did most of the work!!! Don't think so??? Then how do you explain the epidemic that devastated the quoll populations on both Tassie and the mainland??

and also with settlement came land clearing and introduction of pasture and with that came an explosion in wallaby numbers. so theoretically with that an explosion in numbers of predators should have came about also. which really is just more for the case that it was disease or a virus effecting them.

How about all the sightings of Thylacines on the mainland?
I personally know of some people who saw one back in the 80`s on an isolated property at Cobar, NSW and there is no doubt in their minds that what they saw was a Tassie tiger

How about all the sightings of Thylacines on the mainland?
I personally know of some people who saw one back in the 80`s on an isolated property at Cobar, NSW and there is no doubt in their minds that what they saw was a Tassie tiger

feral dogs. a greyhound type could easily be mistaken as a thylacine.

if they manage to clone it in its entirety, i hope they try the dodo bird next! they looked awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back