Mushrooms - ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs I

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what these mushrooms are, my daughter found them growing in the used rabbit hay today, she thinks they are very pretty like flowers and wanted to know what they are,

Any help would be great..

Cheers

Mrs I

xxx

Last edited:
Toadstools are mushrooms - just a different name for them...

I can't identify them sorry - But there are a bunch of mushroom identifying keys eg http://www.fungaljungal.org/key/key.html

Try them out.

Most shrooms are toxic, but not all shrooms are toxic to all animals :)

Some have lovely effects others do not...

They look like blue meanies and they are well past their use by date..
The blue discoloration is an indication of the poison that is in the toadstool...
Do not touch them or put them on a pizza

They only come up overnight last night they were not there yesterday and you can see in the pictures some smaller ones that are unopened.

I remember getting up early ours to pick ''mushies'' when i was younger but cannot remember seeing ones like this,

Thanks slim6y i will check it out.

They look like blue meanies and they are well past their use by date..
The blue discoloration is an indication of the poison that is in the toadstool...
Do not touch them or put them on a pizza
LOL, you have to squeeze the stem to see if there Blue Meanies...LOL and yeas if so, past their used by date.

Toadstools are mushrooms - just a different name for them...

Sorry to differ here Slim6y, but toadstools and mushrooms are definitely two seperate things. Always have been, always will be. It is dangerous to assume otherwise. I refer you to the FungiBank where they state:-

"In the strictest sense, the word ‘mushroom’ refers only to members of the genus Agaricus, e.g. the cultivated white button mushroom. ‘Toadstool’ is typically applied to any fungus with a cap and stem that appears different from Agaricus, regardless of its edibility, or more usually if it is suspected or known to be poisonous. In a broader sense, ‘toadstools’ also includes other non-mushroom forms of fungi such as puffballs, earthstars, and coral fungi. "

Toadstools are mushrooms - just a different name for them... (I said that)

Dipcdame said this:
Sorry to differ here Slim6y, but toadstools and mushrooms are definitely two seperate things. Always have been, always will be. It is dangerous to assume otherwise. I refer you to the FungiBank where they state:-

"In the strictest sense, the word ‘mushroom’ refers only to members of the genus Agaricus, e.g. the cultivated white button mushroom. ‘Toadstool’ is typically applied to any fungus with a cap and stem that appears different from Agaricus, regardless of its edibility, or more usually if it is suspected or known to be poisonous. In a broader sense, ‘toadstools’ also includes other non-mushroom forms of fungi such as puffballs, earthstars, and coral fungi. "

You can disagree all you like without being sorry:

Toadstool A member of the Agaricales or Boletales with an inedible fruiting body. (http://www.world-of-fungi.org/Mostly_Mycology/Jon_Dixon/glossary.htm#t)

Toadstool - A popular, but undefined term for a mushroom. May also imply a poisonous mushroom. (http://www.main.nc.us/naturenotebook/fungi/fungalterms.html)

toadstool (common name for an inedible or poisonous agaric (contrasting with the edible mushroom)) (

The term "toadstool" is nowadays used in storytelling when referring to poisonous or suspect mushrooms. The classic example of a toadstool is Amanita muscaria. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toadstool#Mushroom_vs._toadstool)

You know I like it when I get challenged - because if I am wrong I will admit it... But if I don't think so I will prove it to myself otherwise.

Believe what you will....

Fact one: A mushroom is a fruiting body of a fungi....

Fact two: A toadstool is a fruiting body of a fungi....

hmmmmm so if a mushroom is a fruiting body of a fungi and a toadstool is a fruiting body of a fungi doesn't that make them the same thing?

:lol:

Both terms are colloquial anyway - scientifically speaking from a mycology point of view - they're all just fruiting bodies formed from mycellial growth.

:)

Depends on the size but they look they could be smooth ink caps (the inky mess used to be used to make Indian Ink!) If that's what they are, then when they are young they are edible and yummy, but poisonous if combined with alcohol! I would avoid them regardless. Shaggy ink caps (lawyers wigs) develop that ink when they age but are very edible.

However if you are considering eating them, be 100% in your identification. I only really eat shaggy ink caps, ceps and saffron milk caps picked from the wild because these are really hard to confuse with anything else. Even a field mushroom can easily be mistaken for 3 or 4 highly poisonous mushrooms!

PS anyone who lives over near Oberon on the west side of the Blue Mountains? Are there still mushies growing in the state forests?

NOTE: make sure your daughter doesn't tougch them - if they are poisonous, even touching them and then putting her hands in her mouth can make her really sick! Use a stick to poke them and turn them over if you aren't 100% what variety they are!

Slim6y, Cats are animals, Dogs are animals, both are mammals........... does that make them the same?

Slim6y, Cats are animals, Dogs are animals, both are mammals........... does that make them the same?

Apples are fruit, pumpkins are fruit does that make them the same?

Sorry, but that kind of comment is very unproductive.

Fungi produce toadstools and mushrooms - both are the fruiting bodies of the mycellial growth - correct?

They both are colloquial terms - correct?

If you want to argue it go for it - I never said you're wrong, you just said I was....

I am telling you you're correct but so am I....

Toadstools and mushrooms are the same thing... and you to have pointed that out by saying that a mushroom refers to one type of fruiting body and a toadstool refers to all others - though I suggested this was just a colloquial term that covers both mushroom and toadstool together :)

And the links I provided you also show that.

The argument is purely redundant - we're both not wrong :)

*** EDIT ***

And to back up my statements from your link:

The terms ‘mushroom’ and ‘toadstool’ are subjective rather than strictly scientific, and therefore are open to a range of loose interpretations. In general, fungi with fruit bodies that have a cap more or less centrally placed on top of a stem are referred to as ‘mushrooms’, or as ‘mushrooms and toadstools’.

So I think that solves your mystery - toadstools and mushy's are the same thing as is a holden manaro and a ford mustang - both are cars :)

PS - Go on, argue that pumpkin aren't fruit! :p

Good links slim,
Thanks for not having a hissy fit stomping out ect..
when challenged,
and backing up your statements with the links.
(shows a maturity that seems to be lacking in some of our intelligetcia)
Its just a matter of "you say tomato and i say tomuto".

A pumpkin is a fruit???

Last edited:
Yes, by the very definition of fruit - a pumpkin is a seed bearing fruiting body of a plant :)

I don't throw hissy fits - haha... I wouldn't make a very good teacher if I did that :p

LOL fair point Slim6y, it worries me however that someone may get the wrong idea about mushrooms / toadstools, and the poisonous ones, thinking as they are all the same., they are all edible.
Yes, in that way, the vegetable punpkin is indeed a fruit of the vine, so to speak, just like grapes and tomatoes, both of which are fruits and the apple is a stone fruit, the same as peaches ets.

This is getting really interesting now!!!!!

haha... Dipcdame - the apple is a pip fruit (nyahahaha) the peach and apricot family are all stone fruits.

Sorry - this correcting thing is becoming smart assed now :p

I read up on shroom poisoning and the most common poisoning occurs in children or people looking to get high. the general population will avoid fungi which is a good form of natural selection :)

Personally, if it grows in the ground and I didn't plant it and I can't fully identify it then I will not eat it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back