1st Aid Query.......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbellybite

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Just wondering wether you know what to do when bitten by your reptile or a wild one .....so what do you do if bitten by a venomous snake?......what do you do if bitten by a large python ? ... what do you do if bitten by a monitor or a good size lizard?..... just curious as to know how many actually know what to do in a situation and how they would handle it .....:p

my job requires a senior first aid &cpr update every year. I dont keep vens but if bitten by a wild ven - apply pressure bandage, immobilise, seek medical aid etc. With large non-venomous bites (which I have experienced lol) that are bleeding - apply pressure to the wound and if necessary, seek medical aid.

Ven Bite, Apply PIB s all the way up the limb. Stay calm and still, Call ambo s. Have done this a few times and im still here....yay.
Python bite, lizzard bite - Isocol to kill of germs, remove any brocken teeth from the bite site, bandaids, Glass or 2 or 3 of Jim beam for the pain.

You may also need to treat the snake for any food poisoning:)

Ven Bite, Apply PIB s all the way up the limb. Stay calm and still, Call ambo s. Have done this a few times and im still here....yay.
Python bite, lizzard bite - Isocol to kill of germs, remove any brocken teeth from the bite site, bandaids, Glass or 2 or 3 of Jim beam for the pain.

You may also need to treat the snake for any food poisoning:)
I was told when i did a first aid course afew weeks back that you apply the pressure bandage by rolling away from the heart if that makes sence

Last edited:
I was told when i did a first aid course afew weeks back that you apply the pressure bandage by rolling away from the heart if that makes sence

The proper way is, For exsample, say you were bitten on the wrist, wrap the bandage firmly around the bite site, then go down to the tip of your fingers, then double back all the way up the limb to your arm pit. In most cases a minimum 2 PIB s are required.
Use a third bandage/belt/rope to tie a splint to the arm to help keep it still. Mark the bite site and time bitten. Then stay calm and still. Go to your happy place (think positive).

Cheers
dee

Venomouse snake bite

DO NOT wash the bite, the hospital will take a swab from the bite and send it to the lab to confirm what type of snake it was. They will do this even if you tell them it was a redbelly , Eastern brown, whatever.
Keep calm and get a pressure bandage on the limb, call an ambulance or if it's quicker get someone to drive u to hospital. You will remain in hospital while they monitor your vitals for a minimum of 12hours.
Sounds like fun... hey!

glad to see people do know ,in the case of buffys comment drive if its quicker you should always ring the 000 1st and let them know a suspected snake bite is comming to what ever hospital you are going to... hope this helps some people out who werent quiet sure on what to do as was said ven bite seek medical aid bandage and remain calm other bites treat with great care wash wound properly and take general notice making sure over the following days that your not getting a infection, reptile bites are full of nasty bacteria and infections can and do happen....

in the case of a python bite - take lots of pics and post the best looking ones here - where they are most welcome - the more red in the pic, the better!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back