Bikes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vince, I just bought an Avanti escape, like Fore I consider this the "cheapest" i would go with a bike at around $550.

I recently bought a Malvern Star - Hurricane. I do around 100km a week and it's a great bike. Had it for 6mths and had it servised once so far. Cost just under $400 so you don't need to spend big bucks. They are just like a car, keep them maintained and they will go for ever.

601540-1.jpg

Unlike so many car drivers that i see every day:rolleyes:
Seriously, is 10 seconds REALLY that important to so many people?
If the government would allocate 5% of road spending to building decent bike paths / lanes the problem would be solved.

Maybe what needs to be done is that cyclists should pay registration as well to use the roads, would induce a little more responsibility i think as well
I pay for my car and my motorcycle to ride on the road, why should money be allocated for cyclists when registration paying motorists are putting up with crap roadways
No offence to any bike riders, but the roads are crap enough, fix them then worry bout bus lanes.....Epping road for example, what a waste of time and money !!

for starters, aside from children, most riders already pay rego on their cars, and pay for road upkeep....

and given bikes don't degrade roads like cars... why should they subsidise a car?

maybe if car drivers (the vast majority) learnt to drive like they AREN'T the only ones with a right to the road....

Maybe what needs to be done is that cyclists should pay registration as well to use the roads, would induce a little more responsibility i think as well
I pay for my car and my motorcycle to ride on the road, why should money be allocated for cyclists when registration paying motorists are putting up with crap roadways
No offence to any bike riders, but the roads are crap enough, fix them then worry bout bus lanes.....Epping road for example, what a waste of time and money !!

McBoob.... my rule, as a wheel rider (i ride the motorised ones too) is:
there are 2 types of car drivers
those who can't see you, they will kill you
and those that can see you, but don't care, and they will kill you

[/quote]

Oh i understand, i ride a motorcycle around Sydney metro and nearly everyday i am cut off or have to avoid an accident because people just dont look.
Thank god for a horn is all i can say, i may be a noisy bitch in your blind spot but you know i'm there

for starters, aside from children, most riders already pay rego on their cars, and pay for road upkeep....

and given bikes don't degrade roads like cars... why should they subsidise a car?

maybe if car drivers (the vast majority) learnt to drive like they AREN'T the only ones with a right to the road....

Fair enough some people do pay rego for cars to use them on public roads.
If you have 2 cars.............. u pay 2 lots of registration, if you want to ride another form of transport on the road and want money allocated for this from our government budget then pay for it !!

I agree that drivers can be aggressive but you are going to get that whether you are on a bike or in a car

I ride a motorised bike and have never had a accident on it as i know i have to think for the car driver as well as myself . Just think what the car driver can do to harm you and avoid that . I always ride the bike as if i am driving a car , obey all road rules and do not take unnessary risks .I ride at least 200 k a week mainly for recreation so do not have to fight traffic in peak times .
Yes i do have insurance provided through Bicycle Queensland . As for registraion i have a car and 2 motorbikes registered so feel i am providing enough to the gov already, but then the bikes are my passion , 2nd only to my reptiles. Oh the rodents fit in there somewhere too .
Barry

The main reason for rego is to pay for the upkeep of the roads...Taking into account the amount of damage done to roads by bikes compared to cars, trucks, buses etc... i figure bike riders, if they have to pay rego, should pay about $5 a year which wouldn't even cover the administration costs...A total waste of time and money in my opinion, unless you want to charge about $100 and then how do you decide who has to pay??? Do kids have to have a registered bike to ride to their friends house???? What about riding up to the shop to get some milk do you need a registered bike then???? It's absolutely ridiculous saying bike riders should pay rego.......

Ben

How would you police bicycle registration? Would you make a 4 year old on his first bike pay it? How do you govern who is a commuter and who is recreational?

Every bike on the road is making life easier for drivers. There roads will last better and there is less congestion... and not to mention that significant reduction in green house gas emissions, reduced load on our hospitals and medical services due to health benefits etc. etc.

If is a no brainer really!

Thinks of a four lane road that is currently congested. If half the road users switched from cars to bikes they could easily fit into a single lane leaving 3 lanes for the remaining half that feel the need to drive their cars.

Another major benefit of commuting by bike is that you arrive at your destination less stressed. It is very difficult to feel frustrated or stressed when you are exercising. I get to work feeling happy and relaxed and arrive home the same way - regardless of how bad a day I have had.

I have recently (the past couple of months) started riding my bike again. It probably hadn't been used for the best part of six years or so - I am really enjoying it and have definately seen a noticable improvement in fitness and stamina...

...I will be looking for a new bike shortly (one that isn't over ten years old :D) with the view of improving my fitness even more and ultimately mountain biking/herping on it...

I live far too far from work at the moment to contemplate a ride - however am hoping to work closer to home in the not too distant future as well, at which point I will also ride my bike to work...

...the benefits are very high in every regard...

When I look at cost, my car costs me the best part of $100 per week in fuel as it is. A few hundred on a bike will be paid back within months...

When are you getting rid of your training wheel? That just makes things too easy. I ride a unicycle by the way, anyone else out their?

This is a real bike

No brakes, one gear and you use leather straps to hold your feet to the pedals.

tn_IMG_7808.JPG

i paid $1.72 for diesel last week, so its only coming out on special occasions for now, got my mountain bike out and its doing 10x the riding that it normally does and im getting 10x fitter than I normally am..oh yeaa..:D

bought a 'flash' electric scooter/moped off my brother, who bought it back from china on the ship he works on, went to register it..only to find out that its not an australian standard and cannot be registered..curse you flimsy chinese plastic crap...bempbowwww..back to pedal power..trusty mountain bike..ahhh..;)

will use the scooter on dads farm to ride down and check the mail box :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back