will yabbies eat beef?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think colour has more to do with water quality but i might be completely wrong as I'm sure someone will let me know:), I had one for years who was fed mainly on vegies, snow peas carrot even fish food flakes. his tank had a filter but still got completely cleaned out reguarly. He was the brightest blue I had seen. I remember when i used to catch them out of dams they were all a dirty blue

Casey, reading that, I think your totally right. But out west, this place I go to called Moonie, we get Yabbie's from there, and the one's with the eggs are alway light in colour, practicley white and the other's are a very bright blue, yet a dirty colouration to it and this water is dirty but swimable.

1 has these brown dirt like camoflage spots and without them it would be clear (If thats possible) and the other has the same but the clear has a bluish tint(the bluish 1 is smaller, if that matters).

Sexing yabbies can be difficult and it really does not matter what sex they are unless you plan on breeding them. It can be done however. Males have on a pair of legs two small extensions. Females have two small holes. Hard to explain so best to google it as pictures are available. Colouring has nothing to do with it. as has been said they change colour in different water values.

The best way I was told my my grandfather was the old 3 ring circus routine. For a female, on the middle set of legs on the part where they join the body, there should be rings. A ring on each. It is hard to find, but they are there.

A male has spurs on the same spot but on the rear legs.

I found this site and it says that the females have these dot things and the male have these apandages on there 4rth pair of legs.

will you can buy feeder fish from the petshop i can get like 10 for 6 dollars just put them in the tank with the yabbies feed the fish as you would and the yabbies will take them when they want, give them vegies as was said too but dont stress to much and yeah dont give them meat cubed as it does stink up your tank its disgusting and it can cause problems aswell ......

The males have a wart like extrusion at the base of their bottom pair of legs. the females have small bubble like dots at the base of the 3rd set of legs from the bottom. This is very easily seen on cherax destructor. We've got 6 dams on our property, 3 with yabbies, 3 with silver and golden perch. The dams without yabbies are clear, have amazing plants and are flourishing. The dams with yabbies are all murky and brown.
I've found that when keeping yabbies in captivity that males will get territorial if they are kept in an area less than a 2ft tank. Even that is pushing it for size.
If you're breeding them, lower the water height and stick in a fish tank heater. this will stimulate summer and get their reproductive organs going. Remove the males after the female has been in berry for a day or so. Once they drop off mum, take her out to a seperate tank. I've mostly just used tubs for the babys with a couple of rocks, and some rags tied in knots then tied to the rocks. the rags make amazing hiding places for the babies.
When you're feeding them, adult or babys, they will flourish on plant matter. boiled lettuce goes great, pea and carrots are tops and best of all is the (now noxious) fish tank weed elodia;.

Feed them a worm or two, they love them. But feed the normal earthworm, tigers and nightcrawlers are a little spicy for them.
You can get away with not feeding them at all if there is a bit of algae growing in the tank, as they generally eat the algae and keep the tank clean anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back